New Member Introductions thread
Jul 16, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #6,046 of 15,451
Hello members This is Dev.Im bit audiophile person.And bla bla bla...lot lot lot we can say:)...But I was searching information about lg g6 quad dac audio quality.Im very impressed that I got exact opinions about it.And later I went personally and checked its audio.I completely agree with members about its audio quality.( Specially "kantana" !) And also on bit few topics. And due to the similarities of tastes about audio I find here among members I joined here.Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #6,048 of 15,451
My account was approved today and now my registration is complete. I'm looking forward to learning more about hi-res audio. Just received a Teac UD-301 and having problems getting it to play nice with my computer. Or perhaps it's the other way around. Nevertheless, I will eventually post the issues I'm having and hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks!

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #6,049 of 15,451
Hi everyone! My name is Phil, I am a music lover. I have very modest equipment for now and I have a lot to learn before getting a audiophile quality rig. This forum is a mine of great information, thanks for your contributions!
I look forward to contributing to the many threads and learning as much as possible!

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #6,050 of 15,451
Hello my names Jacob or Eggz my dad won a pair of IT03s and gave them to me so I am now in love with listening to amazing quality music. I hope to learn a lot on this website.
If your interested in guitars and songwriting check out my Instagram @jacobmusicgilroy
Thanks guys!

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #6,053 of 15,451
Hello all,

I have enjoyed too many very interesting and informative threads here, so I had to join.

Big on headphones, speakers, amps (updating oldies but goodies), turntables/tonearms/cartridges, digital files (the higher the resolution the better), reel to reel, and even cassettes! Collector of projects and currently working on updating and rewiring a nice working pair of Yamaha's NS1000Ms (the original crossover caps were WAY off - aged!). I like listening to systems as much as I enjoy working on them. A really good classical or jazz piece or a good recording of some rock, or really any kind of beautiful music played on a really great system makes all the effort worthwhile.

Hope to learn from and share with you!

Thanks!
Pi

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #6,054 of 15,451
Hello, My name is Frank and I'm a Headphone Addict, or so it's starting to seem like that. Just getting into headphones and wanted to say what a great site this is. It's already helped me in my first tube amp purchase and headphone upgrade

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #6,055 of 15,451
Hi everyone. I started in car audio, but I have migrated to headphones in the last few years. I still like to put a nice system in my vehicles, but I focus more on clarity than having overwhelmingly amounts of bass. That is how I am with headphones. Bass must be sufficient, but clarity and separation are a must. As many of you, I have had many cans come and go over the years and I think I will be able to contribute a bit on this forum.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #6,056 of 15,451
Well, my max budget is around $300, I could maybe go up by like $50 if there was an awesome deal on a pair of headphones. As for music, I listen to a fairly large spread. I really enjoy alt rock and punk music, like Jack White and Blink-182, but I also like orchestral soundtracks and softer listening, such as the Avett Brothers or the Oh Hellos. Oh and I like Blues rock (think Alabama Shakes) a lot. I've looked at the HD 598 and the HD 600 some, as well as the ath msr7 and the Sony mdr1a. Haven't looked into amping or DACs really. I listen to most of my music using Tidal either on my phone (iPhone 6s) or my laptop.

Any and all pointers would be appreciated!

Edit: I also listen to John Mayer a fair amount, I think the quality of his recordings is generally superb, and he's an incredibly talented guitarist

Edit 2.0: I am also a musician and like to record so headphones that both sound good with music and are decent as monitors would be a plus
When reading this (I read it a couple times but didn't have the time till now to respond) I had a couple different opinions. First off! Good job with your descriptions on whats important to you. That helps big time! I also figured since I was in the first timers section I would write this to you, and to other members in general... Now, onto my thoughts...

I'm a big fan of the HD598 and also the 600... I have heard the 600 more then the 598 so I cant comment a lot on the 598 as much as 600. The 600 is how people usually describe it- Warm, decent sound staging, smooth listen but without a total lack of details. It can scale incredibly well with higher end gear. This headphone would do well with the orchestral soundtracks and softer listening. I also like them a lot with rock but that is just because I like rock music in general ha. I don't think they "add" anything to rock if that makes any sense. My buddy who owns one (we sell them in the store but do not have a demo of them) runs them out of a tube amp and the sound is addicting through his turn table. I get this sense of "being there" with that combo that he has. Mind you that his whole set up, including the headphones, would probably cost around 2K used? but anyways... thats the 600...

Now something else I had in mind from your descriptions was the Grado line... IMG_7360.JPG They are hit or miss by people. I want to throw that out there. something that is known for Grado headphones is that they are killer for rock music. Due to their sound being more immediate, and forced out for lack of a better word. It's very energetic and snappy sounding. Guitar string strums are sharp when they need to be sharp (sharp isn't always a bad thing by the way gang) and more life like. They make me want to rock out because of their sound signature.

They are also very easy to drive off of just a phone, which is very important for people to know. you can run any can off of a phone but not all cans can be driven to their full potential off that. It takes power (and a ton of other things) to make a driver in a headphone push forward and back. Some drivers are more difficult to do that, so some times the phone can't bring them to their full potential. Most entry level Grados "Grado sr60, sr80, sr125" can be driven effectively off of a smartphone.

Downsides to Grado line- They have not updated their design in regards to comfort. For me they are not as comfortable as other headphones, but that doesn't mean that I can't wear them for extended periods of time. I have them on my head right now actually ha. It's worth mentioning. I Think the sound is worth the trade off though.

"I am also a musician and like to record so headphones that both sound good with music and are decent as monitors would be a plus"- Now this is a tricky and subjective subject ha. I believe the best thing you could do for recording purposes would find a "reference" headphone. If you typed that into the search bar you could find topics for that. NOW wether you enjoy reference sound, or whatever was recorded is what they give you, is another story. I personally am hit or miss on a headphone that tries its best to be dead neutral. So I don't want to speak for you in that regard. I can find it boring and almost stale sounding. Now, take a reference headphone and give it a certain amp, and It can be fantastic.. So in regards to recording It might be best to have a cheaper reference can, and then have another can for enjoyment. I think the 600 might be too warm for what you are doing, but I can always be wrong. It may be able to fit both roles for you.

Another headphone I would consider in your price range, can be driven by a phone and is very fun is the Meze 99 Classics. IMG_7368.JPG They are portable (don't know if that would be important or not) look beautiful in my opinion and would sound great for a mix of genres.... They come in the Maple (pictured) or walnut....

Ok I gotta run! This was off the top of my head and hope I didn't ramble too much... Feel free to check our website out if you want and also feel free to private message me if you have any more questions. This goes for everyone out there as well!

As we say here "Thank you for listening to the music" ha

-Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6,057 of 15,451
Hello,

I am getting pretty familiar with the headphone/audio world. I currently have Philips X2, Meze 99 Classic, 1More Triples, Hifiman Re-0, and my first purchase M50x. I am looking to get some more interesting gear perhaps some planars or bio-cellulose drivers. I am extremely interested in the E-MU teak series right now and will look to purchase that asap.

As a software engineer I have a ton of time where I'm in front of a computer listening to music and I enjoy exploring different pairs of headphones.

-Nick

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #6,058 of 15,451
Hey everyone,

Just seriously got into headphones. Recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD598 sr and a pair of Status Audio CB-1. Before that I had been using my Sony MDR XB500s for about 7 years. But I got a LGV20 and wanted to take advantage of what it is capable of. I have a small headphone amp which I use mainly with the Status and Sony pairs. 95% of the music I listen to is Grateful Dead soundboards so I really like the open back design of the 598's, it amazes me that I can place them on the stage. If you have any recommendations of other open back headphones to check out i am all ears!

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #6,059 of 15,451
Hey everyone,

Just seriously got into headphones. Recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD598 sr and a pair of Status Audio CB-1. Before that I had been using my Sony MDR XB500s for about 7 years. But I got a LGV20 and wanted to take advantage of what it is capable of. I have a small headphone amp which I use mainly with the Status and Sony pairs. 95% of the music I listen to is Grateful Dead soundboards so I really like the open back design of the 598's, it amazes me that I can place them on the stage. If you have any recommendations of other open back headphones to check out i am all ears!
Welcome, @Nickapalooza86!! You might look into an HD650 and see what you think. It might work for you as well.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #6,060 of 15,451
Hihi~ New head-fi member from Taiwan. Actually, I read head-fi articles for couple of years. Lately, becoming blogger (mostly earphone and coffee and food).... So I think maybe I can share my review to all later. Of course, need to improve my English first.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back