New Member Introductions thread
Jan 1, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #7,066 of 15,538
I am the newest newbee here! Reason I registered is because I need a DAP for sports and public transportation. I have owned simple mp3-players in the past but never a DAP. I need guidance in buying/selecting a DAP on a tight budget. Maybe the audiophile in me will grow from this point forward!

Jan 1, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #7,067 of 15,538
I am also new here but have been reading since last week as my Samsung galaxy s music player died a few days before christmas, while I new I needed to spend a few hundred it looks like i have to spend a bit more which is ok but I need to make the correct choice. I used my player in the car using the aux-in, I could listen using my hi-fi which is over 20 years old using the earphone jack, an as it had speakers the player was often on in the background.

Jan 2, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #7,069 of 15,538
Hey.

Just recently joined Head-Fi and I enjoy reading the threads here. I'm new to this audio scene and so far I have collected quite a few items on my journey.

[Earphones]
VE Monk+
-HEEP(SE)
-HEEP(SE)(Recabled)
-Clear Black (SE)(recabled)
-SPC (SE)
-Espresso (SE)
EMX500
-Brown Cable (SE)
-‎White Cable (SE)
TY Hi-Z 150S (SE)
FAAEAL Narcissus 2.0 (SE)
Seahf F32T (SE)
Auglamour RX-1 (SE)

[IEM]
Auglamour R8 (SE)

[DAP/DAC/AMP]
iFi nano iDSD BL
iFi nano iCAN
Walnut V2
Cayin N5ii

Jan 2, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #7,070 of 15,538
Hi,

I have been lurking around for a long time. Read many reviews, forums before obtaining HD800S, Magni3, ifi micro iDSD BL and IE80. Happy with them. This is becoming addictive :beyersmile:

Here to learn. Head-Fi is a great receptacle of knowledge!

Cheers!

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #7,072 of 15,538
A cheap DAP? You might consider the SanDisk ClipJam to hold you over for a bit while you are researching more expensive HiRes units (like maybe a Shanling M1 or a Cowan Plenue D). ClipJam isn't HiRes and doesn't play all the formats, but does the job as an mp3 player for on the go noisy environments like commuting on transit or working out in the gym. I just bought three of them to give as Christmas presents along with 1More triple driver IEMs. I couldn't just give the IEMs without a player to go with it, and for the price, a set of 1More triple IEMS and a ClipJam is a nice little gift package. They can upgrade to better DAPs later and still use the ClipJam. I am still amazed that we can buy a triple driver IEM for around $100. In the early days of Shure and Westone, you'd have to shell out over $350 for triple drivers.
The 1More Triple driver and Quad driver are very good "bang for the buck" IEM's! I think you were very generous with your gifts and gave people a great portable rig.:beerchug:
Hi, new member here. I'm waiting for my HE4xx, 2 weeks have passed since they came in Italy, the Italian post offices still keep them ...
The post office clerk is probably listening to them as we speak, rocking out!! In all seriousness though I hope you got them by now.
Few month lurker stepping out of the shadows.....few months ago my i-pod finally died .To my astonishment there is more players than just i-pods now . The journey has began ! Now to find the ultimate in hi-fi bliss !
It's amazing when you step back and see how deep an industry is. There is a ton of DAPs on the market, let alone the price range is really vast. If your main purpose is sound quality then I would whole heartedly get a dedicated DAP. Just browse and think about what your "make or break" features you want. Do you own a lot of digital music? How important is it for you to be able to stream music? Questions like that... Good luck with you r search! Also, even though Sony seems like another brand that is in big box stores, their DAPs are quite impressive... Not to mention they have a lot of great quality from $200 up to what, $2k? Good luck!
I have been looking around here for years but never posted or registered until today. I used to be into car audio as a punk kid but as I have grown older I came to realize that a car is probably the WORST possible place to try and produce any quality audio. I since have been getting into the in-ear stuff. I have a pair of ATHM30 at my computer desk and was looking to possible amplify them. I use earbuds when I am running loud equipment and was hoping I could use the same amp (portable) in my pocket to give my earbuds more umpf. I cut my SoundMagic e10 with a chainsaw so I am in the market for something new there. I am by no means rich and do not intend to spend a lot on any of this. I would prefer to save by buying used, for the same reason I like to buy into build quality over flawless sound in order to mitigate replacement costs.

I was hoping to get a $100ish portable amp used in the $75-$90 range. ToppingNX5 caught my eye due to its curves (or lack thereof) Fiio A5 seems to have a ton of fans. Here are my top 3 factors when looking for a product. (#4 is a given but I wanted to be specific)

1. Price - Cannot be over $100
2. Quality - I want this thing to last, possible from some environmental abuse
3. Battery Life - I go far into the forest and do not return for days. It would be nice to know I can jam on my way out too.
4. I want to be able to appropriately drive those ATHM30 cans and I am in the market for a replacement for what I lost in the SoundMagic e10. These will be paired up with my smartphone until I get a standalone player.

Thanks for being here and putting in all the time and research you all have.
Don't you hate that moment when you are working out in the yard and rocking out to tunes and then next thing you know you slice your amp in half with a chainsaw? Happened to me last week as well, I feel your pain. Someone took a video of me rocking out with my chainsaw-
https://media.giphy.com/media/14d74ZcrMxrQSA/giphy.gif

Ok all joking aside I hope that you find what you are looking for. If we had anything at the store (Music To My Ear) I would give you a suggestion. I think our starting amp price starts around $250.
Hi,
I've been lurking in the forum a long time ago actually but just registered here after purchasing the HD6XX.
Before this, I've been playing around with some mid and cheap iems. So, buying the HD6XX is a big jump for me.
Currently my mission is to find the perfect Dac/Amp for it.
As I move around and travel a lot I hope I can find dac/amp that is trans-portable.
I hope it will be my first and my end game. Lol.
Your first stop I feel should be looking up the Chord Mojo. It costs a bit more then your headphone but I has the potential to be end game for portability, and you could also use it for a desktop set up as well. Incredibly versatile in that regard. Not to mention its about the size of a pack of cards.
Good Morning,
Just joined the other day. I found my way over from AK. I have been into home audio since a wee lad and since I travel for work a lot and decided to step up my HP game. I look forward to learning.
Like I said above I think The Chord Mojo is a great product that ticks a ton of boxes, especially since you travel a lot. Also depending on budget check out the Meze 99 classic headphone. Very fun sound and good detail. Its killer bang for the buck and small size as well. I think the walnut wood specifically looks gorgeous to boot.
Hello everyone :)
I am very new to this world, and i have just ordered my pair of the Sennheiser HD6XX, i've heard they are a great entry level of the high end.
A lot i can learn here, and can use some advice too.
Have you got an amp or dac yet? You would get a lot more out of the headphone with the amp I feel.
Hi all,

Made an account a short while ago after a longer lurking period so thought I should say hello.

Home setup:
Windows > Foobar2000
Cayin iDAC-6 + Cayin iHA-6 or Woo WA7 + Woo WA7tp
Focal Clear or Audeze LCD-X​

Commuting/work setup:
LG v30 Android phone > UAPP
Dragonfly Red
Audeze SINE​

Current music preoccupations:
Dark, noisy electronic stuff
Soundtracks (particularly anime and game OST's)
Japanese doujin music​

Hmm, what else? I'm currently trying to keep myself from considering the Focal Utopia or the LCD-4. :darthsmile:
You have an excellent set up!! Have you had the opportunity to listen to the Utopia yet? Its basically the Clear but add incredibly fast speed and extra transparency.
Hi
How do you guys store your precious headphones when not in use? Thanks.
1. Headphone stand
2. Dry cabinet
3. Leave around on audio table
4. ...
I do a mix ha. I have a hard case that I always put my best headphone back into when I am done listening. I don't want the headphone to get dinged up or even get dust on them (it would be totally fine to leave out, I just want the added protection). I also bought a super cheap banana hook that I can hang headphones from. That way they are off of my desk and out of range of being knocked off the desk.

It all depends on how well they are built in the first place, and how likely you are too knock it off of where you normally listen!
Hi all, I was sent over here by the people at AudioKarma because I had questions that they said were talked about in better detail over here.
You are in the right place to get an absurd amount of info my friend. Just use the search bar at the top to try and find what you are looking for. Welcome to the site!

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-2_12-11-41.png
    upload_2018-1-2_12-11-41.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #7,074 of 15,538
I'm more of a forum reader than a forum writer but I figure I should engage in the conversation from time to time. It's always fun to read through all these threads!

My current setup:
Work Area
Desktop > Schiit Fulla 2 or Teac AI-301DA > Hifiman HE400i
Media Room
iPad > Schiit Gungnir MB > Bryston BHA-1 > Hifiman Edition Xv2
Audio Technica LP120 > Schiit Mani > Bryston BHA-1 > Beyerdymanics T1v2

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #7,079 of 15,538
Hi all another new newbie.
I won't pretend to be an expert so forgive any newbie mistakes.
I do know what i like and I like my grado sr80's, my think sound on2 and my senn hd700. I love my new p1 pinnacles and campfire lyra2's. My sources are an iPod classic powered thru a fiio amp which I quite like. I have some noble items but they don't do anything for me and same with 1more quads.
In terms of sound I like a good meaty bass but controlled so it doesn't muddy and dominate everything else. I love detail and clarity, hearing emotion in a voice and the really good treble. I like a good wide soundstage too.

I've come here to ask questions about the Opus 1 and t okhen interaction with iTunes etc so I will be doing that shortly hopefully.
Thanks in advance
Nasba

Users who are viewing this thread

Back