New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #7,336 of 8,377
  I still have the UE-10 Pro from 10 years ago and been thinking about an upgrade. I've been lurking through the forums on and off and reading about the JHA 13, 16, Roxanne, and now the upcoming Layla. With the constant adding of additional drivers and new ways of cross feeding or whatever, I'm glad to see the continuing innovation in CIEM. However, I did miss those days when the UE-10 Pro was the king of the customs and thought I paid a ridiculous price for a portable earphone ($1k). Seeing the Layla at $2,499 is just mind blowing.

After thinking over it, I've decided not to upgrade for the time being. Instead, I bought a pair of Fostex TH900 for a little under $1k and a couple bottle of whiskeys and cognacs. I think I've made the right decision lol...

2-3 years ago, $1,000-ish could get you a TOTL (JH13, Miracle, ES5). These days, that's the pricing for CIEMs in the mid-range tier. With new introductions breaking the $2,000 mark, I fear we have yet to see the end of this price race.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #7,338 of 8,377
Yeah I'd say it'll peak at around the 5k mark to fully justify what they're selling. I mean what's stopping anyone from putting 20-30 drivers inside, have some reviewers say it's the greatest gift from God, then rinse and repeat a year or two later. I have to admit, this cycle is pretty interesting to follow. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #7,340 of 8,377
I think for me after 2K I'd rather they just add a smidgen of quality, value, and features every 2-4 years while maintaining the same price point. Like a MacBook Pro.

You can still doll up a MacBook Pro and pay over 5K - so there's that. But the Flagship is still the flagship. The JH13 and 16 are still JH Audio's bread and butter - their prices have stayed static for a few years - and for someone who doesn't have the "flagship bug" these CIEMs sound out of this world - if you haven't heard a Layla - what are you missing? 

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #7,342 of 8,377
Maybe JH can stuff 15 drivers and some LED's in a pair of Universals and call them GLOW-RIA...

I'm really sorry about that 
wink_face.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #7,344 of 8,377
Yeah I'd say it'll peak at around the 5k mark to fully justify what they're selling. I mean what's stopping anyone from putting 20-30 drivers inside, have some reviewers say it's the greatest gift from God, then rinse and repeat a year or two later. I have to admit, this cycle is pretty interesting to follow. 

Lol. Soon customs will have to be enlarged to accommodate all these extra drivers and whatnot.

We'll probably be seeing a 20 driver flagship soon. Magical! Awesome! Who can really tell? Just buy 'em! :wink:

You can still doll up a MacBook Pro and pay over 5K - so there's that. But the Flagship is still the flagship. The JH13 and 16 are still JH Audio's bread and butter - their prices have stayed static for a few years - and for someone who doesn't have the "flagship bug" these CIEMs sound out of this world - if you haven't heard a Layla - what are you missing? 

I can't say I disagree, bro. The JH13 has remained one of the best in the business. Even the Roxanne failed to topple them from the JHA podium. For most, I think they would suffice for many more years to come.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #7,345 of 8,377
  Maybe JH can stuff 15 drivers and some LED's in a pair of Universals and call them GLOW-RIA...

I'm really sorry about that 
wink_face.gif

Haha... I was thinking 'Gloria' was definitely going to be a Siren (If we're talking about the one by Them/Van Morrison which had Jimi Page playing the guitar for, covered by The Doors, Patti Smith, Hendrix, etc)

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #7,346 of 8,377

Haha... I was thinking 'Gloria' was definitely going to be a Siren (If we're talking about the one by Them/Van Morrison which had Jimi Page playing the guitar for, covered by The Doors, Patti Smith, Hendrix, etc)

I was thinking of Laura Branigan :D. She'd be classified as a Siren in my books even though not necessarily rock.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #7,347 of 8,377

Just give them 6 or 8 months.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #7,348 of 8,377
I don't want to get flamed by custom people, but is there some consensus on the best tips for the Universals?  Unfortunately after going two rounds on my UERM's and not having a seal, then having them too tight, I just wanted to keep things simple. The medium silicone tips that came on the universals are not bad for me out of the box... I'm not a big fan of foam.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #7,350 of 8,377
Thanks for the response. Any idea if they're available in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back