New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #7,322 of 8,377

Good post. IEMs are limited. No matter how much they want to tweak the signature. Its still the same amount of drivers tuned differently. No fairy dust or magic materials, just more money for a different tuning. 

That's what I also figured out. Hence I bought the Sennheiser HD800 rather than the K10 to complement my Shure SE846. And I can tune the Sennheiser HD800 to any tonality I want with a high quality EQ since it's a neutral headphone. 

But if my Shure SE846 breaks and is out of warranty, maybe I'll buy a K10 or one of these $2500 IEM.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #7,323 of 8,377
That's what I also figured out. Hence I bought the Sennheiser HD800 rather than the K10 to complement my Shure SE846. And I can tune the Sennheiser HD800 to any tonality I want with a high quality EQ since it's a neutral headphone. 

But if my Shure SE846 breaks and is out of warranty, maybe I'll buy a K10 or one of these $2500 IEM.

The way I figure, LCD-3 / HD 800 for home, something like the MSR7 for closed back options for say monitoring, Westone ES60 / JH Audio / Noble for gym and on the go.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #7,324 of 8,377
The way I figure, LCD-3 / HD 800 for home, MSR7 for closed back option monitoring, Westone ES60 / JH Audio / Noble for gym and on the go.

How about the office? :)

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #7,326 of 8,377
Dec 25, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #7,328 of 8,377
The HD800 are far from being neutral, they lack bass, seriously. I'd say the SE846 with the white nozzles are much more neutral sounding. :cool:

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #7,329 of 8,377
Just want to provide some info. If you look at the data like the FR graph you will know that the HD800 is more neutral. SE846 has a more emphasized bass and faster roll off treble compare to the HD800.  But everyone's ears have differences and it'a all about personal preferences. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #7,330 of 8,377
Try this, record a kick drum or a double bass with a good quality mic and recorder, listen to it back with the HD800 and SE846without EQ and tell me which sounds more like the right thing.

Besides, the FR graph of the HD800 is far from flat, it decays from 100Hz downwards and has a spike at 6kHz, exactly how mine sounds.

Just want to provide some info. If you look at the data like the FR graph you will know that the HD800 is more neutral. SE846 has a more emphasized bass and faster roll off treble compare to the HD800.  But everyone's ears have differences and it'a all about personal preferences. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #7,331 of 8,377
I still have the UE-10 Pro from 10 years ago and been thinking about an upgrade. I've been lurking through the forums on and off and reading about the JHA 13, 16, Roxanne, and now the upcoming Layla. With the constant adding of additional drivers and new ways of cross feeding or whatever, I'm glad to see the continuing innovation in CIEM. However, I did miss those days when the UE-10 Pro was the king of the customs and thought I paid a ridiculous price for a portable earphone ($1k). Seeing the Layla at $2,499 is just mind blowing.

After thinking over it, I've decided not to upgrade for the time being. Instead, I bought a pair of Fostex TH900 for a little under $1k and a couple bottle of whiskeys and cognacs. I think I've made the right decision lol...

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #7,333 of 8,377
I still have the UE-10 Pro from 10 years ago and been thinking about an upgrade. I've been lurking through the forums on and off and reading about the JHA 13, 16, Roxanne, and now the upcoming Layla. With the constant adding of additional drivers and new ways of cross feeding or whatever, I'm glad to see the continuing innovation in CIEM. However, I did miss those days when the UE-10 Pro was the king of the customs and thought I paid a ridiculous price for a portable earphone ($1k). Seeing the Layla at $2,499 is just mind blowing.

After thinking over it, I've decided not to upgrade for the time being. Instead, I bought a pair of Fostex TH900 for a little under $1k and a couple bottle of whiskeys and cognacs. I think I've made the right decision lol...

Good call, even though I already have the JH16 and Roxanne, full size cans just give a better listening experience than an iem (which only wins hands down in portability). Most of the cans I enjoy the most are < 1k and where price is very far from an indicator of better SQ. Take the latest Hifiman models (560 and 400i) they only differ in price and sound signature. But the cheaper 400i sounds better in terms of being an all-rounder and balance headphone.

Roxanne on the other hand with the help of variable bass pot help me find the sound signature that I like the best (neutral/balance). This ruled out the Audeze cans for me and me discovering hifiman's.

Imagine for the price of Layla, I can have 2 of top Hifiman cans (HE-6 and HE-560) and a decent amp. That would be a blast.

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #7,334 of 8,377
Good call, even though I already have the JH16 and Roxanne, full size cans just give a better listening experience than an iem (which only wins hands down in portability). Most of the cans I enjoy the most are < 1k and where price is very far from an indicator of better SQ. Take the latest Hifiman models (560 and 400i) they only differ in price and sound signature. But the cheaper 400i sounds better in terms of being an all-rounder and balance headphone.

Roxanne on the other hand with the help of variable bass pot help me find the sound signature that I like the best (neutral/balance). This ruled out the Audeze cans for me and me discovering hifiman's.

Imagine for the price of Layla, I can have 2 of top Hifiman cans (HE-6 and HE-560) and a decent amp. That would be a blast.

HE-6 and HE-560 would be a bit redundant, but you could always do HE-6 and Schitt Ragnarok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back