New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 29, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2,221 of 8,377
FYI, I asked Jerry about "burn-in" and he agreed that BA drivers do need some use to loosen up. With my JH-13s they started out sounding completely off, with almost no bass to speak of. After some hours of use, the bass appeared as if another driver had been added. This was not my brain adapting to the sound, as I wasn't using them daily. This doesn't, of course, mean that this will be true for every pair of headphones or IEMs.

Anyhow, as for the "dark" impressions, it isn't that I felt they had a rolled-off treble, but more the sense of the music coming out of blackness. I associate this with a lack of ringing or other types of distortion that are so common in headphones that we get used to them as being normal. I did have some discussion with Jerry in which he talked a bit about the issues with treble quality in IEM designs that he had worked to overcome, so I'm guessing it is somewhat related.

I remember my first impressions of them that they had an un-IEM-like sound. My JH-13s still very much sound like IEMs to me. The universal loaners should arrive today or tomorrow though so I'll focus on them for a week and see what I can figure out.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2,222 of 8,377

Thanks for the clarification.

It also seems logical to me that the crossover components may benefit from a bit of 'burn-in', even though they are so tiny, few people think to consider them when discussing the 'yes/no/maybe' of CIEM 'burn-in'.

That aside, I'd appreciate your consideration of my question in the other thread while you are appraising the loaners during the coming week.

Cheers.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2,223 of 8,377
  The Wizard doesn't build his ciems with recessed connectors. He uses flush ones. There was a long discussion from the good old Heir Audio days, he kept his way in the new Noble Audio too. I personally don't have any problem with any of the methods but just to clear out the point: No recessed sockets in Noble ciems.

As a side note: More drivers =/= Better sound.

My mistake- flush connectors.  I don't know.  If the K10's base hits hard enough I may go for them.  I like the idea of customizing my own set.  Either way, it's a leap of faith.

Personally for me, I really like the Roxanne-styled connectors. The other I like is the Fitear/Sennheiser-styled connectors. Both give me that added confidence of a secured connection. Maybe I've just had bad experiences with Westone/UE and their variants.

You're also quite right more drivers <> better sound. In fact at least in my opinion, the real deal with the K10, Rox, Mentors (and other 2-digit BAs) is with the crossover design used.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,224 of 8,377
The Astell & Kern AK240 !  Our next source for our Roxane ? 

In the February 2014 issue of The Absolute Sound there's an ad for the new Astell & Kern AK240.
There's not a lot of info so I'm hoping they'll show it at CES next month and.... that it has a true line-out...

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2,227 of 8,377
  Not good:

connector broke like 3/4s

ACK!!!  Do they still work? Is the connector in the earpiece ok? is it only on the cable? Time to get them on the phone...
mad.gif

Now you got me all worried about mine...just had to take them out and inspect them...
confused_face.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #2,229 of 8,377
Have to admit there have been some hiccups in the process...and the products.

How they respond after they get back will be the next check box to review....
confused_face_2.gif

They did already respond to my email about my case issue...

Did you email them yet?  They should get right on this and get a new cable out to you.  Hopefully the earpiece is ok...

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,234 of 8,377
interesting that the demos seemed to have held up fine despite being toured around.
hopefully this is an isolated incident.
the only way i know would have caused this is probably overtightening.

One more thing on my list: Do not mess with the cable unless putting on a new one 
confused_face.gif

frown.gif

@VisceriousZERO I feel so sorry man. I wish this won't influence your judgements on Roxanne's sonic capabilities. Looking forward to your in-depth review...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back