New IEMS: Shure SE535 or Westone 4R
Jan 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 157
Quote:
W4 is not recessed, there is only a slight mid bass hump and that's pretty much it. I agree the choice btw the Shure 535 and Westone 4 can be a difficult one. I went with the Westone and my friend went with the Shure. If you do go with the Westone, grab some of their new star tips and/or wide bore tips to allow the treble to come through much more clearly

Have you heard the pfe232?  I'm wondering how much the curve differs...

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #34 of 157
Quote:
My .2 cents is SE535 is fun and the W4 is boring. I used the 535s for about 2 years, gave them to my wife, bought W4s and they went back after a few hours.

So what you're saying is that you have a pair of W4s you want to send me for free since you don't like them?  :wink: hahaha

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #35 of 157
Quote:
So what you're saying is that you have a pair of W4s you want to send me for free since you don't like them?  :wink: hahaha

I would but, gosh, got my refund already 
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #37 of 157
Quote:
Nor have I had any sibilance with my PFE232's. With the grey filters, they have a very nice frequency balance, with the mid's brought forward when compared to the green and black filters. Please keep in mind that Audeo says that the filters are not simply frequency-shaping devices, but rather designed to better match the differing HRTF's of different individual ears. It is quite likely that some users will find that none of the 3 filters will adequately match their individual HRTF's.

Who does not own Michael Jackson; Billie Jean and Beat It redefined pop basslines

Neither myself or HiFlight were at all saying you do not hear what you hear. Conversely we do not hear sibilance. I use triple flange and comply with my PFE 232 though after much experimentation. Silicone and Shure Olives have various cons. I also don't see the benefit in listening to any IEM without inserting them properly. If the fit is lacking then it calls for new tips or the nuclear option of new IEM but the PFE 232 have the best fit bar none I have ever experienced in any universal IEM, better even than the Westone UM series

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #38 of 157
Quote:
Who does not own Michael Jackson; Billie Jean and Beat It redefined pop basslines

Neither myself or HiFlight were at all saying you do not hear what you hear. Conversely we do not hear sibilance. I use triple flange and comply with my PFE 232 though after much experimentation. Silicone and Shure Olives have various cons. I also don't see the benefit in listening to any IEM without inserting them properly. If the fit is lacking then it calls for new tips or the nuclear option of new IEM but the PFE 232 have the best fit bar none I have ever experienced in any universal IEM, better even than the Westone UM series

Hahaha.  Billie Jean is required to sound amazing or I will not accept the IEM!!! haha.  I really do think it is an ear anatomy issue.  The pfe232 fit AMAZINGLY well and are the most comfortable thing ever.  They seal and provide decent bass, but they are uber sibilant.  But it is above the typical vocal sibilance and is more prominent with cymbals.  However, if I push them in deeper than the perfect comfortable fit the sibilance pretty much goes away 100% and the bass is a little fuller.  However, I feel like it is not the intended fit, and they aggravate my ears.  I'm assuming it is something with the way my ear canal bends.  Perhaps it bends closer to the outer ear than most?

I talked with the earphone solutions and they're going to let me do an exchange.  They seem like they want me to be happy with the phones, which is cool.  I'll be honest, I'm really digging the sound they have when I jam them in my ear.  I think they're the best headphone I've ever heard. It just comes down to comfort.  What good are they if I can't listen to music long? :-/  I'm still using them to see if maybe the tips will break in more and become softer...

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #40 of 157
Quote:
That sounds like you need longer tips. The design of the PFE 232 prevents the earpiece going further than natural ear entrance anyway, hence you have had to force. Have you tried triple flange? If too deep then cut down to double flange.

I don't have any triple flanges at the moment...  But when I have them in well the housings are tilted at an angle, so I'm thinking (who knows) the triple flange might be easier to get in, but might still cause the housings to be at an odd angle...

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #41 of 157
It probably feels a little less worse than it feels, but here are some photos of when it fits the "normal" way, which for me sounds very sibilant-like and the "better sound" way, which literally makes them sound excellent all around

You can see it looks pretty normal here:

And here you can see (hopefully) how I push the tip in further, which causes the whole phone to turn with the shape of my inner ear curve.

This isn't past the main bend of my ear or anything.  It's just further into the outer ear entryway, but that curves backward causing the rotation.  So with any longer tips, I assume the rotation will still occur, hence the discomfort.  The main discomfort comes from the torque sensation.  When the tip is in good, the housing want to straighten out but my head is in the way! haha  So it sort of torques against that part of my outside ear and also the opposite way against the inner ear on the tip...

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #43 of 157
Quote:
Sure, hence suggestion of deeper tips. Everyone's ears are different. Conversely the tubby shape of the W4 may prevent a fit and need tip adjustment.

The thing that is odd though, is that I haven't had any other fit issues.  As a matter of fact, the identical pfe112 fit perfectly.  I don't think the issue is necessarily the fit itself, but rather that I need to adjust the fit to eliminate the sibilance.  Perhaps they boost that frequency because most people can't hear it?  Or maybe it is just an unfortunate reflection of some sort.  It's just odd that the others fit and sounded fine... :-/  Where would one find a bag of assorted tips for free? haha  But really, what tips would you recommend?  I saw some weird long clear tips somewhere on here that someone recommended in general that sort of curved into your ear.  Have you seen those?

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #44 of 157
Quote:
Well I gave them a listen....

I tried the foam tips that came installed, the silicone triple seals, the large black olives and the large silicone olives. I liked the large silicone olives best because the seal but don't penetrate too deep and sounded best to me. What do you have the best luck with?

I auditioned them using my iMac running decibel through my Grace Design m903 playing some Mapleshade jazz recordings. I A/Bd them with my full sized AKG K702s.

Impressions:

- A taught, precise, detailed sound that portrays a musical and interesting sound stage
- They are more efficient than the AKGs. The amp was set on 65% for the Westones and 80% for AKGs.
- They benefited from the cross-feed circuit

While they are very good, the full sized open designed AKGs sounded much better (airier) and bass resonances seemed more pronounced to my ears. Subtle aspects like legato fingerings or an alto sax exciting the piano strings where more real to me. Perhaps I am not used to IEMs or it's just physics? I also tried a 10 Hz to 200 Hz test tone and found that the Westones got subtly, but perceptibly louder from 70 Hz to 200 Hz where the AKGs did not get louder above 40 Hz.

I am very pleased with them. Perhaps this was not a fair comparison?

:)

Bob

Bob, personaly, MY best luck ever is with the Westone UM56 custom mold.  Also used... Shure Black Olive (M) - Westone New "Star" Silicone tips (M) - Westone New grayfoamy tips (M) [color coded) - White Tri-Flange (mod) - Sony Hybrid (mod)

W4's is tips dependant! Also, his nozzle is shorter than others, then, don't push tips (stem) to far over it, this will give you more in your ear canal. This will throw you plenty of bass impact! 
Enjoy now,  the best in Universalis IEM (before goto Custom)  [Audeo.Phonak.232, w4r, UM2, UM3Xrc, 535ltd, SM3v2, Fisher...) All these IEM in this toptiers category all merite special listening attention! All have there own personal SoundSig. All depend of the personal taste... of your ears, and of course, your brain!!  If you have the penny, get them all. They will be probably a must in your cans collection  :D       Good luck!  

wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back