New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Jun 3, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #2,356 of 2,616
Yes, you are right! But sadly, It says "AS A line out"; And that does not specifically say that it has a dedicated "line-out function/setting". Would be nice if it did though...

Sadly, you are correct. I had just assumed that a dedicated "line-out function/setting" was implied...

So, if I were to run it to my tube amp... 3.5mm to RCA stereo, would I put the dap volume to full and then adjust the volume knob on the amp? Scares me a little to do that. People have been known to blow iems, or their ears, after disconnecting from the amp.

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #2,357 of 2,616
Sadly, you are correct. I had just assumed that a dedicated "line-out function/setting" was implied...

So, if I were to run it to my tube amp... 3.5mm to RCA stereo, would I put the dap volume to full and then adjust the volume knob on the amp? Scares me a little to do that. People have been known to blow iems, or their ears, after disconnecting from the amp.

For now, I think that's what's recommended. But PLEASE be careful with volume.

I did just re-ask the specific line out question on the HiDIZS User Group on Facebook. Will see If I get a reply... ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/hidizs/ )

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2,358 of 2,616

I don’t think you should put the dap to full volume. Just toggle between the two units and find a sweet spot on your tube amp. Just use your ears as your guide. You may want your tube amp to be pushing a little harder anyway. I use my Shanling M3s on a tube amp and run it less than 100% (even though it’s “Line Out” is 100% and not dedicated). I find the synergy better around 90% better.

Jun 3, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2,359 of 2,616
I don’t think you should put the dap to full volume. Just toggle between the two units and find a sweet spot on your tube amp. Just use your ears as your guide. You may want your tube amp to be pushing a little harder anyway. I use my Shanling M3s on a tube amp and run it less than 100% (even though it’s “Line Out” is 100% and not dedicated). I find the synergy better around 90% better.

I am not going to try it on this hot day but, when I do, I will set the amp at a level that I know I usually have it for a certain headphone (when I use other daps that do have line out) and then adjust the Hidizs. That might be the best starting point.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,360 of 2,616

Interesting. I have heard some folks going as low a 75% with their volume when used as "line out". (Of course some people just use the DAP as the volume control when using an external AMP.)

There is a "Max Volume" that can be set under "Audio Settings"... That could be set somewhere 75-90% to be a good match for an external Amp ? And might help some in preventing iem (and ear) damage?

- Just a reminder, (for novices like me), that Low Gain is probably what one should use for line-out...
- If you're using high gain for normal portable listening; then there's another thing to remember to switch off when going to an external AMP....

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,361 of 2,616
Just tried USB out with Pure Music, UAPP, Onkyo HF and Tidal. It doesn't work, period. Full of static noise and distorted sound. It is a shame to claim that new firmware fixed anything with the USB out. In fact it sounds much worse now. No line-out and no USB out after such a long time is very frustrating.

Baked the project on July 20, my AP200 was shipped on November 11. Now we are into June and the player doesn't work as promised and advertised. The AP200 kickstarter page claimed that it will work with external DACs like Mojo and iFi. "AP200 also can be used as a digital transport when connected to an external DAC, such as Chord Mojo, IFI Micro iDSD. The 3.5mm headphone jack of the AP200 can be used either to connect to a set of headphones/IEMs, or as a line out to connect to an external amplifier or powered speakers. No compromises."
Seriously? Come on Hidizs, do something to keep your promise. This photo is from the AP200 Kickstarter page:

I had your same expectations and now I am fully upset, even angry. What a shame!

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,362 of 2,616
Hidizs doesn't monitor this thread and their response on support channel also hard to comprehend sometime. Now they are probably busy with ap80. Which is really a shame that they are not able to fix ap200 bugs. I remember seeing another"flagship" model in their pipeline. If they ever launch that model, you can write off their support on ap200. And i write off hidizs from my list of dap. Shame shame.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #2,367 of 2,616
We have tested this firmware with Mojo, DH1000. The USB DAC works fine. Which AMP are you using?
I have tested it with a Mojo, it has static noise, bad sound quality and disconnects quite often. It sounds much worse than a smartphone connected to Mojo. When I try to play from Tidal app, it won't output any sound. Is there some special USB-out setting to be changed?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #2,368 of 2,616
I have tested it with a Mojo, it has static noise, bad sound quality and disconnects quite often. It sounds much worse than a smartphone connected to Mojo. When I try to play from Tidal app, it won't output any sound. Is there some special USB-out setting to be changed?

Same for me: the Mojo pops and craks with a lot of static noise, making it not suitable with the AP200, as it was with the former firmwares...

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2,369 of 2,616
@Hidizsofficial @Hidizs Hk

I have a big request!

After updating to 0.2.8 in random mode, the tracks no longer switch without pressing a button. Also from the very beginning, for an unknown reason, the Stop / Play physical button stops working in locked mode after 2 minutes.

And if possible, in the next update, turn on the equalizer in PureMusic mode. Because the problem with clipping at high frequencies is solved only by lowering the equalizer frequencies and using android mode is not an option for me

Downgrade back to 0.2.6
Using AP200 with 0.2.8 is impossible for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back