New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Dec 27, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #107 of 583
cannot be the same driver  , sure is based  on tr50p that work semi open (like bass reflex) or closed but on full open the driver to make bass need to be higt qts like openbaffle speakers , if no spring air to dump he must self dump.... 
Btw all driver look the same :wink:

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #108 of 583
Same driver tuned differently? The old school Japanese manufacturers from the old days were notorious with doing such using same driver but tuning it different, CD1000/3000/R10 all use the same 32ohm biocellulose driver but tuned differently, CD750/850/950 all same drivers just slight different dampening, SA3000/5000/010 same vectron membrane driver but different backport dampening.

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #109 of 583
Denon/Fostex D2000/5000/7000/TH600/900.  HD580/600/650  HD800/???

All variants of, not just the same driver. but the same chassis also.

The development of the chassis is no less important than the driver. 

Man, the head-fi market has exploded since I joined - I wonder how the first generation head-fi ers think about all this.  It is 100 percent foretold by me that the market for technologies that isolate us from the real world will continue to expand.

As a lot have predicted in the early days of the LCD2 - a paradigm shift will occur, and we were mocked.  In due time the term "orthodynamic" will disappear in favor of the term "planar-magnetic".  Orthodynamic sounds like a medical thing.

There is real distinctiveness about the ortho sound that really stands out over dynamic and stats.  I think when Lunatique compared his 02 stat and LCD2 - even if you equalise them to the exact same frequency balance - he noted that the LCD2 sound is more "filled in".  This is the smoothness in vocals which does not exist in other tech - for me there is more realism to the human voice.  If one looks at the scope waveform on speech - easy to do - hit scope in the visual effects of your media player, you can easily see the regular transient spikes of the smooth sound of human voice.  I am still of the belief that ortho tech is best able to recreate these transients in human voice.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #110 of 583
popcorn.gif
 watching this thread ...orthos need some alluminium cups.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #111 of 583
Those of who have been around in audio for a long time have heard this all before i'm afraid. Orthos/Planars were popular some decades ago but were outperformed in most respects by both dynamics and stats.
I think the comparison you quote is totally spurious as its impossible without the necessary measuring equipment to "equalise" as you call it.
Most of the orthos/planars are very uncomfortable to wear, heavy on the head and not that reliable due to driver failures.
All headphones are a compromise but I would take an electrostat any day over a planar for their sheer neutrality, speed and transparency. Yes they do require special amplification but then what other headphones last for over four decades and still perform with some of the best the industry has to offer today?

Quote:
  Denon/Fostex D2000/5000/7000/TH600/900.  HD580/600/650  HD800/???

All variants of, not just the same driver. but the same chassis also.

The development of the chassis is no less important than the driver. 

Man, the head-fi market has exploded since I joined - I wonder how the first generation head-fi ers think about all this.  It is 100 percent foretold by me that the market for technologies that isolate us from the real world will continue to expand.

As a lot have predicted in the early days of the LCD2 - a paradigm shift will occur, and we were mocked.  In due time the term "orthodynamic" will disappear in favor of the term "planar-magnetic".  Orthodynamic sounds like a medical thing.

There is real distinctiveness about the ortho sound that really stands out over dynamic and stats.  I think when Lunatique compared his 02 stat and LCD2 - even if you equalise them to the exact same frequency balance - he noted that the LCD2 sound is more "filled in".  This is the smoothness in vocals which does not exist in other tech - for me there is more realism to the human voice.  If one looks at the scope waveform on speech - easy to do - hit scope in the visual effects of your media player, you can easily see the regular transient spikes of the smooth sound of human voice.  I am still of the belief that ortho tech is best able to recreate these transients in human voice.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #112 of 583

You should post that in Summit-Fi, they'll understand your feelings...what are you doing out here in the real world anyway? 
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, you are correct.  It is still early days for this new breed of emerging planar technologies.  Who knows what the future holds if more resources are directed towards developing this new approach.  Considering how much they have accomplished without the backing of the corporate empire,  I am very excited about the future prospect of planar tech.

Aren't you?

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #116 of 583

Any update?

Yes....a June release and pricing to be around the same as the TH-600.

Current TH-600 Pricing which is like $699 or original MSRP which was like $1299 US 

If its closer to Th-600 pricing than I'll be first in line to try them out! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #117 of 583
My guess is the current pricing because at RMAF I was told be the Fostex rep that they were targeting around $600 range.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #118 of 583
Current TH-600 Pricing which is like $699 or original MSRP which was like $1299 US 

Thanks,

:evil:

Fostex expects the price to be around ¥80,000, which would be the same as the Japanese MSRP for the TH-600.

<ポタ研>フォステクスからBAイヤホン/AK240専用バランスリケーブル/デノンやゼンハイザーなど注目機 - Phile-web

Of course, it could end up higher than early estimates, like what happened with the TE-05. *mumbles to self*

Feb 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #119 of 583

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Fostex expects the price to be around ¥80,000, which would be the same as the Japanese MSRP for the TH-600.

<ポタ研>フォステクスからBAイヤホン/AK240専用バランスリケーブル/デノンやゼンハイザーなど注目機 - Phile-web

Of course, it could end up higher than early estimates, like what happened with the TE-05. *mumbles to self*

So that's about $780 US... Hmmmm I think I will still give them a try at that price point but I'm hoping that they move it closer to the $600. I'm hoping for a more comfortable lighter Ortho with strong clean fast bass. I got to listen to the LCD-X and the sound is as close to perfect that I've ever heard. At least in terms to what I'm looking for. Perfect linear bass that was super tight but still capable of going deep. Clean smooth highs and a nice sized sound stage. In all its glory I probably won't shell out the insane price of $1699 because as great as they are they were still to heavy and I'd rather not wake up with a massive headache and sore neck like I did with the LCD 2's so if these can come close to that level of performance than I'm going to be a happy camper! June can't come fast enough 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back