New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Oct 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #76 of 583
  Great point about how the market has changed over the last decade.  What I said still holds in general, but needs to be rethought with regards to the T50RP.   I think the fact that I have become more comfortable with more expensive headphones bothers me and I hate to see the market continue to move upwards. 

Knowing about how market price is being driven, we should avoid buying really expensive rigs. Let's vote with our dollars! We, members of the headfi community should take a step further. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #78 of 583
Interesting that he mentions limited both top and bottom, yet so many people are raving about the alpha dog and not mentioning things like that. You'd expect the ~$2k audeze planars to have an edge over a driver that originated in the 70s. But it seems to do damn fine for most.

I hope they are better than the alphadogs especially in soundstage given that they're open. A similar somewhat neutral focussed signature would be nice to differenciate them from the TH line a bit.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #80 of 583
Interesting that he mentions limited both top and bottom, yet so many people are raving about the alpha dog and not mentioning things like that. You'd expect the ~$2k audeze planars to have an edge over a driver that originated in the 70s. But it seems to do damn fine for most.

The Audeze drivers originated in the '70s.

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #81 of 583
The Audeze drivers originated in the '70s.

The tech did but not their designs, and exact driver right? I am assuming that's what mike means by modern planars - along with hifiman, abyss, now oppo

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #82 of 583
edit nvm

Oct 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #83 of 583
  So after reading the article, is Mike officially confirming for us that these are indeed using the same drivers as are in the T50RP? If that's the case, I will be watching these for a price very closely. Especially now that current guesses for the Oppo's price are well over my budget range.

That was I was told at the RMAF same drivers it may be tweeted like damping since the T50RP is quite sensitivity to that.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #85 of 583
From Innerfidelity website:

Fostex RP50 Prototype...and TE05!
'' In my mind, this may be one of the most interesting stories of the show. You see, the RP50 prototype uses the same planar-magnetic driver found in the Fostex T50RP headphone that headphone DIYers love to modify. It is a really competent driver when placed in a well-designed enclosure, and I think Fostex has something very special in this driver alone. The show was too loud and commenting on prototypes under the circumstances would be silly, but I know these drivers can sound very good. I hope Fostex finds ways to use use them in a lot of products...even products made by others. Mr.Speakers uses them in his Alpha Dogs, which really are a spectacular headphone. The point is: The story of what Fostex does with its killer planar-magnetic driver might be very, very interesting...in lots of ways...''

By Tyll Hertsens • Posted: Oct 27, 2013

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2013-wrap

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #86 of 583
We have confirmation about the driver from multiple sources. So do you think they'd need to be modded and how hard would that be?

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #87 of 583
From Innerfidelity website:

Fostex RP50 Prototype...and TE05!
'' In my mind, this may be one of the most interesting stories of the show. You see, the RP50 prototype uses the same planar-magnetic driver found in the Fostex T50RP headphone that headphone DIYers love to modify. It is a really competent driver when placed in a well-designed enclosure, and I think Fostex has something very special in this driver alone. The show was too loud and commenting on prototypes under the circumstances would be silly, but I know these drivers can sound very good. I hope Fostex finds ways to use use them in a lot of products...even products made by others. Mr.Speakers uses them in his Alpha Dogs, which really are a spectacular headphone. The point is: The story of what Fostex does with its killer planar-magnetic driver might be very, very interesting...in lots of ways...''

[COLOR=888888]By [/COLOR][COLOR=A7896D]Tyll Hertsens [/COLOR][COLOR=888888]• Posted: Oct 27, 2013[/COLOR]

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2013-wrap

Cool, good to finally know!! Now all we need is the price range. $399 and they could have a world beater on their hands here. Have there been impressions on size and weight yet? I'm hoping they mix with HE-400 market and not Alpha Dog or even LCD 2 market. I think it's about time for an affordable product with hi-fi capabilities

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #89 of 583
I hope it uses the headband and pads of the TH600/900 as the prototype appears to.  After owning the LCD2's, I'm getting to the point where comfort is one of the top parameters of my next headphones.

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #90 of 583
  I hope it uses the headband and pads of the TH600/900 as the prototype appears to.  After owning the LCD2's, I'm getting to the point where comfort is one of the top parameters of my next headphones.

That's exactly why I sold my LCD's that were favorites of mine and practically new but I just couldn't live with the comfort anymore. Very sad to see them go but the TH600's I got in their place is a much better fit for me. 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back