New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Oct 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 583

asdafaasda

100+ Head-Fier
MSRP $699.99
Quote:
  Totally missed this thread. Here is the official announcement of the TH500RP.

http://www.fostex.jp/news/437

Skip to 7:26 for the news.
UPDATES: Oct 11 2013:

Regarding whether they are planar or not:
  RP  should  be Regular Phase which is their way of saying isodynamic.

Additional info:

Quote:
When visiting the Fostex booth, I only asked about the prototype RP headphone. It is open back,  has a slightly modified T50RP driver, uses similar housing and headband to the TH600/900 with different pads (smaller opening for the ear) and a perforated metal open back. The prototype was displayed as a physical sample: While I was offered a listen they said it would not be anywhere near production voicing. Release planned for Q2/2014.

Quote:
New semi-open prototype here at CanJam
900x900px-LL-9d665148_image.jpeg

900x900px-LL-946f1dd9_image.jpeg

900x900px-LL-e8d5fe9c_image.jpeg

UPDATE Oct 27 2013: 

Confirmed on multiple sources that the "RP50" will share the same drivers as the T50RP?

From Innerfidelity website:

Fostex RP50 Prototype...and TE05!
'' In my mind, this may be one of the most interesting stories of the show. You see, the RP50 prototype uses the same planar-magnetic driver found in the Fostex T50RP headphone that headphone DIYers love to modify. It is a really competent driver when placed in a well-designed enclosure, and I think Fostex has something very special in this driver alone. The show was too loud and commenting on prototypes under the circumstances would be silly, but I know these drivers can sound very good. I hope Fostex finds ways to use use them in a lot of products...even products made by others. Mr.Speakers uses them in his Alpha Dogs, which really are a spectacular headphone. The point is: The story of what Fostex does with its killer planar-magnetic driver might be very, very interesting...in lots of ways...''

By Tyll Hertsens • Posted: Oct 27, 2013

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2013-wrap

UPDATE Dec 21st 2013:
The RP prototype has had an update since the Fujiya event in October.

Fostex has changed the dampening and demoing it in the e-earphone festival today & tomorrow.

I like the treble presentation more in this latest revision. The highs are more smoothed out.

UPDATE Apr 1st 2014:
Quote:
  Totally missed this thread. Here is the official announcement of the TH500RP.

http://www.fostex.jp/news/437

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 583
Thanks, aswdafaasda. That's really exciting news!

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 583
Going to be interesting for sure.  Nope I don't think Mo was being sarcastic :)

I consider this a good thing, don't want to end up like the AKG 812 thread. Everyone there seems to be psychic, since they already seem to know what it sounds like and it's not even released yet.

Thanks for the video linkup.

~N

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 583
With the T50RP, lots of people wondered why Fostex created such a great driver and put it into such a lousy enclosure, thus  spawning a cottage industry of commercial mod'ers. So I figured that when Fostex said they're launching a new ortho, there'd be tons of chatter. I'm surprised at the silence too.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 583
With the T50RP, lots of people wondered why Fostex created such a great driver and put it into such a lousy enclosure, thus  spawning a cottage industry of commercial mod'ers. So I figured that when Fostex said they're launching a new ortho, there'd be tons of chatter. I'm surprised at the silence too.

It's silent for good reason. We're talking about the release of an unknown prototype. Any talk would be speculation which leads to hype and fanboy-ism. Let's be a little patient for a few days and go nuts if they release something worth discussing.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 583
I'm interested to see where they're going with the new model. I love my Mad Dogs, but they're going to be evolving into Alphas once I get the opportunity. If Fostex releases a new RP model based around the same driver that's in the T50RP and upgrades the housing and headband, I'll buy that right away to compare the two. I don't really see this happening, but if they make an open model then I'll definitely be all over that. Thankfully RMAF isn't far off so we'll know soon what they're bringing to the table.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 583
It's silent for good reason. We're talking about the release of an unknown prototype. Any talk would be speculation which leads to hype and fanboy-ism. Let's be a little patient for a few days and go nuts if they release something worth discussing.

only need to look in the AKG 812 thread to see that, then there was the Abyss one...
wink_face.gif
  The silence is beautiful ( so far )

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 583
Hmmmm, I guess they could be planar, the rep didn't indicate, made it sound like they were in the TH family but a lower semi-open model. But planar would make sense with RP

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 583
Open model... Interesting. Supposedly its nowhere near the end of its sonic construction though, so we wont get an idea for its sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back