New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #226 of 1,588
Quote:
Can you share what you were expecting that it didn't provide?

Pretty much what I said previously. I am looking for a "reference" hp for sound design and recording, etc. Ideally I need a flat, detailed, timbrally accurate hp. Sound stage doesn't really matter as I have to use regular monitors for that. The 7100 is detailed enough, but the bass is too much above flat, at least compared to my current bass reference LCD2.2, and there is a slight boxiness, which makes me mistrust it on the timbre area. I like it for general listening; I really like it for some things like rock, metal, pretty much anything electronic.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #229 of 1,588
Hello all,

I'm French ... sorry for the translation.

I am looking better than my HD598 headphones.

I'm interrested by 7100 (I listen to electronic music, piano, ambient).

I asked about the comfort ...

I wear glasses and I'm pretty sensitive at the temples.

I regret that my HD595 pressed my head a little less ...

My question is about clamping and also on the depth of the pads.

I unfortunately one ear which affects the driver on my H598 :/

Thank you for your feedback
wink_face.gif

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #230 of 1,588
Quote:
...I'm interrested by 7100 (I listen to electronic music, piano, ambient).

I asked about the comfort ...

I wear glasses and I'm pretty sensitive at the temples...

mizot, I wear glasses, and have both metal wire frame type and thicker plastic frames, and I find that the AH-D7100 is very comfortable with both.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #231 of 1,588
Quote:

mizot, I wear glasses, and have both metal wire frame type and thicker plastic frames, and I find that the AH-D7100 is very comfortable with both.

+1

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #232 of 1,588
Quote:
Was the clamping force adequate to stay in place for light exercise or are they better suited for stationary listening?

maybe doing something like a treadmill or something else where you are not moving your head around, but anything more vigorous would be a problem. I couldn't even stretch without them falling off.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #233 of 1,588
Quote:
maybe doing something like a treadmill or something else where you are not moving your head around, but anything more vigorous would be a problem. I couldn't even stretch without them falling off.

Thanks.  I'm surprised they are that loose considering they were going for a more seemingly portable appeal.  That may be a dealbreaker for me.  It looks like I will have a portable showdown between the AH-D400 and M-100.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #234 of 1,588
Quote:
I really don't get your negative obsession with STX and Denon. I've been quite happy with ST and D2000, especially with the price/performance ratio. But after reading a few comments like yours I became semi convinced that "proper" amp will make my D2000's sing. Well guess what- it didn't. Tried Asgrad, NFB-12, couple of higher end receivers and integrated amps with decent headphone output. Difference was minimal, if any. So I'll continue powering D2000's with ST(like many others on this forum) and planning to do the same with D600.

Sure thing that some hard to drive higher end heaphones require fancy amps, but to claim that you must get separate amp for $250 headphones which can cost more than the cans is complete nonsense.

No one in their right mind will spend $1K or more on amp to power $1K speakers and there should be no difference in headphones world.

This is the same for me.  I had an STX with my D2Ks but so many people were saying that because of the impedance mismatch it was a bad pairing.  So I went ahead, sold the STX and got a Fiio E10, and was promptly let down--the STX sounded much better with the headphones.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #235 of 1,588
Quote:
Thanks.  I'm surprised they are that loose considering they were going for a more seemingly portable appeal.  That may be a dealbreaker for me.  It looks like I will have a portable showdown between the AH-D400 and M-100.

I was surprised as well for the same reasons. YMMV,  though I have an above average sized head, albeit slightly elongated. They are comfortable though.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #236 of 1,588
Quote:
 This is the same for me.  I had an STX with my D2Ks but so many people were saying that because of the impedance mismatch it was a bad pairing.  So I went ahead, sold the STX and got a Fiio E10, and was promptly let down--the STX sounded much better with the headphones.

Welcome to the wonderland of head-fi. I've tried headphones even with UCA202 (50ohm output) and the differences were vanishingly small if not non-existent.

Given that the original poster seemed to give much weight to opamps, it should already be a sign that the differences we are talking about are so marginally tiny or imagined that 95% of people here in the general forums don't care about it.

(I'm not advocating to buy crap, but still let's use some common sense)

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #238 of 1,588
Quote:

Welcome to the wonderland of head-fi. I've tried headphones even with UCA202 (50ohm output) and the differences were vanishingly small if not non-existent.

Given that the original poster seemed to give much weight to opamps, it should already be a sign that the differences we are talking about are so marginally tiny or imagined that 95% of people here in the general forums don't care about it.

(I'm not advocating to buy crap, but still let's use some common sense)

At the end of the day its your money, but the bass bloat exists, if your paying for the D5000 or D7000 it stands to reason you want something further along the law of diminishing returns, also the STX + D2000 pairing has got a fair amount of clarity, but if you don't notice the bass bloat and lack of tightness, then its fair to say your at your limit for this hobby. The opamps are a bigger difference with other headphones (AKG K242HD) but seriously the impedance mismatch and its affects are real. its your money, I still think the STX is great value, but it does not have synergy with the D2000. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #239 of 1,588
Had a quick test-drive at the local garage...
Surprised at the clamp force of the d7100...not that strong.
It's only barely holding onto my head becos of the suction of the soft comfy pads.
I shook my head a little, the casing wobbled...but the pads didn't.
Quite light, the metal finish reminded me of the hd800.
Futuristic, light n strong I reckon.

Very good clarity...I would say superior to the d7000.
I won't use the word sibilant on this can.
A lot of air in between instruments...a lot of depth.
The bass rumbled on my ears when I cranked up the volume on Fourplay..
The stiffness of the metal holding up well.
I kept noticing the realism of the instruments on a few occasion..the vibration of the drumskin, the fret sound of the guitar..etc.
Vocals are quite upfront surprisingly, since I read a few comments of a V sig.
my impression is that the depth is so deep that the rest of the instruments seem further bacccck that the soundstage takes awhile to get used to.

I believe this can will shine when better matching of gears are found.
maybe a tube amp....:p

Will I fork out the extra $$ to move from a d7k....hmmmmmm
I might not need the extra clarity.
in my own lingo, this is like a T5p with BASS.

Ok ok...dun run out to buy yet. just my 20mins worth of salt on this to share...
U better hear it for yourself

edit: heard off a RSA DARK STAR amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back