New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #211 of 1,588
Quote:
the E11 spec wise is fine for the Dx000 range of denons, and most probably for the new ones too, I cannot find conclusive info on the output impedance of the Headstage Arrow, Apparently the first versions had 10ohms, the newer ones around 1, if its that latter it will be fine spec wise, but not the former. 

Performance wise you will haveto ask someone else.

Thank you.  So, what I am gathering is that you recommend not overpowering them since they are low impedance? 

Regarding the bass of Denon's you have heard, if the most impactful bass you have ever heard is a 10, what number might you assign to the Denons on a 1 to 10 scale?

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #212 of 1,588
Quote:
Thank you.  So, what I am gathering is that you recommend not overpowering them since they are low impedance? 

Regarding the bass of Denon's you have heard, if the most impactful bass you have ever heard is a 10, what number might you assign to the Denons on a 1 to 10 scale?

10 being making my hair vibrate at car subwoofer level, and 0 nonexistant, 5 being flat, i rate the D2000 a 7.5

And no the Denons need current, they work fine with low power but if you really want them to shine, a good clear transparent DAC, a neutral clear amp with high current, then those puppies flex. Also LOW OUTPUT IMPEDANCE!!!! less then 2 ohms, less then 1 ohm is the target. 

Check here : List of Denon amps, and what to look for and why

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #213 of 1,588
Wir3d is right.

A good transparent dac and a suitable amp are pretty much needed before you can see what the headphone you've bought is about. 

It's just that I've intentionally heard midfi/hifi headphones from crap setups and thought to myself, man, what a waste of potential! Note that we're just talking about 'suitable' dac's and 'suitable' amp's which for many headphones in the view of many people don't start at a high price. I've tried the fiio e17 with the denon d2k and d7k and even compared it to a £4k marantz cd player/amp setup. The latter sounds better as do a lot of other amp/dacs BUT with the fiio e17 i'd say you can really see what the d2k and the d7k is all about. I'd call it suitable. And perfectly adequate too. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #214 of 1,588
fyi, I just downloaded the new Denon audio app and think it is fantastic.  I'm not sure how it benefits Denon other than getting their name out there since my current headphones now sound better than I thought they could.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #215 of 1,588
Quote:
This applies to my personal tastes only but :-
I gave the D600 a shot today in a different store. They didn't have the D7100 on display so couldn't do a direct comparison. This is probably not a "new Denon" week for me at all cos I found the demo D600 on display to have a very loose/boomy bass. Maybe all of these demo models put on the stands aren't burnt in yet but if this is what they're displaying, I think the shops or the manufacturers are better off burning them in before boxing them. Yes, on a practical level, that's probably not possible or efficient to meet delivery timelines. But they are definitely not doing any justice by displaying them out of the box (this is if burn in helps at all).
A qualifier why I said "new Denon" is because the store was also having discounts on the older Denon models D2000, D5000, & D7000. I picked up a pair of D2000 to listen to & was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded especially for their price.
I'm sure for someone else the new Denons may be more appreciable to their ears. But sadly, for me, I prefer the older range.

I'm planning on comparing the D7.1K to both the D7K and TH900 later this week. None of these phones will have been properly "burnt-in."

BTW, the D2K is my favorite can @ the $300 price point. Love those Foster drivers.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #216 of 1,588
Quote:

I'm planning on comparing the D7.1K to both the D7K and TH900 later this week. None of these phone will have been properly     "burnt-in."

BTW, the D2K is my favorite can @ the $300 price point. Love those Foster drivers.

I'm very much looking forward to your opinions. Please do share them here.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #217 of 1,588
Quote:
Like I said before, the STX + Denons is blasphemy, its horrible, the bass is so sloppy compared to what it can be, especially with the JRC opamps, with the D2000 there is almost a constant subbass tone throughout everything, the D7000 is not as bad, but its there alright. I can't take that setup seriously. Its not a good benchmark at all. 

And if the D600 sounds worse even more sloppy bass then that, I'm worried, however I suspect the D600 is just as susceptible to impedance mismatches, and possibly more so.

A proper amp would be needed for a proper conclusion.

I really don't get your negative obsession with STX and Denon. I've been quite happy with ST and D2000, especially with the price/performance ratio. But after reading a few comments like yours I became semi convinced that "proper" amp will make my D2000's sing. Well guess what- it didn't. Tried Asgrad, NFB-12, couple of higher end receivers and integrated amps with decent headphone output. Difference was minimal, if any. So I'll continue powering D2000's with ST(like many others on this forum) and planning to do the same with D600.

Sure thing that some hard to drive higher end heaphones require fancy amps, but to claim that you must get separate amp for $250 headphones which can cost more than the cans is complete nonsense.

No one in their right mind will spend $1K or more on amp to power $1K speakers and there should be no difference in headphones world.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #218 of 1,588
Quote:

No one in their right mind will spend $1K or more on amp to power $1K speakers and there should be no difference in headphones world.

I had a $5,000 amp driving $1100 speakers for years, because the synergy was perfect and I couldn't find any speakers that sounded better in my system under $10K for a long time.  Cost doesn't tell you everything.  I have a $1000 headphone amp driving $300 headphones right now, but I picked up the headphone amp as a significantly reduced cost used.  I find very few headphone products worth the money of a comparable speaker set-up so don't drop my money into it like I do the main speaker rig.

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #219 of 1,588
Quote:

I had a $5,000 amp driving $1100 speakers for years

Okay
smile.gif

It's your money after all...

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #220 of 1,588
Back on topic. Wondering when D600&7100 will become more widely available- that should definitely drive prices down. IIRC, electronics expo were frequently selling D5000s($699 msrp vs. D600's $499)  for $400 or less. D600s are brand new of course, but still.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #221 of 1,588
I really hope the prices come down, the d7000 is my favorite headphone I'm dieing to know if the d7100 is any better. But I won't pay $1,100 or whatever their msrp is, not when I bought the d7000 for $650 new I can't justify that price.

Aug 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #222 of 1,588
BTW, I returned my 7100 today. Not a knock, just not what I was looking for overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back