New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #196 of 1,588
Quote:
That is exactly what I am hoping to find out before making my purchase, especially since it is an understatement that the D7100 would be pushing my budget.  If I had the budget for a portable Summit-fi setup, I would buy a Fostex HP-P1 with Fostex TH900 headphones and call it a day.  Unfortunately, I have Rodeo Drive taste and a Target budget.  Since I admittedly listen mostly to compressed files on my Iphone through a FiiO E11 amp, I'm wondering if the difference between the D600 and D7100 is subtle enough that I almost wouldn't notice the difference, or if the cups and dampening actually have that much impact on these headphones.  I just purchased Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2s.  I like them for certain genres (the bass is fantastic), but they are too dark to be my go-to can (see my review under recent reviews if interested).  I have read the old Denons, while having solid bass, fall short regarding bass compared to these but are much brighter.  I'm also torn between the D600 and upcoming M-100 in addition to being extremely curious to audition the D400 when it comes out the end of the month- I have no idea what to expect from those based on Denon's description. 

I doubt you will hear any improvement difference. If I would be you I would get D600 and stick with it at least until you will decide to upgrade ypur gear. Plus I wouldn't use $1200 headphones outside

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #200 of 1,588
Quote:
You are welcome. What you expecting from D400?

Only going based on reading between the lines from Denon web site description plus gut feeling, but I think the bass with the amp off will be comparable to the D600; with the amp on, comparable to my ATH-PRO700MK2.  They will have a V curve and be on the bright side ("slightly elevated" treble along with "brutile" bass is used as a description on Denon's web site).  I don't think the mids will be as detailed as the D600 or D7100 since they are using a different driver that I can only assume is inferior to the Music Maniac driver since the D400 is $100 cheaper than the D600 and has the added cost of all the electronics.

If anyone is bothered by my predictions without actually hearing them, I apologize in advance and will also be happy to provide winning lottery numbers and next week's weather :)

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #201 of 1,588
Quote:
Only going based on reading between the lines from Denon web site description plus gut feeling, but I think the bass with the amp off will be comparable to the D600; with the amp on, comparable to my ATH-PRO700MK2.  They will have a V curve and be on the bright side ("slightly elevated" treble along with "brutile" bass is used as a description on Denon's web site).  I don't think the mids will be as detailed as the D600 or D7100 since they are using a different driver that I can only assume is inferior to the Music Maniac driver since the D400 is $100 cheaper than the D600 and has the added cost of all the electronics.

If anyone is bothered by my predictions without actually hearing them, I apologize in advance and will also be happy to provide winning lottery numbers and next week's weather :)

I'm not sure if it was clear from my previous post bass while being tight deep and punchy sounds elevated when driven by Xonar STX headphones amp but i just discovered that can get E17 locally so i will by one tomorrow and see how it turns out, I also interested in Audioegine D1. D600 have great highs. I understand they cost more but do you need extras of D400?

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #203 of 1,588
Quote:
It would be HILARIOUS if the D400's end up being more balanced than the D600's and D7100's.

It would be very hilarious but in this crazy head-fi world it wouldn't surprise me.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #204 of 1,588
Quote:
I'm not sure if it was clear from my previous post bass while being tight deep and punchy sounds elevated when driven by Xonar STX headphones amp but i just discovered that can get E17 locally so i will by one tomorrow and see how it turns out, I also interested in Audioegine D1. D600 have great highs. I understand they cost more but do you need extras of D400?

I really don't need the extras of the D400 and would actually prefer not to have to worry about charging my headphones when there is already an Iphone and amp to deal with.  I suppose I just need to hear the D600 to confirm the bass is at an enjoyable level for me.  Not that I have been to a club in years, but listening to my PRO700MK2s, the bass makes me feel like I am in a club and it would be great if one of the Denons could provide that experience along with audiophile-grade midrange detail and extended, but accurate highs like I have heard in the Ultrasone Pro and PSB M4U2. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #206 of 1,588
Quote:
It would be very hilarious but in this crazy head-fi world it wouldn't surprise me.

Some companies actually voice their "lowest end" products to be the most balanced, while the higher models are more colored.

The DX700 versus the DX1000, FAD's IEMs, customs companies like Heir and Unique Melody, etc...

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #207 of 1,588
Quote:

Like I said before, the STX + Denons is blasphemy, its horrible, the bass is so sloppy compared to what it can be, especially with the JRC opamps, with the D2000 there is almost a constant subbass tone throughout everything, the D7000 is not as bad, but its there alright. I can't take that setup seriously. Its not a good benchmark at all. 

And if the D600 sounds worse even more sloppy bass then that, I'm worried, however I suspect the D600 is just as susceptible to impedance mismatches, and possibly more so.

A proper amp would be needed for a proper conclusion.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #209 of 1,588
Quote:
I have also been researching portable amps to go with new headphones.  Would the Headstage Arrow 12HE be a worthy upgrade from a FiiO E11 and likely pair well with the D600?

the E11 spec wise is fine for the Dx000 range of denons, and most probably for the new ones too, I cannot find conclusive info on the output impedance of the Headstage Arrow, Apparently the first versions had 10ohms, the newer ones around 1, if its that latter it will be fine spec wise, but not the former. 

Performance wise you will haveto ask someone else.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #210 of 1,588
This applies to my personal tastes only but :-

I gave the D600 a shot today in a different store. They didn't have the D7100 on display so couldn't do a direct comparison. This is probably not a "new Denon" week for me at all cos I found the demo D600 on display to have a very loose/boomy bass. Maybe all of these demo models put on the stands aren't burnt in yet but if this is what they're displaying, I think the shops or the manufacturers are better off burning them in before boxing them. Yes, on a practical level, that's probably not possible or efficient to meet delivery timelines. But they are definitely not doing any justice by displaying them out of the box (this is if burn in helps at all).

A qualifier why I said "new Denon" is because the store was also having discounts on the older Denon models D2000, D5000, & D7000. I picked up a pair of D2000 to listen to & was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded especially for their price.

I'm sure for someone else the new Denons may be more appreciable to their ears. But sadly, for me, I prefer the older range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back