New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #961 of 1,588
Yah, some things feel off about that blog.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #963 of 1,588
wow, reading the thread has me incredibly confused about the D600. Seems there is no consensus whether these are good or not. Most people who listened to them seem to kinda like them, but after the measurements came in others there seems to be quite a shift on what people thought about them. Anyway, I am looking for closed headphones with good isolation. My HE-400 is my current main headphone but I play lots of poker and need something to use while on the table, so open headphones dont really work well there. Had been using the HFI 580 till now, was wondering if the D600 will be a suitable replacement or should I just get a Pro 900. Will be listening to some 320kbps files my android smartphone via a Fiio E11. Are there any other options that are worth looking at?

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #964 of 1,588
Hello Hawk.

The D600 are respectable headphones in my opinion. To MY ears they provide good bass slam, good bass reproduction, good mids and a bit "wonky" highs. They also isolate good enough and prevent leakage when wearing them. They are also fairly comfortable too. I still think they are a bit inconsistent though (I think I've mentioned this quite a few times!) and it's definitely due to the highs. Also, they don't provide the sub-bass of the headphones they are trying to replace, the D5000.

Other headphones to look into that also produce respectable sound, isolation, comfort and no leakage (at a better price):

Shure SRH840 --> less than $150
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs --> $300 if you select all options (i.e. new pads, leather headband, etc.) or less

If your budget allows to go a bit higher:

Ultrasone Signature Pro --> less than $850 if you call in certain dealers.

If you find the D600s on sale and you want to try them (and let your ears be the judge), I guess they're alright. I wouldn't buy them at $500 though... or maybe you can wait for the "new" players in the same price range:

Sennheiser Momentum
V-MODA M100
Sony MDR-1R

Good Luck!

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #965 of 1,588
Quote:
wow, reading the thread has me incredibly confused about the D600. Seems there is no consensus whether these are good or not. Most people who listened to them seem to kinda like them, but after the measurements came in others there seems to be quite a shift on what people thought about them. Anyway, I am looking for closed headphones with good isolation. My HE-400 is my current main headphone but I play lots of poker and need something to use while on the table, so open headphones dont really work well there. Had been using the HFI 580 till now, was wondering if the D600 will be a suitable replacement or should I just get a Pro 900. Will be listening to some 320kbps files my android smartphone via a Fiio E11. Are there any other options that are worth looking at?

If your budget is just $300 and you can wait a couple of weeks you should definitely try Mad Dogs with new Dog Pads but if you need something right now and your budget allows you should definitely try D600

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #966 of 1,588
Quote:
Hello Hawk.

The D600 are respectable headphones in my opinion. To MY ears they provide good bass slam, good bass reproduction, good mids and a bit "wonky" highs. They also isolate good enough and prevent leakage when wearing them. They are also fairly comfortable too. I still think they are a bit inconsistent though (I think I've mentioned this quite a few times!) and it's definitely due to the highs. Also, they don't provide the sub-bass of the headphones they are trying to replace, the D5000.

Other headphones to look into that also produce respectable sound, isolation, comfort and no leakage (at a better price):

Shure SRH840 --> less than $150
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs --> $300 if you select all options (i.e. new pads, leather headband, etc.) or less

If your budget allows to go a bit higher:

Ultrasone Signature Pro --> less than $850 if you call in certain dealers.

If you find the D600s on sale and you want to try them (and let your ears be the judge), I guess they're alright. I wouldn't buy them at $500 though... or maybe you can wait for the "new" players in the same price range:

Sennheiser Momentum
V-MODA M100
Sony MDR-1R

Good Luck!

Fairly comfortable? They are the most comfortable pair of closed headphones I've ever worn. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #970 of 1,588
Anyone here own both D600 and HE-400? How different they are?  Sound quality wise, not isolation of course.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #973 of 1,588
Anyone here own both D600 and HE-400? How different they are?  Sound quality wise, not isolation of course.

X2 I'd be very interested in this comparison

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #974 of 1,588
I got my D600s today. Have the HE 400 too, will post impressions and a small comparison soon. The first thing I noticed was the build quality, not what I'd expect from a 500$ can. It has a very Bose esque feel to it. (Flimsy, and very plasticky). The fit is comfortable and it fits my ears snugly(again I am reminded of the Bose QC 15, the build and comfort just has a very Bose esque feel to it), they're very light so you'll barely feel them on your head, but the pads do make your ears hot(especially here in Atlanta) so you cant keep them on for long, ears will get very hot and sweaty. Even though the box says it is meant for use with iPod/iPhone, the volume out of an iPhone without an amp isn't really satisfactory, have to keep it at max volume, even then it can seem lacking at times. A small amp is kinda necessary(using an E11, works great), atleast for me.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #975 of 1,588
Looking forward to your findings Hawk :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back