New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #946 of 1,588
Quote:
Then my top suggestions would be PSB M4U2 (available now); V-Moda M-100 (available October); PSB M4U1 (available before the end of the year) an unamped version of the M4U2; possibly the Sennheiser Momentum (available mid-September) which has been described by Sennheiser as having a bass focus with good overall sound and Sony MDR-1 (before the end of the year) don't know about their sound, but it will be their new flagship can.

I don't trust sennheiser when It comes to basshead cans.

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #947 of 1,588
According to the chart, the D600 is down approx -4 dB from flat at 10kHz... Not what I would consider a peak.

But let me also remind you that the higher frequencies are very difficult to measure consistently because they are affected by placement on the head much more than lower frequencies. This is why, as a rule of thumb, when looking at FR charts, one should ignore the extremely spurious measurements above about 2kHz and simply draw a line through the "average" of all those jaggies for a more accurate picture of the response.

Something like this...

Either way, the fact remains that you are not hearing what the FR curve is depicting.

So, you're essentially suggesting here any and all resonances (which start to show up from 2kHz or so usually), should be ignored because you believe half the prblem reside with the measuring apparatus? I suggest you head over to inner fidelity to see how they adress this. While I do agree with you to some extent in regards to sensitivity of the response to placement at HF, you'll find that driver resonances remain consistent when moving headphone around (or repeating measurement after reseating), and cutting a line right through as you suggest would make the data pretty close to useless.

Along the same lines, some manufacturers smooth their curves so severely that the resonances appear damped down, which leads to the same usuless graph imo.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #948 of 1,588
Quote:
 If I haven't completely lost my mind, I think I indeed spent a pretty penny on the D600; in fact, I sort of recall listening to the d600 every day and night for well over a week now (perhaps my previous posts failed to make this clear). I think I stated as much in my very last post even. Let me quote myself: "If the d600 sounded anything like beats pro, I would have returned them to Amazon without delay." Anyway, all I wanted to do was stress my surprise concerning this little fact: the D7100 has a frequency response very similar to the Beats Pro. That's not speculation, and I think there's nothing wrong with extrapolating on such facts--unless, of course, you can somehow convince me that graphs are completely worthless. I doubt that's possible though. Also, having bought the D600, indeed having spent 500 greenbacks on them, I think I've earned the right to pose a few questions. Who knows, I might be considering an upgrade soon, and I might just be considering the merits of the D7100 before giving away my hard earned money.  I don't mean to be cross about this (I'm sorry if this all sounds defensive), but let me make this crystal clear--for the record: I own the D600, and I think they a very good headphones, with a few notable flaws. 

Sorry, I guess I was directing that to non-owners who poo-poo this headphone based on a graph or 5 minute listening in a store.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #949 of 1,588
No, I'm not saying they should be ignored. I'm saying they are difficult to accurately measure, and the ear tends to act as a filter of the extreme variances. The test-to-test variances as described by the Inner Fidelity article are simply part of the problem.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/expert-tests-innerfidelitys-headphone-measurement-repeatability-and-reproducibility

I experienced this myself when my friend and I measured our own headphones. The placement on the surface, the position of the microphone, and the pressure against the surface all contributed to variations in measured response.

Yes, driver resonances remain constant, but once they leave the confines of the headphones and enter free air, they are subject to change (reflection off the outside of the ear, skull, ear canal, propogation loss, etc.). My illustration above is simply "a rule of thumb" to get an idea of the average for the higher frequencies.

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #950 of 1,588
No worries, friend. I'm beginning to see that posting here on head-fi can be fraught with many minor perils, chief among them, miscommunication. But at least miscommunication will never hurt my pocket book. I should ban myself from this site, right now, because the more time I spend here, the more I begin to covet other people's headphones and headphone rigs.     

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I was directing that to non-owners who poo-poo this headphone based on a graph or 5 minute listening in a store.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #955 of 1,588
I don't think the 7100s are worth the price. At $1000, that's top tier level. That's HD800, D7000 money and there's not much return beyond that price point. Of course, I've never heard the 7100s but if I had the money, based on what I've heard so far about them, I wouldn't get them.

I'm really looking into the D600s though, those are really looking good for my needs.
Anyone know of any deals on them?

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #956 of 1,588
Not sure who this person is, but they gave a nice review of the d600s and mention the d7100 in a positive light as well.

http://yklee118.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/the-denon-ah-d600-worthy-replacement-of.html

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #957 of 1,588
What about the thick pads, any1 tested different pads on these headphones? My experience with pads is that usually the closer the ear is to the driver the more forward midrange and the further away from it the more V-shaped.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #959 of 1,588
Quote:
Not sure who this person is, but they gave a nice review of the d600s and mention the d7100 in a positive light as well.
http://yklee118.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/the-denon-ah-d600-worthy-replacement-of.html

......redefine the closed dynamic headphone with the same prowess as when Ultrasone redefine the Reference Audiophile Standard by introducing the 
Edition
 line of headphones......

With this, I am sorry to say that the review is hardly trustful.

Well, sounded too harsh, but in any angles I see, the whole review is really an advertisement.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #960 of 1,588
That blogspot has been mentioned a few times now on this thread and with each mention it's been fobbed off. Rightly so. I mean there's one review there entitled:

I've heard both headphones properly, so I'll let you into a big secret.
No.
Denon's d2k isn't the hd800 killer.

The reviews are well written and easy to read (unlike 6moons). Quite in depth too so there must be something useful you can pick out (unlike headphoneinfo.com who write reviews without hearing the headphones and their measurments of isolation/leakage properties suck). What I'm saying is there are plenty of ways this blogger can do worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back