New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #931 of 1,588
Quote:
Speaking of headphone graphs: Headroom has finally posted the graphs for the D600 and the D7100, and wow, the d600's response is considerably more flat than the D7100's. In fact, the D7100's frequency response is downright ugly! Also the graph for the D600 mirrors pretty much how I hear the D600: lots and lots of big bass, both sub-bass and mid-bass; decent mid-ranges (they don't sound shallow to me); and slightly rolled off or shelved highs, which resembles the D2000's treble response. 

(edit: i didn't read the last page before posting this. Sorry for the redundency folks.)

I agree! D600 looks much flatter frequency response wise. Distorsion is measured slightly less on the D7100 though. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #933 of 1,588
Say it ain't so! Until I laid eyes on the graph posted above, I really thought that the claims ridiculing  Denon for imitating Beats was at best hyperbolic. But the evidence seems to be mounting. On the other hand, I've listened to Beats and those headphones epitomize mediocrity in every way, and while the reviews concerning the D600 and D7100 are very mixed so far, I'm inclined to say (prematurely perhaps) that they are at worst good mid-fi headphones.  Of course, we're a long way from establish a consensus on this point, but really, if the D600 sounded anything like Beats pro or any other Beats headphone, I would have shipped them back to Amazon without delay. I can only pray that any graph similarities between the D7100 and Beats Pro are coincidental and meaningless. I really can't imagine the D7100s were voiced to sound anything like Beats! Someone talk me off this ledge!

Quote:

The D7100 looks pretty miserable. The D600 at least looks ok. 

I did a little more investigating on the Denons. I believe I'm on to something here! 

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #936 of 1,588
Quote:
Say it ain't so! Until I laid eyes on the graph posted above, I really thought that the claims ridiculing  Denon for imitating Beats was at best hyperbolic. But the evidence seems to be mounting. On the other hand, I've listened to Beats and those headphones epitomize mediocrity in every way, and while the reviews concerning the D600 and D7100 are very mixed so far, I'm inclined to say (prematurely perhaps) that they are at worst good mid-fi headphones.  Of course, we're a long way from establish a consensus on this point, but really, if the D600 sounded anything like Beats pro or any other Beats headphone, I would have shipped them back to Amazon without delay. I can only pray that any graph similarities between the D7100 and Beats Pro are coincidental and meaningless. I really can't imagine the D7100s were voiced to sound anything like Beats! Someone talk me off this ledge!

Quote:

The D7100 looks pretty miserable. The D600 at least looks ok. 

I did a little more investigating on the Denons. I believe I'm on to something here! 

Why don't you buy some and post something beyond speculation- that applies to everyone here commenting on graphs without multiple day, on-head experience. The D600 are nice, not $1000 nice, maybe not $400 nice but very competent.
For me, they do not have the deep, deep bass of the D5000/7000- it's different but IMO, not as good. The FR above sub bass is better or at least equal to my ears, smoother but still detailed. They also have a touch less air than the D5000/7000 (there is not that "turn-around, what's behind me" effect I had with the D7000).

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #937 of 1,588
Quote:
Why don't you buy some and post something beyond speculation- that applies to everyone here commenting on graphs without multiple day, on-head experience. The D600 are nice, not $1000 nice, maybe not $400 nice but very competent.
For me, they do not have the deep, deep bass of the D5000/7000- it's different but IMO, not as good. The FR above sub bass is better or at least equal to my ears, smoother but still detailed. They also have a touch less air than the D5000/7000 (there is not that "turn-around, what's behind me" effect I had with the D7000).

Why would I purchase a pair of headphones that are completely overpriced and don't compete with my headphones in the $600 range? 

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #941 of 1,588
 If I haven't completely lost my mind, I think I indeed spent a pretty penny on the D600; in fact, I sort of recall listening to the d600 every day and night for well over a week now (perhaps my previous posts failed to make this clear). I think I stated as much in my very last post even. Let me quote myself: "If the d600 sounded anything like beats pro, I would have returned them to Amazon without delay." Anyway, all I wanted to do was stress my surprise concerning this little fact: the D7100 has a frequency response very similar to the Beats Pro. That's not speculation, and I think there's nothing wrong with extrapolating on such facts--unless, of course, you can somehow convince me that graphs are completely worthless. I doubt that's possible though. Also, having bought the D600, indeed having spent 500 greenbacks on them, I think I've earned the right to pose a few questions. Who knows, I might be considering an upgrade soon, and I might just be considering the merits of the D7100 before giving away my hard earned money.  I don't mean to be cross about this (I'm sorry if this all sounds defensive), but let me make this crystal clear--for the record: I own the D600, and I think they a very good headphones, with a few notable flaws. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back