NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Feb 4, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #2,491 of 3,483
I live in a world of patterns and symbols. Like I said before, there is an auspicious timing to CA's rather constant generosity toward me. So, last night, I reminded myself that if I'm supposed to have them over Vega (as I have been recently struggling with wanting a bigger sound), then I need to work to find the value in Atlas and not give up so quickly. On a whim, I swapped my peels out my RHA tips. Hot damn, I've never heard an IEM take on such a drastic shift in sound. Previously experienced anxious tizzy completely resolved.

Thank you so much!

I'm glad you're finding some peace!

In fact, the many ways in which you can manipulate and squeeze goodness out of these babes, warrants keeping them IMO.
The possibilities and the quality are just too high to pass.
Let me know when you upgrade player and see what you think...

Enjoy!

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #2,492 of 3,483
I'm glad you're finding some peace!

In fact, the many ways in which you can manipulate and squeeze goodness out of these babes, warrants keeping them IMO.
The possibilities and the quality are just too high to pass.
Let me know when you upgrade player and see what you think...

Enjoy!
I very much enjoyed, this evening, hearing some songs that scale well with gear. For some artists, one would really hope for amazing sound on this great gear, but then realize that it was just poorly recorded/mastered. Butt then, there are all those other tracks that take on a whole new feel & texture.

https://tidal.com/track/21353084

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #2,493 of 3,483
I don't own Dots, no. Should I order some?
I would say yes. The Spiral Dots have been my go to for many IEM's. I feel it is always good to have wide bore tips as well as narrow.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #2,494 of 3,483
i cut the holes and it works great, out of 12 times i stick it in and don't get me wrong :D, i got driver flexd only one time.

i had a 45 min session of A/Bing spiral with complys, i ended up preferring the complys.

For me, the treble extension shows sibilance 30% of the time, on the other hand with the complys i feel the bass is tighter and the mids are more full (rather a bit thin with spiral), the complys are more musical and fun to my ears.

but i rolled them one after the other not as advised.

I will try to give each a full session, did you cut holes with final audio ones ?

iam tired of comparing already LOL
Wow about sibilance. It’s like you and I are describing two different earphones. Just don’t get it. Most reviews have agreed with me on the treble. But if that’s what you hear, that’s what you hear. Are you getting a good deal? Without that, any iem can sound sibilant.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2,495 of 3,483
Wow about sibilance. It’s like you and I are describing two different earphones. Just don’t get it. Most reviews have agreed with me on the treble. But if that’s what you hear, that’s what you hear. Are you getting a good deal? Without that, any iem can sound sibilant.
Good SEAL, I mean

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2,496 of 3,483

Well, with complys i am sure i get a good seal and sounds awesome, but with silicone is there a perfect seal along with driver flex ?

i am using spiral dots ML, i always try to get the best seal, i will try a larger one see if this makes a difference.

and also by sibilance i don't mean it as extreme, but some tsss in vocals that i can live with, but i enjoyed complys more.

i will do some more trials also with the seal and see if that will change.

Edit : might be the holes i put on the tips as suggested by @Luisonic to avoid driver flex, he didn't perceive the same sound as i did, may be the cuts i made were bigger that i couldnt get an air tight fit, and now the sound is thin and peaky.

but thanks for mentioning this i need to do some more tests

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #2,497 of 3,483
i cut the holes and it works great, out of 12 times i stick it in and don't get me wrong :D, i got driver flexd only one time.

i had a 45 min session of A/Bing spiral with complys, i ended up preferring the complys.

For me, the treble extension shows sibilance 30% of the time, on the other hand with the complys i feel the bass is tighter and the mids are more full (rather a bit thin with spiral), the complys are more musical and fun to my ears.

but i rolled them one after the other not as advised.

I will try to give each a full session, did you cut holes with final audio ones ?

iam tired of comparing already LOL
Sibilance is most often the file you are listening to and then exacerbated by your earphones. I have never hear anything remotely shrill with the Atlas, that said I believe you if you are hearing it. Are you sure it is not the case of not achieving a solid seal?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #2,498 of 3,483
Good SEAL, I mean

Sibilance is most often the file you are listening to and then exacerbated by your earphones. U have never hear anything remotely shrill with the Atlas,that said I believe you if you are hearing it. Are you sure it is not the case of not achieving a solid seal?

After having a good seal with spiral dots, the bass is much tighter and the mids is not thin anymore, still a bit aggressive for me though compared to more warm complys.

I also tried the final audio and was impressed with it, to my ears it seems to be the exact middle, not too smooth and warm, also not as aggressive ..

Iam sticking with it for a while.

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #2,499 of 3,483
After having a good seal with spiral dots, the bass is much tighter and the mids is not thin anymore, still a bit aggressive for me though compared to more warm complys.

I also tried the final audio and was impressed with it, to my ears it seems to be the exact middle, not too smooth and warm, also not as aggressive ..

Iam sticking with it for a while.

Yup, go with what works for you...
Just to be thorough, I've used the JVCs without the holes for a couple of days, and noticed two interesting things:

- no flex! I guess the ears have gotten used to the Atlas-CA roundness...
- sound is the same, and actually I hear the highs just a bit ore accentuated, maybe because the sound is more encapsulated than I'm used to.

I'll continue and see how it goes!

I do agree with the comment that, if you hear any sibilance, it's either the recording or the source. The Atlas have proven to be very gentle even in their honesty, and tips don't mess that much with the sound.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #2,500 of 3,483
Yup, go with what works for you...
Just to be thorough, I've used the JVCs without the holes for a couple of days, and noticed two interesting things:

- no flex! I guess the ears have gotten used to the Atlas-CA roundness...
- sound is the same, and actually I hear the highs just a bit ore accentuated, maybe because the sound is more encapsulated than I'm used to.

I'll continue and see how it goes!

I do agree with the comment that, if you hear any sibilance, it's either the recording or the source. The Atlas have proven to be very gentle even in their honesty, and tips don't mess that much with the sound.

thats funny because i got a new jvc of same size without the holes, tried inserting it different ways for over 20 times, not a single time without flex, i had to go lower one size then got a nice seal without flex but since its bit heavy i don't feel the fit is secure and that makes me wanna dig some smaller holes on a new tip of the larger size, but will try it later :D , i will enjoy some music for now.

ye i guess the sibilance is from the recording, but the over all sound is a bit aggressive to me compared to other tips .. also may be it just needs some time to get used too .. anyway that's it for me on this subject.

I am in love with the bass here and how everything sounds coherent, its done better than i have ever heard before.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,501 of 3,483
thats funny because i got a new jvc of same size without the holes, tried inserting it different ways for over 20 times, not a single time without flex, i had to go lower one size then got a nice seal without flex but since its bit heavy i don't feel the fit is secure and that makes me wanna dig some smaller holes on a new tip of the larger size, but will try it later :D , i will enjoy some music for now.

ye i guess the sibilance is from the recording, but the over all sound is a bit aggressive to me compared to other tips .. also may be it just needs some time to get used too .. anyway that's it for me on this subject.

I am in love with the bass here and how everything sounds coherent, its done better than i have ever heard before.
You will be fulfilled with more burn in. Both mids and treble got smoother more delicate and refined sounding with time. The aggressive thing will disappear, in other words. I’ve had mine 5 months. Use em every day. Am listening right now to Steely Dan “The Royal Scam.” Sound is incredible and better than my big rig.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #2,502 of 3,483
You will be fulfilled with more burn in. Both mids and treble got smoother more delicate and refined sounding with time. The aggressive thing will disappear, in other words. I’ve had mine 5 months. Use em every day. Am listening right now to Steely Dan “The Royal Scam.” Sound is incredible and better than my big rig.
The space and natural timbre and decay around cymbal strikes in Steely Dan’s “Home at Last “ and “I Got the News” is IMPRESSIVE. love these iems

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #2,503 of 3,483
Perilously close to pulling the trigger on the Atlas. I have heard some claims of fit issues...some even claiming it's a deal breaker. Can anyone who owns these comment on this?

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #2,505 of 3,483
Same here. You just have to find what tips work best for you. For me it’s comply foam tips. Silicone tips just don’t work for me fit or comfort and yes I’ve tried them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back