NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Feb 13, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #2,521 of 3,483
Campfire Atlas how I love thee, let me count the ways... It's been almost a week and I've only fallen more in love with my stainless steel titans. I don't have a lot of experience with different IEMs but I'm having a hard time imagining any that could make my music more immersive, engaging and, above all fun. Disregard any complaints you've heard that these are "too bassy"...at least until you've heard them for yourself. I can't stress this last point enough. I spent days on the internet researching different IEMs and almost got lost in the multitude of differing opinions and preferences-- it's so easy to get lost in a byway of someone's conflicting opinion. There is simply no substitute for trying something out and seeing if it works for you. On that note if you're at all into rock, EDM, reggae. anything rooted in rhythm and bass or that is otherwise guitar driven...you owe it to yourself to check these out :)

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #2,522 of 3,483
The Atlas is my favorite IEM as well. Apart from being «musical» and engaging, I also find it very honest – after a little equalizing. However, you certainly aren't interested in my compensation curve, are you?

CA Atlas EQ Curve.jpg

It may look like a nice geometrical figure, but it is carefully elaborated during many hours of occupation since I own it, with the goal of ultimate neutrality – using the FiiO X3 II's on-board octave equalizer. (If I use it with a Hugo₂, some modifications are needed, particularly for the 16 kHz band, which then is set to –0.8 dB.)

In numbers (from lows to highs):....–2.8....–4.4....–6....–4.4....–3.2....–1.6....–0.2....–1.8....–3.8....–0.4

It's hard for me to find any flaws with the Atlas after that. I'm particularly surprised by the quality of the treble, which in fact exceeds that of the Andromeda (to my ears). A revealing test was the reproduction of a fire crackle (on Ron Geesin's «To Roger Waters wherever you are»): Crisp and dry through the Atlas, somewhat «reverberative» and wet, almost like in a kitchen with the Andromeda. Don't get me wrong, I like the Andromeda as well, but consider the Atlas more honest and lifelike. So it seems that I don't have to care for the Solaris... The quality of the bass doesn't need to be pointed out any further, but I have to say that the purity, transparency and extension of the Atlas' low-frequency reproduction is really something special. And the midrange holds its own, at the latest after above ~4 dB boost.

After trying a few different cables I ended up with the standard Silver Litz as the best match, especially considering its upper-treble-friendliness and over-all high resolution.

So congrats to Campfire Audio!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,523 of 3,483
The Atlas is my favorite IEM as well. Apart from being «musical» and engaging, I also find it very honest – after a little equalizing. However, you certainly aren't interested in my compensation curve, are you?

It may look like a nice geometrical figure, but it is carefully elaborated during many hours of occupation since I own it, with the goal of ultimate neutrality – using the FiiO X3 II's on-board octave equalizer. (If I use it with a Hugo₂, some modifications are needed, particularly for the 16 kHz band, which then is set to –0.8 dB.)

In numbers (from lows to highs):....–2.8....–4.4....–6....–4.4....–3.2....–1.6....–0.2....–1.8....–3.8....–0.2

It's hard for me to find any flaws with the Atlas after that. I'm particularly surprised by the quality of the treble, which in fact exceeds that of the Andromeda (to my ears). A revealing test was the reproduction of a fire crackle (on Ron Geesin's «To Roger Waters wherever you are»): Crisp and dry through the Atlas, somewhat «reverberative» and wet, almost like in a kitchen with the Andromeda. Don't get me wrong, I like the Andromeda as well, but consider the Atlas more honest and lifelike. So it seems that I don't have to care for the Solaris... The quality of the bass doesn't need to be pointed out any further, but I have to say that the purity, transparency and extension of the Atlas' low-frequency reproduction is really something special. And the midrange holds its own, at the latest after above ~4 dB boost.

After trying a few different cables I ended up with the standard Silver Litz as the best match, especially considering its upper-treble-friendliness and over-all high resolution.

So congrats to Campfire Audio!

Thank-you for sharing that :) It's very heartening coming from someone of your obvious experience. I don't have much experience EQing at this point-- when I turn the EQ of my Fiio M9 on the sound becomes very muffled, so I just turn it off lol.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,524 of 3,483
I also should have mentioned that I use Comply Foam Ts-400 tips – since the tips can alter the tonal balance considerably. So I just had to install a fresh set of tips, and the new ones rather need –0.4 dB at 16 kHz than –0.2 dB.

Personally I avoid tips with a sleek inside (thus the typical silicone tips) since they add too much high-frequency reverb, whereas foam tips tend to provide better absorption.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,525 of 3,483
Seems that lately I have been getting Zero driver flex with Atlas and Final Tips included in the package :)

You can get some custom tips from Custom Art with the impressions you've sent in :)

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #2,526 of 3,483
Is there anybody in the US that can make custom tips for Atlas? Campfire Audio said Snugs but they are in the UK and don’t make them for Atlas. They do make them for Vega and some other CA models. I wish there was someone in the US.

Feb 14, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,527 of 3,483
Feb 14, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2,528 of 3,483
Thank-you for sharing that :) It's very heartening coming from someone of your obvious experience. I don't have much experience EQing at this point-- when I turn the EQ of my Fiio M9 on the sound becomes very muffled, so I just turn it off lol.

My approach is basically the same... I've done some e-quing with the Atlas only to go back and leave it alone. They're so balanced and well tuned, that I find it hard to move things without messing the stability of sound they convey, to my ears.
I'm now using the sp1000m, JVC spirals, no e-quing, match made in heaven.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,529 of 3,483
My approach is basically the same... I've done some e-quing with the Atlas only to go back and leave it alone. They're so balanced and well tuned, that I find it hard to move things without messing the stability of sound they convey, to my ears.
I'm now using the sp1000m, JVC spirals, no e-quing, match made in heaven.

I just ordered a pair of Spirals :)

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #2,531 of 3,483
What is the general consensus on Snugs here? Do they offer much improvement over say Comply (it comply seal well for the user?). It is difficult to keep buying tips which eventually fail - so wonder whether the investment is worth it

Feb 15, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #2,532 of 3,483
Am absolutely loving Atlas. So much that I might be selling my Andromeda-S, but will take some time to be sure of that decision.

Anyway, I really don't like that I have to keep referencing that tiny little blue or red dot, just to know which goes in which ear. I was marking them with blue and red sharpies, respectively, but it wears off in less than a day. So, today, I picked up some metallic nail polish on clearance (because: sparkle) and think it's going to do the trick. Looks a bit intense in the photo, but I think it came out pretty good. I used a flat tooth pick, grabbed a tiny bit of polish from the brush, and then used the flat edge to apply the color and spread it around.

46193874445_a0d911d517_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #2,535 of 3,483
On the tail end of a really spectacular evening, and very much not sober (mj), I'm here listening to an SACD/DSD of Goldfrapp's album, "Supernature". This duo are clearly masters of their craft and this production is superlative. Atlas gives it so much more... wow. The imagine between all the synth sounds. The boom in the bass, but solid nod to the textures of the trebles. I'm a happy, happy camper.

https://tidal.com/album/69136505

Users who are viewing this thread

Back