NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Feb 2, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,461 of 3,483
I use them as well. I have also found I step down in size from L to ML on the Atlas. I generally prefer a wide bore tip with bassy or warmer IEMs but with time, I migrated from the JVC tips and liked the Final Audio if I am not using customs. YMMV

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #2,462 of 3,483
For all of Final Audio tips users who don’t want to go the custom route, please do yourself a favor and try the JVC Spiral tips. Hands down best non-custom tip, IMHO. and I’ve tried them all

Would but they are a pain to get hold of, and don't come in multipacks so guessing which size I would need would get expensive in a hurry. Left takes a medium or up and right small is too small and medium up hurt.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,463 of 3,483
Its funny how everybody is different with tips. The only thing that works for me fit and comfort wise are comply foam tips. Also never had any driver flex with comply. I have driver flex and discomfort with spiral dots.

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,464 of 3,483
Currently, I've got the LG G7, and the Sony NWZ-A17. I'm hoping to get the ZX300 soon.

Yup, also for me, even using with the phone it rocks!
Don't know it, but apparently the ZX300 is as good as the wm1a... But if you're thinking Sony, I'd wait until they come out with their anniversary gear.

You'll see that the "better" the source, the more you're going to get from the Atlas...

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #2,465 of 3,483
Its funny how everybody is different with tips. The only thing that works for me fit and comfort wise are comply foam tips. Also never had any driver flex with comply. I have driver flex and discomfort with spiral dots.

They are super comfy and a joy to wear, but... you're missing out on the fantastic highs and stage you get from more open tips...
I'm the one that suggested making little holes on the JVC spirals to avoid driver flex, and after that operation I kissed flex goodbye... and the sq and openness are really amazing and worth it.

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #2,466 of 3,483
Yup, also for me, even using with the phone it rocks!
Don't know it, but apparently the ZX300 is as good as the wm1a... But if you're thinking Sony, I'd wait until they come out with their anniversary gear.

You'll see that the "better" the source, the more you're going to get from the Atlas...
When do you think that will be, when they come out with their anniversary gear?

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #2,467 of 3,483
Hello,

If possible would anybody who owns the comet be able to give me the approx diameter of the end of a nozzel please?

Contemplating a pair of comets but would need to ensure they're not too big

Thanks

Feb 2, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #2,468 of 3,483
So... I'm at 50hrs of burn in, and the bass has tamed itself too much. For example, on "Systemagic", by Goldfrapp, I get slammed with the bass rhythm at :30 when using Vega. To get that same level of impact on Atlas, I have to turn the volume up so loud that the trebles are just downright harsh.

Can someone please help me lift my hopes and confirm that this will continue to change? I'm in the position where I have to choose between keeping Atlas, or going back to Vega. At this moment, all the amazingness of Atlas isn't doing enough to match how impacted I am by Vega's bass presence and how consuming it feels to be inside the strings of the bass guitar. I can feel that same presence, but it's further back, and I have to navigate all these trebles in order to find it. For that, I can just use my Andromeda-S.

In essence, the bass is big, but it doesn't punch in the way that gets me up and moving.
:\

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #2,469 of 3,483
So... I'm at 50hrs of burn in, and the bass has tamed itself too much. For example, on "Systemagic", by Goldfrapp, I get slammed with the bass rhythm at :30 when using Vega. To get that same level of impact on Atlas, I have to turn the volume up so loud that the trebles are just downright harsh.

Can someone please help me lift my hopes and confirm that this will continue to change? I'm in the position where I have to choose between keeping Atlas, or going back to Vega. At this moment, all the amazingness of Atlas isn't doing enough to match how impacted I am by Vega's bass presence and how consuming it feels to be inside the strings of the bass guitar. I can feel that same presence, but it's further back, and I have to navigate all these trebles in order to find it. For that, I can just use my Andromeda-S.

In essence, the bass is big, but it doesn't punch in the way that gets me up and moving.
:\
A lot of people prefer the Vega to the Atlas, and you just might be one of them.
Out of the entire campfire lineup, Vega is still my favorite, Solaris included.
If you like the Vega, maybe you should stick with it.
Put that money towards a DAP.

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #2,470 of 3,483
A lot of people prefer the Vega to the Atlas, and you just might be one of them.
Out of the entire campfire lineup, Vega is still my favorite, Solaris included.
If you like the Vega, maybe you should stick with it.
Put that money towards a DAP.
Thanks for that bit of info.
Atlas wasn't a purchase I made, but an upgrade from Vega that CA offered me due to issues with the adhesive coming apart on the left unit. Naturally, Atlas won't ever have that problem, which is nice. I love that they even offered, as I don't feel inconvenienced by sending Vega back for repair every now and then. Once I've had more time with Atlas, for it to finish burning in, I may ask CA to send me another Vega, so I can A/B. Then, I'll be able to decide which I need at this stage in my life. :p

Looking forward to what a burned-in Atlas sound like.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #2,471 of 3,483
Aw, heck yeah. I think I found the solution to my problem. I remind myself of the auspicious nature of being offered Atlas that this particular stage in what's going on in my life. If it's landing here for a reason, then I need to find it. But... I can't handle the weak bass presence. All I'm hearing is strong, sometimes harsh, trebles and this huge, yet not-present-enough bass. So, I swapped out the Pure Silver cable for the stock Litz of the Vega/Andro-S. Just wow. The bass punches again. Sure, it's a bit less detailed, but I think that would be better used on my Andro-S, which I find a bit bassy and would rather it be a touch less so.

Looking forward to the impending DAP upgrade, to see how this all changes.

EDIT: Nope. Just sounds like a variation on the Andromeda-S. Both sound too similar to each other. Hrmmm

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #2,472 of 3,483
They are super comfy and a joy to wear, but... you're missing out on the fantastic highs and stage you get from more open tips...
I'm the one that suggested making little holes on the JVC spirals to avoid driver flex, and after that operation I kissed flex goodbye... and the sq and openness are really amazing and worth it.

Can you post a pic to show where exactly you made the holes, because you said before that you made it to the bells and not the tube,

can you show the exact spot ?

Thanks !

Feb 3, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #2,473 of 3,483
IMG_2346.JPG
IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2358.JPG
Can you post a pic to show where exactly you made the holes, because you said before that you made it to the bells and not the tube,

can you show the exact spot ?

Thanks !

Here we go...
I'm even using the same pair of scissors that I used, just thrusting the tip through, as in the picture.
I figured I had three pairs, and two would be sitting there for a while, so I took a chance. Glad I did.

First I tried with two opposing holes per each, then I went to four opposing holes, as N E W and S, and that did it for me.
These are very resistant and well made tips, and these holes do nothing at all to the integrity.
The holes are there but they're not easy to see or find even (it took me a couple of minutes to find one with the scissors to make the pics!).
Sometimes I feel the flex and the air immediately exit through the holes and bye-bye. I introduce them in the ear with a rotating motion going from up to down, and that does it.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #2,474 of 3,483
Did you post any pics, as i don't see any ..

Edited : Found them, they didn't load at first.

Great, so you cut at the angle between the tube and head.

I will have to try this !

Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2,475 of 3,483
When do you think that will be, when they come out with their anniversary gear?

I heard in the Sony forum that it should happen maybe May this year, so if you're thinking about you can wait.

Regarding your other issues, I have a couple of comments, one of which you already found:

SQ depends on many factors, of which for you:
- Headphones- and the tips you use
- Cable
- Source- and the music you load.

If you were happy with the Vegas, which I haven't heard, seems that you like the sonic boom of the bass.
I'd say give the Atlas some time (they're at the awkward-teens stage of burn) and play with the other factors.

I was going to suggest to use the other copper cables you had, and maybe even some aftermarket stuff, which in general helps the sound loads. Silver is very transparent and sparkly in general, and if that's not something you appreciate then maybe change.
Also, the tips greatly condition the Atlas sound, as you may have read a bit here... :wink:
Try the complys, which hold the highs in tight, or the narrow-bore silicone tips that come in the package, which also give you an extra boom.

I'm a balanced sound lover, so I go for the ak dap sound (of course there are many others) and the wide bore, which gives me the open, even sound I enjoy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back