New Beyer DT1350
Jun 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,786 of 4,010
As bad as the graphs look....the Beyer DT1350 are still the best sounding Portable headphones under $300. I won't be getting rid of mine any time soon.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,787 of 4,010
Only if you ignore the entirety of the IEM market.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #1,788 of 4,010
Well he did say portable headphones so from that start he wasn't looking at iems at all 
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #1,789 of 4,010
I'm e-mailing someone at beyer about ordering the 1350 directly from them...he says they just got a new batch in this morning from Germany.  I asked him if he has heard anything about quality control accusations.  I'm sure he won't be able to respond in any way other than to say they have an excellent history of quality control, etc., etc., but I'll let you guys know if he says anything unexpected.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,790 of 4,010
The IEM market. I have heard that one before. I used to buy any IEM out there under 300 dollars, a couple over that if we are talking MSRP, and have just about used them all though nothing released in the last year for clarity's sake. All of them are not even on the same level as the Moda's imo.

I no longer will touch anything not custom in the IEM market because they are cheap garbage. The parts they use to manufacture half of that crap could not even get to a level 10dB below these without significant distortion in the bass frequencies and the Ety's don't have any sparkle on the top end either. Good mids and that is why I use them for film late at night. They may be more portable though so I give them that edge. I don't even like hauling around these DTs but if we are talking sound no way in hell.

I only say the Ety's because I still like that they are accurate phones and they are kind of a staple in the market. Others are usually only a bit better in the highs and bass and none of them have ever amazed me and most break down within a couple months because they are so delicate and so small that one drop could mean DONE. I also like that the cords for these DT1350s are long enough I can just hook them up to my receiver when fairly close to the TV. All the IEMs I have tried and bought over the years need extensions even for 3 feet away.

If you are talking 500+ IEMs then you might have a case. MIGHT. That market is usually more in the 700+ range though and way out of my budget.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,791 of 4,010
No offence swarthy but you do realize that you are starting to sound like a fanboy? It's great that you like your DT1350 as much as you do but try not bash people with different opinions. I love my DT1350 but do I think they are perfect? No. Do I think that they will suit everyone? No. As soon as you put on those rozy colored glasses, you loose all objectivity and the only thing you'll achieve at that point is to hurt your own credibility.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #1,792 of 4,010
Oh, you mean the objectivity that comes from looking at charts made by a forumite and saying wow these headphones are awful?

I have been an exclusive IEM buyer for the past 10 years I know exactly what I am talking about. More like the fanboys cannot stand me talking about their precious garbage. I too have owned much of this garbage so please.... my objectivity comes from hours and hours of listening to dozens of IEMs. I come to the conclusion that Etymotic, no matter how nice they are in CS, is basically a junk company run for profit and nothing more. Their high-end is far far from high-end imo.

It's really nothing to me but going through countless pairs looking for something that would suit me. The quality just isn't there for loud volumes and that is about that for ME.

Now when you start getting into high-end IEMs that is entirely different.

Sorry, I don't have rose colored glasses. I look at things through a very critical process. I throw away garbage if it is garbage. I don't care how much it costs. If I made a mistake I sell it or throw it. I don't make a whole lot of mistakes anymore in audio because there is usually a way of hearing things before you buy them these days.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,793 of 4,010
Quote:
The IEM market. I have heard that one before. I used to buy any IEM out there under 300 dollars, a couple over that if we are talking MSRP, and have just about used them all though nothing released in the last year for clarity's sake. All of them are not even on the same level as the Moda's imo.

Noting that I listen to a lot of mid-century jazz, some classical and a wide variety of other genres, I think the Sony XBA-3s are very good. That being said, I did have issues with just about every IEM I tried (in store, out of my DX100). I haven't been wowed by the DT1350's yet, but then, I had lower expectations of the M80s and higher expectations of the DT1350s. The main thing about them for me, being that I live in Japan was that they were better isolating and better-sounding than the ESW10JPNs which were all the rage a while back. Much cheaper too.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,794 of 4,010
It does depend on what you listen to. I mean, I cannot say I was WOWed by the DTs because my car setup is over 5K and trounces a lot of midfi home systems. But I have come to love them in many ways because they are the closest a 300 dollar pair has come to my car and of course they are way more personal.

I mean I hope people don't think I DO NOT point out flaws. Obvious flaws in the DT are soundstage to me. That is not even CLOSE to my car but for certain types of music it can be better and more intimate.

IEMs I just gave up on as I was eyeing a 1000$ pair and thought why I am doing this again lol. I would love to hear Beyer, Sein, etc. with their next versions of the top models as well as Audeze if they plan on releasing anything in the full cup genre.

If anybody releases a 300-400 beater in the IEM market I would definitely give it a shot though.

As far as IEMs I would love to try a new pair but my trust is not there. I think I only briefly heard those Sony's but that was when I was about done in the IEM genre.

No question IEMs are king of portability but they break so damn easily....

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,795 of 4,010
That does it I give up. I'm just going to use the block feature and be done with it. I come on here for some friendly chat and a few laughs not to watch someone completely lose their mind when someone doesn't like what they like. Why some people choose to act immature over a piece of metal attached to a couple of drivers I'll never understand. Block turned on.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,799 of 4,010
Soooooooooooooooo, how about those 1350s, eh?  :beyersmile:

Never really did like `em. If I want on-ear cans with forward treble I'll buy Grados, at least that way I know my Dick Dale and Joe Satriani will sound right. :D

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,800 of 4,010
Quote:
Never really did like `em. If I want on-ear cans with forward treble I'll buy Grados, at least that way I know my Dick Dale and Joe Satriani will sound right.
biggrin.gif

Grados were my first decent headphones.  I really did like them, but after hearing some headphones with more clarity there was no turning back.  I'm sure their higher end models are better in that area, but I need something closed for work and travel...

I'm not sure I've heard the 1350s described as having really forward treble, though.  I thought that was more along the hd25 side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back