New Beyer DT1350
Jun 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #1,801 of 4,010
Always wanted to hear the high-end grado's.

Also, I don't really think these are too forward in the treble but I know what you mean if you are used to the Grado's I have heard I guess. I think that sparkle needs a bit of forward treble and live music is always loud and clear in that area. But I have no problem using an EQ either. For just porting these I find the normal sound sig to be one of my favorites at moderate to high volumes.

Anybody here heard of some of the wooden Grado's? I never hear them talked up with some of the others.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,802 of 4,010
Quote:

Grados were my first decent headphones.  I really did like them, but after hearing some headphones with more clarity there was no turning back.  I'm sure their higher end models are better in that area, but I need something closed for work and travel...

I'm not sure I've heard the 1350s described as having really forward treble, though.  I thought that was more along the hd25 side of things.

I didn't think any of the three 1350s I listened to sounded forward either. But it could depend upon which chocolate you picked out from the box. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,803 of 4,010
That is because they are not forward they have PEAKS when pushed to max, e.g. 125dB, that are beyond annoying. And if you are pushing those with a bad amp they only get worse when driven hard. No idea who could hate these headphones, unless with fit, much less give out ideas on phones that have no business even being considered audiophile.

I think some people need to put the compressed nickelback down and listen to some real music.

How these are forward IDK? Pretty balanced if you ask me. Must be that box of chocolates. Can you say at all in detail why you think they are forward? It might help someone.

I swear some people listen to music in a vacuum without actually hearing it in real life. Real life music is pretty loud and forward if you ask me. Now on compressed as **** music yeah these don't sound so hot I can agree there. Take RHCP Californication: Awful. Just Awful. Give me something that doesn't even have treble. That album sounds so horrendous as to be a joke.

But yeah, I think I can retire from this thread besides the occasional drive-by. Same old same old.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #1,804 of 4,010
Quote:
That is because they are not forward they have PEAKS when pushed to max, e.g. 125dB, that are beyond annoying. And if you are pushing those with a bad amp they only get worse when driven hard.

You're only 4dB from the max dude!  Listen loud, go deaf young, screw the future

You know you wanna...

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,806 of 4,010
I listen at those volumes trying to find a suitable EQ for ****ty compressed music. I do it in doses under a minute but thank you. And it's quite obvious too many people here do not attend live concerts. I take breaks at those in case you are wondering. But yeah thanks.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #1,808 of 4,010
I don't think they honestly go quite that loud I am just estimating but they sure as hell go loud and I have tried many headphones. Anyway, at some point bass will dump these speakers as well. Doesn't mean you cannot bring them to that point to see what they are worth. As long as the amp is clean I want to see how far they can go.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,809 of 4,010
Quote:
I listen at those volumes trying to find a suitable EQ for ****ty compressed music. I do it in doses under a minute but thank you. And it's quite obvious too many people here do not attend live concerts. I take breaks at those in case you are wondering. But yeah thanks.

You should probably wear some earplugs if you're going to 125dB rock concerts...

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,810 of 4,010
Seriously, have ANY of you attended a Metal concert in your little tiny lives? Bull. I mean REALLY? This is beyond a joke. Rock concerts are routinely in the 120dB range.

Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" is said to have reached 130 dB (SPL) observed by a team of participants at the American Speech–Language–Hearing Association.[3] Daniel Kreps of Rolling Stone argues that "Whole Lotta Love" established Led Zeppelin's reputation as one of the loudest bands of their time

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,812 of 4,010
You don't need any kind of engineering degree to see a spectrum chart and go WOW or YIKES beyond understanding things about the peaks, especially in the treble, and how your ears perceive them.

So everybody here is an audio engineer now? This thread gets cuter by the day.

On July 15, 2009, in Ottawa, Canada, the band KISS achieved a SPL of 136 dB measured during their live performance (not the sound check). After noise complaints from neighbors in the area, the band was forced to turn the volume down.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,813 of 4,010
Quote:
Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker" is said to have reached 130 dB (SPL) observed by a team of participants at the American Speech–Language–Hearing Association.[3] Daniel Kreps of Rolling Stone argues that "Whole Lotta Love" established Led Zeppelin's reputation as one of the loudest bands of their time

That's specifically why I don't go.

It stops being enjoyable when my ears hurt.  I'd still like to be able to enjoy music well into my old age.

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,814 of 4,010
There was one Billy Joel concert in the early 90s, or was it the late 80s. It was particularly memorable to me because of the reasonable SPLs, low distortion, and lack of any clipping. I also noticed very good quality equipment set up correctly. He definitely had some very good sound people working for him. Similar experience with 10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant, k.d. Lang, etc. Even Lyle Lovett with his big band wasn't deafening.

PIL and the Sugarcubes was different though. I had to use my earplugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back