New Beyer DT1350
Mar 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,276 of 4,010

Quote:
I'm not quite sure that the problem here is in Beyerdynamic QC, but rather in the user. These headphones are really difficult to position exactly right on your head. I find it's like solving a Rubiks cube every time I put DT-1350 on my head. Even the smallest changes in the positioning change the sound quality dramatically resulting in channel imbalances and complete loss of bass.

If it's that bad, it doesn't sound like a good design. Personally I had no issues with fit. The good one sounded "good". The one with the poorly matched drivers sounded "off." It's that simple. This was confirmed via measurements.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,277 of 4,010

Alignment marks. I'll position them in a way to where I get the best measurements and note position. And no, slight offsets don't produce massive changes in FR. They actually tend to change the treble characteristics. I don't use a dummy head either - the coupling mechanism (and compensating curves) are more immune to changes in position.

Ok. Interesting. Then that is not the reason for those major differences you have found in your samples.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,278 of 4,010

Quote:
If it's that bad, it doesn't sound like a good design. Personally I had no issues with fit. The good one sounded "good". The one with the poorly matched drivers sounded "off." It's that simple. This was confirmed via measurements.

I do find the overall design to be poor, but sonically when perfectly positioned and properly amped I do think they are among the best closed cans available.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,280 of 4,010

Quote:
I prefer the M50 but I did think the DT1350 was one of the better closed cans out there.  Still, that's not saying much if you know what I mean. 

To me they are in completely different leagues.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #1,281 of 4,010
I think the DT1350 does certain things better- it sounded snappier, faster to me.  But as an overall package including more than just speed, the M50 is truer to the source.  Of course, I've only heard one pair of DT1350's. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,283 of 4,010

Quote:
As good as the DT1350 is, I think it's unfair to compare them to a full-size closed back headphone. They can't match the M50's bass depth, but the DT1350's have amazing PRaT.

You are probably right in this but I would suggest you listen to them balanced before you write them off completely in this comparison.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,284 of 4,010

Quote:
As good as the DT1350 is, I think it's unfair to compare them to a full-size closed back headphone. They can't match the M50's bass depth, but the DT1350's have amazing PRaT.

The dt1350 handles songs even like 'Bass, I love you' very well. Not loud loud bass, but it is definitely audible, even on a very noisy bus where bass frequencies start to get attenuated due to all the outside noise and the bus engine.

I have not heard a lot of headphones, but in terms of bass depth the DT1350 is comparable to the Denon D2000, just not as loud but they both do not roll off. Amazing bass depth, have you played with the beyer's fit?

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,285 of 4,010

Quote:
There's also the fact that you have well documented proof of QC issues with Beyer's flagship TOTL 1200 dollar headphone.  That taken with  this single measurement of their 300 dollar headphone that has the same exact kind of QC issues, and it's very unlikely to be a coincidence.  Very very unlikely.  

Could be Beyer's not actually doing the driver matching?  Maybe certain steps in the process are outsourced or hell maybe even all of it is?

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #1,286 of 4,010
It does say "Made in Germany" for whatever that counts...

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,287 of 4,010
Got my new set today. Number 14883.

I think people who come by opinions of headphones rarely seem to actually get into the phones and to play with them, EQ them, etc. You really have to take some people's opinions with a grain of salt. I mean, you cannot objectively state this or that is better when you have heard one pair for 10 minutes. You can in your own world but beyond that....

Same thing with the driver matching. Until we have a high sample base than it's pretty much just speculation. All of these problems happen with all phones and that is a fact. I like that you are doing comparisons. That is awesome but please stop acting like you test every pair of every manufacturer man. You have no idea how many bad phones are in other company's lineups. To act like Senn has never issues a bad pair of headphones in their history is ludicrous. Just because you have never measured something means absolutely nothing and that is about that. This is a new technology for Beyer and there are always problems with new technology. I would hope right now that everything is ironed out. If the issues still persist than yes there is a huge problem.

I am NOT making excuses. If this is a serious problem then you send them back to Beyer. Simple as that. Anybody have any really good ways to test these without graphs? Can you tell me what your pair sound like that are mismatched and maybe help others try to see if they have the same problem. Right now your new pair look very well matched.

Can you tell us the numbers on your pairs?

I am currently listening very closely to the speakers to see if I can tell a mismatch. Your one graph scares me lol and I don't think mine sound like that from what I can tell. If I get a pair like your new ones than I am a happy camper. These are quality man. Some of you guys are just wanking on these for no good reason other than they are expensive. The m50 I don't think are that great of phones but to each their own.

I don't know. If I hear a 3dB mismatch that should be easier to spot. If it is around 1 to 1.5 that is not going to kill me.

I don't really have an objective opinion yet. I am breaking these in right now and I have about 20 hours with the last used pair. Right now these are amazing quality for 300 bucks but I have to do further testing. The clamping force was disappointing imo and people here saying it is super clamp have no idea what they are talking about or they have weak and very large heads lol. These things don't quite clamp enough and I will not be putting them back in their molded case a whole lot as that thing just stretches them out.

Anyway, will be back soon with some details. For all headphones I think an EQ is necessary. I don't think you can get the sound you want without one. And if you are just listening on an ipod I don't think these are for you. They sounded 10x better through my denon 2112ci outlet.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,288 of 4,010

Quote:

Depends on the company.  These days it could be highly skilled German workers or cheap (and probably marginally legal) Turkish laborers.  In the case of Beyer Dynamics, I would think it is the former.

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #1,289 of 4,010

Quote:

Maybe they use Sennheiser's reject drivers 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #1,290 of 4,010
Comparing these with the M50s is also a bit ridiculous when you don't offer any real information about them.

Unless I am misunderstanding you think the m50s sound tons better? What a load of crap. These are leagues AHEAD of those in many (read most) genres of music like classical and that is not even up for debate imo. While good for the price those are some pretty cheap headphones man. Maybe if you are a basshead.... but to say those are some kind of king killers are something is beyond absurd. Please. These DT1350s are marvelous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back