New Beyer DT1350
Mar 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #1,246 of 4,010
Wow, interesting to see this thread blow up once some measurements were posted.  I do find the disparity between the channels in purrin's set alarming, but I know that with headphones in general, and in particular with such fit and placement-sensitive headphones as the DT1350 in particular, I have a hard time hearing whether the unit I have suffers from QC/driver mismatch issues.  I went through a similar ordeal with my LCD-3, which I enjoyed initially until I felt an intangible sense of something lacking in the midrange, and I wasn't satisfied until I sent my pair back for Audeze to inspect (and apparently replace).

I am enjoying my DT1350s, but I mainly use them in a portable, non-critical listening context where comfort and isolation are the most important factors (and where I don't feel like using IEMs).  I can't tell whether my unit has sub-optimal driver issues, but I wouldn't say that they're noticeably flawed.  I would say that their sound can vary quite a bit depending on the positioning of the cups and the degree of seal that I get.  The only other closed, semi-portable headphone I have for comparison is the Edition 8, and I think the DT1350 is almost on par technically with the Ed. 8--I could see someone preferring the DT1350 based on a preference for a midrange-focused sound signature and the increased isolation, in addition to the ~$1200 price difference.

For what it's worth, didn't Tyll measure these and come away impressed? Obviously, he may have had only 1 unit (and possibly a hand-selected one), but his good measurements were one of the early selling points of the DT1350s for me.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #1,247 of 4,010

Quote:

For what it's worth, didn't Tyll measure these and come away impressed? Obviously, he may have had only 1 unit (and possibly a hand-selected one), but his good measurements were one of the early selling points of the DT1350s for me.

If you notice looking at Tyll's measurements you can see the mis-match with them even though Tyll was very impressed by them.  He failed to mention this issue during the review. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,248 of 4,010
Just thought I would share something. Over the past two weeks or so I've had 2 pairs of 1350s. The first pair had a mid-bass hump that was somewhat excessive and flabby and most importantly an unnatural timbre. It was still pretty impressive given the fast clean transients and the big sound coming from such a little package. The 2nd pair I have is free of the 2 problems mentioned above, which leads me to think the first pair was defective somewhat. Both had serial numbers in the 14,000s. I think Mike at Headphonia had the first kind, since he mentions unnatural timbre, but I think Tyll and Jude might have the correct pair (This of course is purely speculative).

I returned the first pair and I'm enjoying the 2nd pair very much. To me they're beyond incredibly awesome, they sound like baby HE-500s. The drivers are so fast and clean they sound more like planars instead of traditional dynamics. The bass extension/resolution is just incredible and the mids have a nice bloom that give vocals a nice upfront sweet presentation. Definitely my kind of sound.

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,251 of 4,010
That's not exactly heartening for potential customers. 
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #1,252 of 4,010
I think it's wishful thinking to assume there's simply 2 versions out there, each supposedly matched precisely within that version.  I'm sure some of you have better units than others.  But FWIW, I heard the pair Purrin measured and did not hear the channel imbalance.  Granted, I didn't listen to them that long, and I don't think I'm that sensitive to channel imbalances.  I'm sensitive to other things....

Also FWIW, I've owned multiple Beyers in my time.  The DT1350 was the closest Beyer has ever come to making a phone I could listen to, but they still fell short.  By quite a bit.  They do have good qualities though, as I posted in this thread earlier. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,254 of 4,010
I'm just saying I think it's more likely that there is only one version with loose QC.  But who knows.  Think of it as being Easter every day!  Each phone is a different colored egg!  And some happen to be rotten, just like on easter...

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #1,256 of 4,010
Based on the pictures in that post I believed we can assume their is at least two version with different damping.[=http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350/1155#post_8145248][/]

I'm just saying I think it's more likely that there is only one version with loose QC.  But who knows.  Think of it as being Easter every day!  Each phone is a different colored egg!  And some happen to be rotten, just like on easter...

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,257 of 4,010
Cool. RD and I can mod them to sound better. I was thinking that would be funny if the DT1350 I measured had different dampings on each side - straight from the factory. But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised coming from Beyer.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,258 of 4,010
I sent my DT1350 rewired using Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon wire with a dual entry and the HD25 velour pads to purrin to test.  He can easily take these pads off for a normal earphone test as well.  

I also sent the ATH-ESW10JPN to him.  

Purrin is building a great resource base and manufacturers will have to respond to this new paradigm.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #1,259 of 4,010
Yay for you!

Quote:
Cool. RD and I can mod them to sound better. I was thinking that would be funny if the DT1350 I measured had different dampings on each side - straight from the factory. But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised coming from Beyer.

Yeah I was close to buying a T50p to try to mod when it came out and the square waves looked great but the FR was all wonky and I saw those empty metal cups....  But IMO the design is flawed because of the fit/seal problems as well... :frowning2:...

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,260 of 4,010
Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to mod a T50p.  Also, it lacks the driver filters that DT1350 has, which would make modifying T50p all the tougher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back