New Beyer DT1350
May 14, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #286 of 4,010

Quote:
Clarifying last post : My tests of 1350 compared to Sennheiser 800 and B&W P5.

Of these three the P5 is by far the darkest for me. It's almost "muffled". And the H800 does have that boosted "presence range" of 3-7KHz that you earlier doubted it has. So in direct comparison the magnitude of the difference seems a lot bigger than it really is.
For me the DT1350 is on the warm side of the force. Not dark at all. And slightly laid back, I can agree to that. But only if you achieve perfect seal. Maybe you should go the other way round and loose some of that to bring back the presence a little more (/ loose some of that fundament)? Just saying.

Disclaimer: I am a "bright, please!" kind of guy, I prefer bright sounding headgear. The P5 for example is painful to listen to for me because of it's muddy darkness that sucks out all the energy...

m00h

May 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #287 of 4,010
1) Only 5 of 40 people liked the HD800? Pretty funny.
2) Minus 25 db at 7 khz is a "downward slope"? Thats hilarious.
3 The LCD2 or SR007 as popular or as highly regarded as the HD800? Mind boggling!

May 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #288 of 4,010

Of these three the P5 is by far the darkest for me. It's almost "muffled". And the H800 does have that boosted "presence range" of 3-7KHz that you earlier doubted it has. So in direct comparison the magnitude of the difference seems a lot bigger than it really is.
For me the DT1350 is on the warm side of the force. Not dark at all. And slightly laid back, I can agree to that. But only if you achieve perfect seal. Maybe you should go the other way round and loose some of that to bring back the presence a little more (/ loose some of that fundament)? Just saying.

Disclaimer: I am a "bright, please!" kind of guy, I prefer bright sounding headgear. The P5 for example is painful to listen to for me because of it's muddy darkness that sucks out all the energy...

m00h

The problem with the 1350 isnt a perception of "darkness" or some other such vague feeling. The problem is the lack of important musical detail that is missing due to that undeniable minus 25 db suckout in the upper midrange or lower highs. I suppose many people don't miss it because its not on their list of favorite things.

May 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #289 of 4,010
And BTW the notion that the general public would prefer a "rolled off" treble isnt supported by any statistics I have heard. Rolled off treble on a low budget peaky crappy sounding headphone maybe. But you dont get Sennheiser HD800 sound for cheap. I cant even imagine if HD800 sound were available for $300. That would sell in the millions. Unless someone thinks a brand new Porsche Carrera selling for $10000 would just be ignored by the general public. ?????

May 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #290 of 4,010
And just so you dont get the wrong idea I hope you are right about the 1350 and I am wrong because I so much wanted to love that headphone and buy one to keep. The bass is to kill for. If it turns out to be highly regarded I will retrain my brain to love the new kind of sound.

May 14, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #291 of 4,010

Quote:
1) Only 5 of 40 people liked the HD800? Pretty funny.
2) Minus 25 db at 7 khz is a "downward slope"? Thats hilarious.
3 The LCD2 or SR007 as popular or as highly regarded as the HD800? Mind boggling!

2) That was indeed an euphemism, if the 25db "hole" is "proven". But mesuring headphones is a very difficult thing to do. Only relatives measurements between headphones, made with the exact same setup should be taken into account.
3) From what I've been reading here for quite a long time, the LCD2 and SR007 seem to be actually regarded as at the very least as good as the HD800. The SR007 are often said to be a notch above. At this price point however it seems to be a question of system and musical genres though, a very complex affair where one cannot clearly say if there is such a thing as a "better" headphone.

And anyway let's not derail too much this thread shall we ?

May 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #292 of 4,010

Quote:
The problem with the 1350 isnt a perception of "darkness" or some other such vague feeling. The problem is the lack of important musical detail that is missing due to that undeniable minus 25 db suckout in the upper midrange or lower highs. I suppose many people don't miss it because its not on their list of favorite things.

It's not "missing". It's just not as much "in your face" as it is with the HD800 which is pronounced in the frequency area (making it sharp and harsh which is one of the main complaints I am reading about it).
I also get the feeling that you don't really knot how much 25db are and what the measuring graph really means. Your "undeniable" 25db are 10db at best in reality. If you look at all the other headphone graphs you'll see, that a 15db drop is common, even 25 db in narrow ranges can be found on many (closed!) headphones, even really good ones. A 10-15db drop It's in the whole system and not a fault a single headphone. Even the M50 which I would consider to be "bright" (love it!) drops over 20db in a narrow range.

What gives you the impression you have is the slight rolloff from the bass to the upper mids, not the narrow -25db drop alone. Especially compared to the HD800 which boosts this area!
The "truth" is probably somewhere in between these two but I wouldn't say that either one of these is better is the sense of "fidelity". Pick you poison.

And yes, I like my "quotation marks"! :D

m00h

May 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #293 of 4,010
It's not "missing". It's just not as much "in your face" as it is with the HD800 which is pronounced in the frequency area (making it sharp and harsh which is one of the main complaints I am reading about it).
I also get the feeling that you don't really knot how much 25db are and what the measuring graph really means. Your "undeniable" 25db are 10db at best in reality. If you look at all the other headphone graphs you'll see, that a 15db drop is common, even 25 db in narrow ranges can be found on many (closed!) headphones, even really good ones. A 10-15db drop It's in the whole system and not a fault a single headphone. Even the M50 which I would consider to be "bright" (love it!) drops over 20db in a narrow range.

What gives you the impression you have is the slight rolloff from the bass to the upper mids, not the narrow -25db drop alone. Especially compared to the HD800 which boosts this area!
The "truth" is probably somewhere in between these two but I wouldn't say that either one of these is better is the sense of "fidelity". Pick you poison.

m00h

I have heard the HD800 described by a few people as slightly bright but you are the first I have heard to say sharp and harsh. Must be some really bad source material. And youre right that the 1350 suckout is only "10 additional db" below normal. But then 10 db below normal is a lot.

May 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #294 of 4,010

Quote:
Quote:

m00h

I have heard the HD800 described by a few people as slightly bright but you are the first I have heard to say sharp and harsh. Must be some really bad source material. And youre right that the 1350 suckout is only "10 additional db" below normal. But then 10 db below normal is a lot.

Here you go then. I find the HD800 sharp & harsh. I have a pair sat here in a box. Haven't listened to them for weeks.

May 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #295 of 4,010
I have owned several closed cans, including the D7000, the DX1000, Sonys Z1000 and the SRH840. None of these was as balanced as the DT-1350. Right now it gets 80 percent of my listening time, 15 percent go to the HD800 and five percent to the SE530 inears. Go figure. 

May 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #296 of 4,010

Quote:
I have owned several closed cans, including the D7000, the DX1000, Sonys Z1000 and the SRH840. None of these was as balanced as the DT-1350. Right now it gets 80 percent of my listening time, 15 percent go to the HD800 and five percent to the SE530 inears. Go figure. 

Would you describe the bass of the DT1350 as powerful with authority and the ability to "shake you like an earthquake"?

May 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #297 of 4,010

Have you notice an improvement in the Bass after a while? Have you done some burn in on them? I found the bass pretty good so far but would like a better decay. I hope it will loose up a bit because it's very tight to a point that it's missing the vibration layer. I don't know if I describe it ok.

May 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #298 of 4,010
Would you describe the bass of the DT1350 as powerful with authority and the ability to "shake you like an earthquake"?

This is a great question but one which may not get a reliable answer since extremely few recordings have those frequencies and when they do are very very weak. If you want to know how the 1350 handles those frequencies you can try test tones which will answer the question. BTW I have the 'Earthquake' DVD and it does not have the low frequencies at all. I know that the low frequencies were in the original soundtrack because of the special loudspeakers that were used in the theaters for the movie. Whenever I recommend a music recording nobody has it so good luck on finding something.

May 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #299 of 4,010

Yes, it is extended and well defined. Though I have to admit that I am not a basshead. The bass is not as fat as with the D7000, but deeper and more controlled than with the SRH840. As to "shake you like an earthquake": This will take something else than a headphone, though I am not an expert for earthquakes, too. You might get this by using a shaker under your chair or sofa, not a headphone. 

Have you notice an improvement in the Bass after a while? Have you done some burn in on them? I found the bass pretty good so far but would like a better decay. I hope it will loose up a bit because it's very tight to a point that it's missing the vibration layer. I don't know if I describe it ok.

The bass improves, but that is due to a better fit, not to burnin. Do you have a headphone that provides "better decay", so we can get an idea what you mean? One of the major advantages of the 1350 is its FAST decay, i.e. its fast response to impulses and quick settling time. But that is quite opposite to "decay", which might be a preferred sound signature but not necessarily a sign of high quality. 

@badbob: There is no review of the 1350 on innerfidelity. You are referring to the opinion of one user who loves his DT48 more than anything else. 

May 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #300 of 4,010
Thanks jhebert (That sound very French for Germany) for your information.  I think I have a good fix already on the Dt1350 (Way better than T50p) and Yesterday I was doing a quick comparaison (At work while waiting for a task to complete) between the dt1350 and my Ortofon e-Q5 (I know they are IEM but that was I have at work) and notice that Bass strum or kick drum from music had impact but was missing the vibration earded after (refer to decay for me) on the DT1350. I also remember the same from my JVC FX700 (Gone now)  IEM. I very much enjoy acoustic music specialy Guitar, Cello, violin and piano. If the decay is to fast I found that sound in the Bass spectrum sound all to similar to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back