New Beyer DT1350
May 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #272 of 4,010
** Quick Impression after 24 hours burn-in**

Using the DT1350 at the office with the following chain [Foobar-DS <-> Flac-ALAC-24Bits <-> Centrance Dacport]

I'm currently listening to Phase I from  Porcupine Tree Voyage 34 The complete Trip album and the song was missing something. I took my Ortofon e-Q5 out and rewind the song. WoW! that more like it. That song have a very good kick drum line starting at about 2 min in the song with a the Bass line too and it's very spacious and airy with the e-Q5. You can almost feel the drum & Bass. Put the DT1350 back and rewind the song.  The Kick drum and Bass line (for the lack of better term, English is not my first language sorry) are present but the impact is not as good and the decay not as long on the Beyer. Hopefully that will get better with more burn in time. I remember the T50p changing for good after about 125 hours.

That's it for my 2 cent's on the Dt1350.  Stay tune for more

L3000.gif

May 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #273 of 4,010
nice to read some impressions with music I am familiar to. please keep it up 
beerchug.gif

very interested to see how they behave with metal too, I like my metal with a nice tight strong punch, not a bass heavy headphone, just tight and precise.

May 13, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #274 of 4,010
The graph on innerfidelity suggests they are pretty flat more or less up to 1k where they roll off to a dip of about 17db (eta - 17db) at 7k then up again for 10k... oddly similar to how I remember the LCD2 graphs I have seen look, although descriptions of their sounds are worlds apart. Always hard to know how accurate these graphs are, especially with headphones specifically known to change their sound hugely with precise positioning...

May 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #275 of 4,010
The graph on innerfidelity suggests they are pretty flat more or less up to 1k where they roll off to a dip of about 17db at 7k then up again for 10k... oddly similar to how I remember the LCD2 graphs I have seen look, although descriptions of their sounds are worlds apart. Always hard to know how accurate these graphs are, especially with headphones specifically known to change their sound hugely with precise positioning...

The 1350 sounds dark or recessed in the brightness area where you see the dip and its very prominent in the sound just like what I hear people say about the LCD2.

May 13, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #276 of 4,010
The LCD-2 are definitely dark, I agree with that. I didn't get a sense of the 1350 being dark from any of the comments made so far which seemed to suggest a more neutral, balanced sound. Can someone who's heard both comment? Do they actually have a similar frequency response?

May 13, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #277 of 4,010
The LCD-2 are definitely dark, I agree with that. I didn't get a sense of the 1350 being dark from any of the comments made so far which seemed to suggest a more neutral, balanced sound. Can someone who's heard both comment? Do they actually have a similar frequency response?

I know some people who have a headphone group who are going to be evaluating the 1350 next week and I will try to relay or link to that info when they have it ready.

May 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #278 of 4,010
I have not heard the LCD-2 but I can say that the DT1350 do not sound dark to my ears. They don't have the high of DT-990 but they do extend pretty well. I would say that they are very neutral so far. My first impression let me craving for more details in the bass but they only have 24 hours of burning and about 6 hours of listening time. They are more balance compare to the T50p ( based on memory because they are gone now) but I have good hope for a more layered bass with good control based in my experience with the T50p. It's a lot easier to find the sweet spot compare to T50p.

May 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #279 of 4,010
I have not heard the LCD-2 but I can say that the DT1350 do not sound dark to my ears. They don't have the high of DT-990 but they do extend pretty well. I would say that they are very neutral so far. My first impression let me craving for more details in the bass but they only have 24 hours of burning and about 6 hours of listening time. They are more balance compare to the T50p ( based on memory because they are gone now) but I have good hope for a more layered bass with good control based in my experience with the T50p. It's a lot easier to find the sweet spot compare to T50p.

It isn't just the measurement at Innerfidelity that has a big dip in the 3 to 7 khz area or there about its what I heard also. Maybe it isnt fair to compare to the Sennheiser 800 but just for balance sake either the 1350 has a big suckout in that area or the 800 is boosted bright in that area (not likely).

May 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #281 of 4,010

Quote:
Quote:
The graph on innerfidelity suggests they are pretty flat more or less up to 1k where they roll off to a dip of about 17db at 7k then up again for 10k... oddly similar to how I remember the LCD2 graphs I have seen look, although descriptions of their sounds are worlds apart. Always hard to know how accurate these graphs are, especially with headphones specifically known to change their sound hugely with precise positioning...

The 1350 sounds dark or recessed in the brightness area where you see the dip and its very prominent in the sound just like what I hear people say about the LCD2.

Wow, I don't really find them dark...  Actually the reverse, a bit bright, but not sparkly or sibilant, a bit thin on bass impact, but decent definition.  I like them a bunch for what I use them for.  We sure all hear differently, don't we!  An interesting side note, I've played with EQu on the touch with the 1350's.  I haven't found an EQ setting other than flat that I like with these.  Anyone else play with equalization with these?

May 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #282 of 4,010
I have read the review and the graph on the Innerfidelity but you know based on my experience I do not rely on graph but trush my ear and so far it's been good to me. Make yourself a favor and try to get some listening time with the DT1350 to make your own opinion. The innerfidelity compare the DT1350 to the HD-800 and DT48. I never have the pleasure the listen to any of these two headphone but I know they are not aimed at the same audience but I agree that any headphones should be allowed to be compared to any other headphones. It's up to us listeners to make enough sense to make a decision based on our personal requirements and preferences. At the end headphones have the same unique goal, play music. :D

May 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #283 of 4,010
I have read the review and the graph on the Innerfidelity but you know based on my experience I do not rely on graph but trush my ear and so far it's been good to me. Make yourself a favor and try to get some listening time with the DT1350 to make your own opinion. The innerfidelity compare the DT1350 to the HD-800 and DT48. I never have the pleasure the listen to any of these two headphone but I know they are not aimed at the same audience but I agree that any headphones should be allowed to be compared to any other headphones. It's up to us listeners to make enough sense to make a decision based on our personal requirements and preferences. At the end headphones have the same unique goal, play music. :D

I have done those comparisons over a 3 day period and feel quite confident that the DT1350 has a serious lack of output in the range of 3 to 7 or 8 khz. But if you have really good hearing sensitivity in that area then you might be good with them. I did feel that the sound was very smooth but its hard to judge smooth when the output is so far down. I am guessing if the output in that range were more like the HD800 then people would quit buying all the other Beyerdynamic more expensive headphones due to the 1350 killing all those sales. Not saying they do this sound on purpose for that reason but think about it. The 1350 I think has the best bass I ever heard and if you could match that with a decent mid to high sound (not the very best but decent still) then it would be the killer in the 3 hundred dollar class.

May 14, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #285 of 4,010

Quote:
Quote:
I have read the review and the graph on the Innerfidelity but you know based on my experience I do not rely on graph but trush my ear and so far it's been good to me. Make yourself a favor and try to get some listening time with the DT1350 to make your own opinion. The innerfidelity compare the DT1350 to the HD-800 and DT48. I never have the pleasure the listen to any of these two headphone but I know they are not aimed at the same audience but I agree that any headphones should be allowed to be compared to any other headphones. It's up to us listeners to make enough sense to make a decision based on our personal requirements and preferences. At the end headphones have the same unique goal, play music.
biggrin.gif

I have done those comparisons over a 3 day period and feel quite confident that the DT1350 has a serious lack of output in the range of 3 to 7 or 8 khz. But if you have really good hearing sensitivity in that area then you might be good with them. I did feel that the sound was very smooth but its hard to judge smooth when the output is so far down. I am guessing if the output in that range were more like the HD800 then people would quit buying all the other Beyerdynamic more expensive headphones due to the 1350 killing all those sales. Not saying they do this sound on purpose for that reason but think about it. The 1350 I think has the best bass I ever heard and if you could match that with a decent mid to high sound (not the very best but decent still) then it would be the killer in the 3 hundred dollar class.

That flat line then gradual slope downward at 1k is common to the LCD-2 and SR-007, both extremely popular high end headphones.

Conversely, I've been in a room with 40 people and about 5 of them liked the HD800, the rest vocally hating them. And these were headfier types who have an appreciation for fidelity and HF (my favourite headphones are Lambdas and I though the HD800 were awful).

If we're talking about aiming a headphone at the broader public, with a $300 price tag, then a smoother sound with rolled off treble is a wise choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back