New Beyer DT1350
Apr 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #91 of 4,010

Quote:
How bizarre! When I had the T50 for a short while, once I got then pressed properly into place on my ears, they had some of the biggest bass I'd heard in a portable headphone. I mean, it was just huge, deep bass. So for Beyer to have backed off to almost a 'bass-light' phone is pretty weird. That would rule them out for me.   

Maybe they tuned it the way they did with T5p?

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #92 of 4,010
A balanced sound, eh?
Nice.  How's the imaging?  Speed?

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #93 of 4,010
Well I thought the T50p bass was a little overpowering, so I'm glad Beyer decided to make the DT 1350 flatter.

However, I'd enjoy a little more kick down low : the T50p bass was proeminent but IMHO the entire spectrum had that sort of electrostatic feel of very little impact.

Anyway I'll join the lot of future buyers anyway. I was actually going to repurchase a pair of T50p (after my first one was defective) when they announced the DT 1350 which are likely to correct almost everything I disliked about the T50p.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #94 of 4,010

Quote:
Got DT1350s today and have put them on my head for an hour or so. Build quality is better than HD 25-1 II IMO.

First impression is that they are bass light phones and deserve an amp. Bass is there, but I believe it may not be enough for someone. Treble and mids are great. Sound stage is not as wide as other phones I have when DT1350s were plugged into Sony A845. They may be improved after burn-in.

If you have the impression that they are bass light you are not wearing them correctly (or, in the worst case, are incompatible).
They absolutely need the correct fit. More then any other headphone I have ever listened to (which are a lot as I review for a German forum and get press samples on a regular basis).

They aren't bass shy. Well, they are, if I wear them like a normal headphone. Like a PX100 or something equivalent.
But when I have found the position which I would call "100%" on my head the bass was overpowered. At "80%" it had a well balanced, slightly warm sound. Overall just great sounding.

Split the headband, even up to 90° if you have to. Move the headband forward. The front part almost rests on my forehead when I find the "sweet spot".
Experiment with the earcup height adjustment. I have to slide them up by two clicks when I wear them with the headband split compared to not split (like with a PX100).
Use the "hum method". When your voice resonates the most while humming you have found the sweet spot. At this point the isolation is maxed and sound quality improves greatly.

Just try it out. Fiddle with it. It's worth it.

This of course also applies to everybody else.
Keep in mind that positioning is extremely important.

m00h

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #95 of 4,010
Also, if my experience with the T50p is relevant, do not hesitate to bend the headband to increase pressure on your ears. It will improve isolation and fit by a decent margin.

The steel they use is highly flexible so for any clamping improvement to be felt you really have to bend it quite strongly.

It will make them less bass shy if you think they are.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #96 of 4,010
m00hk00h-
That kind of fiddly nature is exactly what I experienced with the T50p, and it rendered them unusable for me unfortunately. I hope the dt-1350s are a bit less so at least!

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #97 of 4,010
Well I didn`t have any trouble using them. I found the sweet spot within seconds and the very tight and secure fit ensures that the headphone stay exactly there. I used them as a monitor for drumming just out of curiosity. No problem at at.

The thing with the T50 was that it didn't have the splittable head band. The DT1350 also has a whole lot more pressure force out of the box.

m00h

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #98 of 4,010
Sounds like that should help. The T50p's were too loose for my head, and I had to physically hold them in place to extract the full measure of their sound. When I'd let go, poof, it would be gone and back to a lifeless flat presentation. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #99 of 4,010
Geez, now you guys almost make them sound like they are IEMs, lol!

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #100 of 4,010

Quote:
If you have the impression that they are bass light you are not wearing them correctly (or, in the worst case, are incompatible).
They absolutely need the correct fit. More then any other headphone I have ever listened to (which are a lot as I review for a German forum and get press samples on a regular basis).

I did not mean that they are bass light. For me, DT1350s are doing the right thing. I agree that DT1350s are not bass shy but still don't think the quantity of bass is as much as D7000s or LCD-2s.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #101 of 4,010
Well they are here!

Currently listening to Massive Attack's Mezzanine album, they aren't "bass light" they are more like bass controlled if you know what I mean...

As for sound quality well they certainly blow my Hifiman RE0's out of the water for balance, there is slightly more detail in the finer parts of productions, but I wouldn't say the soundstage is wider, also as with any kind of closed back system they have that slightly boxed in sound, only slightly though.

Another thing with the sound of these headphones is that they never sound strained, for instance listening to Peter Gabriel's So album, the vocals on Red Rain are always under control and never sound distorted or strained, on other systems you can hear them give on this track.

The build quality is superb as to be expected for a headphone of this cost, just got to try and experiment with the positioning of them now to find this "sweet spot" mentioned in posts above, I bet I struggle with my odd shaped head!

;-D

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #102 of 4,010

Quote:
Well they are here!

Currently listening to Massive Attack's Mezzanine album, they aren't "bass light" they are more like bass controlled if you know what I mean...

As for sound quality well they certainly blow my Hifiman RE0's out of the water for balance, there is slightly more detail in the finer parts of productions, but I wouldn't say the soundstage is wider, also as with any kind of closed back system they have that slightly boxed in sound, only slightly though.

Another thing with the sound of these headphones is that they never sound strained, for instance listening to Peter Gabriel's So album, the vocals on Red Rain are always under control and never sound distorted or strained, on other systems you can hear them give on this track.

The build quality is superb as to be expected for a headphone of this cost, just got to try and experiment with the positioning of them now to find this "sweet spot" mentioned in posts above, I bet I struggle with my odd shaped head!

;-D

I must say this is a good thread on these headphones, because it is not hyped nor biased. That is why I might try them. Beyerdynamic really seem to take critics serious on the T50P.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #105 of 4,010
Soo tempted
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back