New Beyer DT1350
Jun 30, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #631 of 4,010

Quote:
Hey RAFA,

you could check out this shop: http://www.musik-service.de/

Me and some others from Hifi-Forum got ours there for only 179 € plus shipping. With a little negotiating there should still be 225 € plus shipping possible. 
wink_face.gif

wow that is crazy, lets try it out :D

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #632 of 4,010
Thinking of getting this but I'm concerned about a couple of things:

How comfortable is it for people with large heads?
Difference amped. vs. unamped?

If I get it, I promise that beyerdynamic headphones for both home and portable is a coincidence!

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #633 of 4,010

Quote:

If I get it, I promise that beyerdynamic headphones for both home and portable is a coincidence!

My head is definitely larger than average, and I find the DT 1350 to be comfortable for an on-ear headphone.  It does grip firmly, as I said in the video, and, being a supra-aural (on-ear), you won't find it as comfortable for long-term wear as most circumaural (around-the-ear) headphones.

As for amping:  In the video, I mentioned it can be used unamped.  But it scales impressively with good amping, too.

The DT 1350 has been a near constant companion since it arrived.  I love it.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #634 of 4,010
I compared it to vintage DT880/600 and Grado RS1. Even there are many differences (fullsize vs small, open vs closed) and those models have their advantages I found DT1350 very very good. sounding. They DO benefit from greater amp though. For portable I would use it with something with warmer sound signature. i also find it very comfortable - even more than RS1. Pads are very soft and after some time, when I get used to such small cans everything is OK. Im not very sensitive for such things though.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #635 of 4,010
I found them more comfortable now that I have been using them daily for a while now. Maybe it's just me getting use to the firm grip but I don't get the small headache I use to have at the beginning. I also received my HD25i-II and they also have a tight grip. More so then the Beyer. So far I still prefer the DT1350 sound quality. I have hard time getting use to the narrow soundstage of the Sennheiser and the Bass is more like a one note thumping to me. And this is connected to my HDP or MAD Ear+ HD Purist tube amplifiers.

So far the HD25i-II have not convince me to keep them.  The DT1350 are Keepers for sure.  
beyersmile.png

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #636 of 4,010
Quote:

They've strayed pretty far from the usual Beyer "house sound" so they may not be exactly what you're looking for since you love your 880s.  They aren't as bright and have more natural mids than any other Beyer I've heard.  I like them better than the 770, 880, 990, T50p, and T1.  I haven't heard the T5p or T70/T70p yet though.

I have a 7 3/4 hat size and I don't find them any more uncomfortable than any other supra aural 'phones I've tried, though I haven't actually tried a whole lot.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #637 of 4,010
I found them more comfortable now that I have been using them daily for a while now. Maybe it's just me getting use to the firm grip but I don't get the small headache I use to have at the beginning. I also received my HD25i-II and they also have a tight grip. More so then the Beyer. So far I still prefer the DT1350 sound quality. I have hard time getting use to the narrow soundstage of the Sennheiser and the Bass is more like a one note thumping to me. And this is connected to my HDP or MAD Ear+ HD Purist tube amplifiers.

So far the HD25i-II have not convince me to keep them.  The DT1350 are Keepers for sure.  
beyersmile.png

Sounds familiar! This was my experience, save for the tube amp part.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #638 of 4,010

Quote:
Sounds familiar! This was my experience, save for the tube amp part.

Im gonna be making a similar comparison soon, but TBH I doubt my HD25 can be beaten 
tongue_smile.gif

seriously, mini3+HD25, is perfect, specially in the bass section, and Ive read the DT1350 is bassier, not sure if i want that, does it have more or less "punch" than the HD25?

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #639 of 4,010

Quote:
They've strayed pretty far from the usual Beyer "house sound" so they may not be exactly what you're looking for since you love your 880s.  They aren't as bright and have more natural mids than any other Beyer I've heard.  I like them better than the 770, 880, 990, T50p, and T1.  I haven't heard the T5p or T70/T70p yet though.

I have a 7 3/4 hat size and I don't find them any more uncomfortable than any other supra aural 'phones I've tried, though I haven't actually tried a whole lot.

Are you saying the DT1350 has more natural mids than the T1?

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #640 of 4,010
Quote:
Are you saying the DT1350 has more natural mids than the T1?

Better than T1s I've heard.  They all had a very metallic timbre.  Even if they were the same price I'd take the 1350 over the T1s I've heard in the past.  Those T1s cream the 1350s in soundstaging and imaging but I don't care about any of that if the tone isn't right.  Its not necessarily that the 1350's mids are so great, its just that the mids on the T1s I've heard along with Beyers in general aren't very good.  I was about to swear off ever buying another Beyer till I saw the 1350's measurements and jumped on them.  They sounded pretty much like I expected them too.

That said, it was mentioned in another thread there seem to be different versions of the T1s going around and I've never heard the version that's supposed to have warm mids.  If you've got the version with warm mids then I comment on how the the 1350s compare.  There were lots of T1s at CanJam last year though and I head them on probably almost half a dozen different set ups and they all had the same cold, metallic midrange so its definitely an issue with the headphones.  There are two T1s on Innerfidelity that measure very differently so there just may be something to this.  It doesn't speak very well for Beyer's QC though...

Quote:
Im gonna be making a similar comparison soon, but TBH I doubt my HD25 can be beaten 
tongue_smile.gif

seriously, mini3+HD25, is perfect, specially in the bass section, and Ive read the DT1350 is bassier, not sure if i want that, does it have more or less "punch" than the HD25?

Never head the the HD25, but from the graphs I'd just say the 1350 goes deeper.  Its very natural and not over emphasized at all but it goes deep enough to still satisfy a mild basshead like me with anything but EDM or trance.  From the square waves I'd say the 1350 has less "punch" since that usually seems to go along with a lot of overshoot and/or ringing on the LF square waves which the HD25 has a bit of and the 1350 has pretty much none.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #641 of 4,010

Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

The DT1350's are less punchy to me, not as bassy as far as volume, but better articulation.  The bass has opened up as they have broken in, I've gotten used to them, and I've figured out the fit.  They are a bit fiddly at first until you get used to them.

Compared to the HD25, it isn't that one is better than the other, They are both excellent.  It boils down to preference.  I liked the DT1350 better.  The guy that got my HD25's didn't, but is very happy that I did!

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #642 of 4,010

Quote:
Quote:

Better than T1s I've heard.  They all had a very metallic timbre.  Even if they were the same price I'd take the 1350 over the T1s I've heard in the past.  Those T1s cream the 1350s in soundstaging and imaging but I don't care about any of that if the tone isn't right.  Its not necessarily that the 1350's mids are so great, its just that the mids on the T1s I've heard along with Beyers in general aren't very good.  I was about to swear off ever buying another Beyer till I saw the 1350's measurements and jumped on them.  They sounded pretty much like I expected them too.

That said, it was mentioned in another thread there seem to be different versions of the T1s going around and I've never heard the version that's supposed to have warm mids.  If you've got the version with warm mids then I comment on how the the 1350s compare.  There were lots of T1s at CanJam last year though and I head them on probably almost half a dozen different set ups and they all had the same cold, metallic midrange so its definitely an issue with the headphones.  There are two T1s on Innerfidelity that measure very differently so there just may be something to this.  It doesn't speak very well for Beyer's QC though...

Ah yes I remember you posted about that now. I don't know what was up with the T1(s) you tried, but when did you try them? If it was earlier last year that would make sense, they supposedly had issues. Mine has the best mids I've heard in a dynamic, only slightly behind the HE500 and LCD2. Believe me, cold/sterile/metallic is exactly the kind of thing I cannot stand.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #643 of 4,010
Quote:
Ah yes I remember you posted about that now. I don't know what was up with the T1(s) you tried, but when did you try them? If it was earlier last year that would make sense, they supposedly had issues. Mine has the best mids I've heard in a dynamic, only slightly behind the HE500 and LCD2. Believe me, cold/sterile/metallic is exactly the kind of thing I cannot stand.

It was just over a year ago at CanJam '10.  I haven't heard one since.  If I hear one again, I'll probably copy down the S/N.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #644 of 4,010
I was happy to receive a reply to my questions about the new Tesla models from the designer of the Beyerdynamic T1, Gunter Weidemann (see http://www.stereophile.com/content/geek-talk-beyerdynamic-t1-designer-gunter-weidermann ) a couple of hours ago...

Q: This DT 1350 review ( http://skratchworx.com/reviews/beyer_dt1350.php ) mentions that the cable is in fact user replaceable and a coiled cable would be made available. Can you confirm that is true and if so, can you provide a time estimate for the availability?

Mr. Weidemann:  This is true, and will be available in approx. 3 months

And since T1 variance has been mentioned in this thread.........

Q: There are a number of [Head-Fi] members who have heard multiple pairs of Tesla T1 headphones (I have owned a single pair since their release) who claim that they have heard variations in the strength of the bass response between different pairs ( see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owner-s-club-appreciation-discussion-thread/570 ) and have described them as "bass light" and "bass heavy" versions (there does not appear to be a serial number cutoff between them as some have claimed hearing both versions with a low serial number). The headband was changed at some point - can you confirm whether or not the frequency response has been changed or comment on the likelihood of manufacturing variances between different pairs?

Mr. Weidemann: I have checked the discussion in the thread. Don´t worry, there is only one frequency response version of T 1, and no "bass light" and "bass heavy" versions. And no change with a certain serial number. The only change was the made in the headband.
[size=x-small]As you said, minor manufacturing variances between different pairs can occur, but all the T 1s drivers and the complete headphones as well are manufactured at the same location here in Heilbronn/Germany and have to pass a 100% check.[/size]
[size=x-small]However, when comparing measurements of different headphones recorded at different times like http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owner-s-club-appreciation-discussion-thread/630#post_7579126 , possible variations of the measurement should also be taken into account to get the full picture.[/size]

[size=small] [size=x-small]Gunter Weidemann[/size][/size]
[size=small] [size=x-small]Manager Technical Support[/size][/size]
[size=small] [size=x-small]Consumer Products[/size][/size]

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #645 of 4,010
Quote:
Q: There are a number of [Head-Fi] members who have heard multiple pairs of Tesla T1 headphones (I have owned a single pair since their release) who claim that they have heard variations in the strength of the bass response between different pairs ( see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owner-s-club-appreciation-discussion-thread/570 ) and have described them as "bass light" and "bass heavy" versions (there does not appear to be a serial number cutoff between them as some have claimed hearing both versions with a low serial number). The headband was changed at some point - can you confirm whether or not the frequency response has been changed or comment on the likelihood of manufacturing variances between different pairs?

Mr. Weidemann: I have checked the discussion in the thread. Don´t worry, there is only one frequency response version of T 1, and no "bass light" and "bass heavy" versions. And no change with a certain serial number. The only change was the made in the headband.
[size=x-small]As you said, minor manufacturing variances between different pairs can occur, but all the T 1s drivers and the complete headphones as well are manufactured at the same location here in Heilbronn/Germany and have to pass a 100% check.[/size]
[size=x-small]However, when comparing measurements of different headphones recorded at different times like http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508836/the-official-beyerdynamic-t1-owner-s-club-appreciation-discussion-thread/630#post_7579126 , possible variations of the measurement should also be taken into account to get the full picture.[/size]

Lulz... That's objectively wrong.  There are either treble heavy and treble light versions or their QC ain't very tight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back