New Beyer DT1350
Nov 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2,836 of 4,010
Quote:
I would not be surprised if he said the GR07.

GR07 = DT1350 
smile.gif

Thanks. I have some Sony XBA-3's on the way, so I'm just curious.

Note: I don't have the DT1350's (yet?), but it is obvious that they are very good. I am quite happy with my cheapo jvc s500's at the moment (probably because I haven't listened to the dt1350's yet lol!), and when I get the xba3's (which I got for a good $130 price, and which should be pretty good), the plan is to interrupt my audio-quest-purchasing-spree for a while. Then down the road when my wallet has had a chance to recover, I will un-ban myself from head-fi and get serious about some higher end phones (such as the DT1350's).

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,837 of 4,010
Quote:

Then down the road when my wallet has had a chance to recover...

Good luck with that.

Many have tried...but Head-Fi always sucks you back in.  The site's motto should be: Resistance is futile.

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2,838 of 4,010
Quote:

Good luck with that.

Many have tried...but Head-Fi always sucks you back in.  The site's motto should be: Resistance is futile.

Yes, it's not funny. When I first came to head-fi and read all of the "sorry for your wallet" jokes, I thought "man, this place is filled with people who really are out of control and have absolutely no self-control". That was before I became one of them
eek.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2,839 of 4,010
Yes, it's not funny. When I first came to head-fi and read all of the "sorry for your wallet" jokes, I thought "man, this place is filled with people who really are out of control and have absolutely no self-control". That was before I became one of them :eek:

Lol. I feel ya. Nicely stated :)

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #2,840 of 4,010
Quote:
Maybe you mentioned it there, but what IEM did you end up getting/liking?

I was actually looking at Customs rather than universals. The GR07 indeed I feel
does rather mimic the signature of the 1350 nicely it would be on my list if I had not already gone custom.., but it isn't any as revealing IMO.

I ended up gettin the heir audio 4A based off the demo
set I tried. the full custom however does sound markedly different from the demo. It has more bass.. but also better spun stage and imaging. I was a abit disappointed with the bass, but I've
got used to them and now the 1350 sounds a bit bass light...*shrug*

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2,841 of 4,010
Quote:

Yes, it's not funny. When I first came to head-fi and read all of the "sorry for your wallet" jokes, I thought "man, this place is filled with people who really are out of control and have absolutely no self-control". That was before I became one of them
eek.gif

LOL

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,842 of 4,010
Quote:
I was actually looking at Customs rather than universals. The GR07 indeed I feel
does rather mimic the signature of the 1350 nicely it would be on my list if I had not already gone custom.., but it isn't any as revealing IMO.
I ended up gettin the heir audio 4A based off the demo
set I tried. the full custom however does sound markedly different from the demo. It has more bass.. but also better spun stage and imaging. I was a abit disappointed with the bass, but I've
got used to them and now the 1350 sounds a bit bass light...*shrug*

I tried the 4Ai and it lacked the sub-bass of something like the GR07 or the DT1350.  Everything else was just insanely good...but that lack of sub-bass left me longing for the GR08.  

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #2,844 of 4,010
Quote:
My name is Retrias , I am here with less than 100 post, and I am already spending 1k dollar on audio equipment..... what am I doing?

Yes, well, it seems that price is not exactly correlated with quality. It's not even diminishing returns - tends to be more like "no return".

Fortunately, it's only a few steps to find a perfect headphone or IEM... but they're expensive. Go to some convention instead and listen to everything there is. Especially the most expensive stuff warrants a try before you buy policy - and this is quite impossible with the most expensive IEMs. Go figure.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #2,845 of 4,010
Quote:
My name is Retrias , I am here with less than 100 post, and I am already spending 1k dollar on audio equipment..... what am I doing?

You should dig out that 'Money spent on Audio : post count' thread, you will be amazed, you are not alone!

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #2,846 of 4,010
Quote:
I tried the 4Ai and it lacked the sub-bass of something like the GR07 or the DT1350.  Everything else was just insanely good...but that lack of sub-bass left me longing for the GR08.  

You should try the 4A. The bass jumps quite a bit from the 4Ai to the 4A. Of course thats due to the perfect sealing of the ear canal. For me this was a problem initially cos I prefered less bass.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2,847 of 4,010
Quote:
Yes, well, it seems that price is not exactly correlated with quality. It's not even diminishing returns - tends to be more like "no return".

Fortunately, it's only a few steps to find a perfect headphone or IEM... but they're expensive. Go to some convention instead and listen to everything there is. Especially the most expensive stuff warrants a try before you buy policy - and this is quite impossible with the most expensive IEMs. Go figure.

Yea good point, in addition another good thing to consider [espically if you can get a refund from the buyer] listen your self... your ears are the best review

also how are you enjoying the T70 Astral? 

Secondly by Febuary I'll be able to invest in my next couple of cans... for sure... 

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2,848 of 4,010
Quote:
Yea good point, in addition another good thing to consider [espically if you can get a refund from the buyer] listen your self... your ears are the best review

also how are you enjoying the T70 Astral? 

Secondly by Febuary I'll be able to invest in my next couple of cans... for sure... 

I'm enjoying them pretty well, thank you. They're a different flavor from IEMs, without eq they are far more coherent. However, there is some noticeable "sparkly" 8k ringing in the pair I have.
They're pretty neutral to my ears generally. Highest end rolloff is smooth, relatively slow and happens above 15kHz, but they're extended all the way up.
Referenced to 500 Hz, they are within 4 dB 20 Hz -15 kHz, with main disturbance around the 8kHz. These do not require equalization as it is.

The next step would be an audition of: Senn HD800 (finally, might be too hot), HifiMan HE-500. However, right now I'm trying for a better IEM, tuning and reshelling Hifiman RE272.
Armatures are not possible to tune that well and RE272 is the most extended IEM I've heard yet. (possibly headphone as well, I'm not sure vs HD 650)

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,849 of 4,010
Quote:

The next step would be an audition of: Senn HD800 (finally, might be too hot), HifiMan HE-500.

I just saw a video review where Tyll said he preferred the 500s to the Senn 800s....I was shocked by that. I've been avoiding hifiman for a while,but at some point I really want to hear this headphone. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #2,850 of 4,010
I don't remember if I've mentioned it in this thread previously, but for those of you who have the 1350s and want greater emphasis in the low end in addition to the awesome extension, pick up a ZO2. I usually use my ZO for IEMs, mainly because the ZO didn't seem to be a great match for the headphones I have....but it ROCKS with the 1350s. I've been watching some movies on my Kindle Fire this weekend with my 1350s, and I thought I'd give the ZO some attention....I'm pretty amazed at this combo. Whatever the level of bass is that you're after, you'll have it in spades with this combo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back