New Beyer DT1350
Oct 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #2,806 of 4,010
Quote:
I'm currently considering getting a portable headphone for me. There's a couple of things I wanted to know:

I read that the beyer dt1350 is very uncomfortable at first, but does the clamping force decrease over time and does it become more comfortable?

Will they be a good choice for rock and metal? I'm expecting many people to recommend the HD-25, but I'm afraid it won't be as refined as I want it to be. I used to own an M50, and it just sounded like a cheap headphone to me, it didn't have that "Hi-Fi" sound, and people say the HD-25 is even less refined. I'm looking for a headphone with clarity, details, and a refined sound, but I also want it to be engaging and fun. Since the DT1350 are known to have more clarity, do you guys think they will be Hi-Fi enough for me, or is that only achieved with full-sized headphones?

Thanks

It decreases a teeny bit, but the elastic metal is fairly bendable to your needs. Considering that my brother managed to reshape my DT1350's in the one day he had them to his oddly shaped head, you can adjust it to your comfort level to some degree.

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #2,807 of 4,010
Quote:
It decreases a teeny bit, but the elastic metal is fairly bendable to your needs. Considering that my brother managed to reshape my DT1350's in the one day he had them to his oddly shaped head, you can adjust it to your comfort level to some degree.

I'm afraid it might lose some isolation but it's better than having to take them off every hour IMO.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,809 of 4,010
Quote:
I'm currently considering getting a portable headphone for me. There's a couple of things I wanted to know:

I read that the beyer dt1350 is very uncomfortable at first, but does the clamping force decrease over time and does it become more comfortable?

Will they be a good choice for rock and metal? I'm expecting many people to recommend the HD-25, but I'm afraid it won't be as refined as I want it to be. I used to own an M50, and it just sounded like a cheap headphone to me, it didn't have that "Hi-Fi" sound, and people say the HD-25 is even less refined. I'm looking for a headphone with clarity, details, resolution, and a refined sound, but I also want it to be engaging and fun. Since the DT1350 are known to have more clarity, do you guys think they will be Hi-Fi enough for me, or is that only achieved with full-sized headphones?

Thanks

I preferred them to the HD-25 and agree with you that the M50s are one of the most overrated headphones out there.  The 1350s outclass them in every way.

I happen to enjoy them quite a bit for rock, although I can't comment on metal since I don't have any in my collection.  They may not have quite the edge on rock tracks that the HD25 has, but they're not so refined and polite that they become boring.  Also, that refinement is nice to have when I listen to folk, jazz, etc.  

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #2,810 of 4,010
Quote:

Will they be a good choice for rock and metal? I'm expecting many people to recommend the HD-25, but I'm afraid it won't be as refined as I want it to be. I used to own an M50, and it just sounded like a cheap headphone to me, it didn't have that "Hi-Fi" sound, and people say the HD-25 is even less refined. I'm looking for a headphone with clarity, details, resolution, and a refined sound, but I also want it to be engaging and fun. Since the DT1350 are known to have more clarity, do you guys think they will be Hi-Fi enough for me, or is that only achieved with full-sized headphones?

Thanks

They're good with metal you'll hear the guitars sound very clean and with a slightly emphasized "awwe" sound that sounds like comming from a tube amp a bit. It's really cool. And the bass is very fast, you won't miss any bass stroke on those death metal songs. I listen to brutal death metal bands like The Faceless, Necrophagist, Aborted and so on, these are really good for metal due to the "slightly" emphasized guitar sound and the very low but very fast bass. You'll just have to have the perfect seal and these would be Hi-Fi enough for you.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,811 of 4,010
Quote:

Thanks

I've heard a lot of great comments about the HD-25s. I'm not sure the Amperiors are living up to expectations, but that might be another great choice for you. I can't make a direct comparison since I haven't heard the Senns, but the 1350s are really solid headphones. The clamp does decrease slightly over time, but as others said, you can make an adjustment to the headband by gently stretching it a bit, as well. The low end is the best part of these headphones, IMO. Those who want massive amounts of bass, quality be damned, probably should look elsewhere. But if you want clean, tight, deep bass, you're likely not going to find it in another portable near this price point. I have a couple of higher end headphones here, namely the T1s and a couple of higher end Grados (and I guess some may consider the AKG Q701s higher end, but I don't agree with that assessment), and the 1350s hold up very well in terms of their overall performance. They will sound great out of your iPhone or whatever, and that's how I use them 90% of the time due to convenience....but if you give them a nicer quality amp to play with, you'll likely find there are even more gains to be had. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2,812 of 4,010
Quote:

Will they be a good choice for rock and metal? I'm expecting many people to recommend the HD-25, but I'm afraid it won't be as refined as I want it to be. I used to own an M50, and it just sounded like a cheap headphone to me, it didn't have that "Hi-Fi" sound, and people say the HD-25 is even less refined.

People who say that about the HD25 DON'T know what they are talking about.

I have both the HD25 and the DT1350 and I would say that they are just about equal in SQ.  They do have different signatures - HD25 = more mid-bass...DT1350 = more sub-bass.   Both these models, and the PX100 (I have not heard the Amperion), IMO, are the best portables you can buy.  

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2,815 of 4,010
Quote:

Yeah, it's all new to me as well lol.

This was one of my first introductions to dubstep (you have to sign up to soundcloud, but it's effortless):

http://soundcloud.com/dubstep-4/dubstep-cosmic-dreams

At around the 1:09 mark, the bass gets pretty intense - "wicked drops" etc lol.

Doc: if you have the time, inclination and bravery to do so, let me know how that stretch compares on the almighty 1350's versus the S500's.
Warning: Enya it ain't!
evil_smiley.gif

Finally got a chance to listen to this with the 1350s...that was pretty awesome...I loved the part you mentioned at 1:09, and then there was also a really cool effect at about 3:00...will try it with the ZO2 tomorrow for fun :)  

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #2,816 of 4,010
Quote:
People who say that about the HD25 DON'T know what they are talking about.

I have both the HD25 and the DT1350 and I would say that they are just about equal in SQ.  They do have different signatures - HD25 = more mid-bass...DT1350 = more sub-bass.   Both these models, and the PX100 (I have not heard the Amperion), IMO, are the best portables you can buy.  

PX100 / PX100-II requires heavy equalization to sound "okay". It just sound trash with no EQ. Bloated midbass, clarity sucks, grainy rolled-off highs. Don't get me wrong I'm not fond of EQ-ing, and PX100-II / GR06 are the only phones I do EQ. I prefer the PX200-II over the PX100. :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #2,817 of 4,010
Quote:

Finally got a chance to listen to this with the 1350s...that was pretty awesome...I loved the part you mentioned at 1:09, and then there was also a really cool effect at about 3:00...will try it with the ZO2 tomorrow for fun :)  

Ha! Cool that you checked it out. That one was a bit wild (at least for this 48 year old lol!). The below one is actually pretty good, and even has hints of the "Autumn leaves" sound further along. It's 74 minutes long, but I've been enjoying it quite a bit as a background auditory adventure (mind you I like King Crimson, so anything goes lol!) :)
http:sorry-link removed

Edit: well, the first 30 minutes or so were really good. After that it's starting to get a bit annoying lol. Anyway, if you check out some of the other "dubstep" songs in soundcloud, I think that you will find some of them to be quite intriguing.

Edit2: well, it got verbally offensive near the end, so I removed the link. Too bad they didn't stop it at the 30 minute mark.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #2,818 of 4,010
Thanks to everyone.

I might compare both the HD-25 and the DT1350, but I might not have the chance to do that. I'm leaning towards the DT1350 though, I'm not a basshead so I don't really want a bo0oming bass, just a tight and clean bass which is there. I don't want it to be basslight to the point that it sounds analytical though.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #2,819 of 4,010
In my honest (audiophile biased) opinion there is no other option in the 300 range but the Seins. Tyll's review is ridiculous in my opinion and not based in any reality but his even though it is favorable. These are the best there is in this category imo.

For all his honesty I don't think he even did back to back and neither did he confirm his pair was good, or rather his seal was, in the scope of things. His review is as good as any other with absolutely no REAL details imo on how these sound. You have to really get into headphones. With all do respect his reviews come across as propaganda to me. Without at least 40 hours into any pair you are treading some weird ground imo. How does my mini-Ferrari feel after 60 miles?

I don't ****ing know yet. :)

These are ****ing amazing after 500 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back