New Beyer DT1350
Jun 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,711 of 4,010
Quote:
I am just throwing this here, hopefully someone can answer my question:

Would a replacement headband for the DTxx0 series fit around the headbands of the dt1350? I am thinking of wrapping it around, as I am not really a fan of the dual-headband and the slim foam padding at the top is not as comfortable as i would like. 

It's probably wide enough to fit.  I've owned all the necessary parts, but never at the same time, so I've never tried it.

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,712 of 4,010
Quote:

It's probably wide enough to fit.  I've owned all the necessary parts, but never at the same time, so I've never tried it.

Hmm. It seems promising. I've only held the DTxx0 series in stores (without my dt1350 with me) so I haven't really compared, but I am hopeful. 

I probably would try it next time I drop by  Jaben, especially since I have to replace the pleather pads soon. My pads are actually weird, they came out of the box slightly deformed in the right side.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,713 of 4,010
It is a great idea and would probably look good too. If it works please posts some pictures of how the headband fits. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #1,715 of 4,010
Purrin has now measured 3 pairs of DT1350 and just posted their various frequency response differences in one graphic.  It's more evidence that there are wild variations in the response of these headphones. 

It doesn't mean that any one of you have a flat out "bad" unit.  But it does make you wonder what the DT1350 is supposed to sound like, since they seem to wind up sounding every which way.  It means that if you don't like them at first, you may want to try another pair.  Or a few more pairs.  The DT1350 seems to be like a box of chocolates....  except they don't come in boxes of 12 units for you to find your favorite flavor. 

And it means that if you disagree with someone about the way the DT1350 sounds, there is a good chance you are both correct, and just listening to different headphones. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,716 of 4,010
That's 3 out of 3. Don't worry. I'm sure everyone else has the good ones. As I've said, I'm a magnet for headphones which didn't pass the QC process.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #1,719 of 4,010
That is really scary. I wonder what's happening at Beyer. I've followed your threads in the other forum and this one with the CSD plots. I do think this is with their tesla driver seires though. If this is really widespread, because the odds of scoring a 3/3 is really low if the probability of letting QC failures slip, maybe lots of angry letters might push Beyer to step up? 

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,721 of 4,010
Quote:
Purrin has now measured 3 pairs of DT1350 and just posted their various frequency response differences in one graphic.  It's more evidence that there are wild variations in the response of these headphones. 

It doesn't mean that any one of you have a flat out "bad" unit.  But it does make you wonder what the DT1350 is supposed to sound like, since they seem to wind up sounding every which way.  It means that if you don't like them at first, you may want to try another pair.  Or a few more pairs.  The DT1350 seems to be like a box of chocolates....  except they don't come in boxes of 12 units for you to find your favorite flavor. 

And it means that if you disagree with someone about the way the DT1350 sounds, there is a good chance you are both correct, and just listening to different headphones. 

Oh let it burn in first so things would get better. 
biggrin.gif
 But seriously, that is wild! I have heard two pairs and one has seriously metallic highs. The other one though sounds close to flat but very involving. Hmm, I guess I had to be careful of Beyer now. Not buying Beyers anymore unless I can listen to them first, but I don't think the DTxx0s have QC issues. I have heard a few pairs and they all sound the same.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,722 of 4,010

That.is.shocking.

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,724 of 4,010
Quote:
I think we all agree on next to no difference at moderate levels. Who really cares about those levels when you are testing a headphone or want to listen to the music as it is at a concert?
You seem like you might want to step up. I would if I were you because the bass difference from first an ipod then to a custom Bloat with high-end parts to my Denon 2112ci was beyond enormous for these headphones versus my low ohm Etymotics which almost saw zero increase in bass. I almost think my Bloat is dying or something but it cannot push these like it should because it is a pocket style high-end amp and nothing more.
The Denon 2112ci rolls these things into the ground to the point a kick drum reminds me slightly of an underpowered but fabulous sounding 8 inch subwoofer. I don't know what to say but there is a huge difference between little portable amps amps and real amplifiers. I don't get how people think they can drive 80 ohm phones with a tiny portable amp and get the bass for the highest rated output. You cannot unless that portable is really packing some punch and some dollars imo. But it's all what you need and want. If you are on the run that is what you need. But these function as at home phones just as well.
These are quoted for 129dB and they mostly deliver. An ipod is like feeding these guys steaks through a pinhole. I know what is being talked about is not an ipod but it still isn't what I would call adequate. Nothing but numbers and graphs is going to convince so try something out or listen at normal volumes and be happy. I think once you start pushing that 129dB figure you need a more capable amp.
I am still amazed by these things. It makes all prior purchases in price range seem ridiculous although I still enjoy my Ety's for comfort. Also, I mostly only notice treble problems with hot and compressed music.
And if you want to try and test out some major kick drum bass how about you put on something like the song Spaceship Landing from Kyuss. My god these things can pretty much rattle my teeth lol. That kind of slam should not be coming out of such small speakers. I usually have to creep up in the volume as I am afraid suddenly they will blow--the bass has THAT much presence--but it remains distortion free within limits.
Again, if an ipod got anywhere near that SPL with low frequencies I would be the first to admit it. My Bloat with exceptional caps and DACs and all the other stuff cannot even get close to the Denon. Not even close. The Denon wants better speakers.
You need power for bass. Tiny pocket portable amp does not equal power. End of story. You can say everything sounds the same until your ears turn blue but the main reason people spend big bucks on audio is louder, more control, and more realism. None of those things are solved with a worse, cheaper, and lesser amp PERIOD! The difference in being able to push an 80 ohm pair of headphones and a pair of 30 ohm phones to max is huge with smaller amps.

Well, the term 'moderate levels' goes from basically whisper levels to over 90dB, levels which are sure to cause hearing damage after a time, so I think that 90dB should be taken as a standard. If you are going to pump farther than that, you will get permanent hearing damage in just a few minutes, and of course, you will probably need an amp with enough current to sustain such signals without phase errors on the DT1350. There are a number of amps that can do that perfectly from less than 100$ to more than 100$, to 5000$. Take you pick.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,725 of 4,010
Is there any way you can test a brand new pair Purrin. I will say I have tested mono recordings extensively and I cannot hear a damn difference in the channels. But I am not sure about the bass at times and because of how you wear things. I am pretty sure mine sound like the first pair. A 3dB difference in channels LOL is NOT HARD to identify on MONO recordings if anybody wants to know for sure if it is that bad then you can definitely do a self-test use one of the Beatles Remasters. If something is that far off on one channel I can simply put the other channel 3dB down and and will know at some point if something is wrong. Your graphs are the reason I special ordered these in hopes of getting a pair without those issues. My number is 14883.

Are you TOTALLY positive that there is next to zero room for error in your tests?

I will say again that no matter what these tests are saying there is nothing in the 300 dollar range, besides one or two, that I think remotely goes up against these when amped properly. Music like Alice in Chains Unplugged takes me to the concert space like no other. I will not even touch my Ety's anymore for music. I don't know but that last pair is beyond ridiculous and can you hear that when you listen to that pair? I would hope so LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back