New Beyer DT1350
May 31, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #1,681 of 4,010
I'm not worried that I'll destroy it for removing the pads. I'm worried that I might damage it if I accidentally pressed in the center of the headphones. Is it plastic? The material that's just under the pads. I can't find any pic of it on the net without the pads on. :/

May 31, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #1,682 of 4,010
Quote:
I'm not worried that I'll destroy it for removing the pads. I'm worried that I might damage it if I accidentally pressed in the center of the headphones. Is it plastic? The material that's just under the pads. I can't find any pic of it on the net without the pads on. :/

I do not think you can destroy it. I have disassembled a T50p and the driver is protected behind hard plastic. So do not worry when removing the pads is all you do. 

May 31, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,683 of 4,010
Quote:
I do not think you can destroy it. I have disassembled a T50p and the driver is protected behind hard plastic. So do not worry when removing the pads is all you do. 

Thank you. :)

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #1,684 of 4,010
I might have to actually send these in to get the left speaker attachment tightened as it doesn't want to grip the second rung very well which sucks total ******* balls.

Loving the sound mostly. Still feel like mine are the tiniest bit imbalanced in the bass. I use no EQ for most and a slight EQ on the treble for some music and I am quite happy with them besides the comfort factor. As long you don't expect them to be 1000 dollar phones I think they are great. Still have that weird treble at times.

I think I will be buying full sized cans at some point, though.

Also, after going back to back with my Etymotics LOFL this thing makes them sound like true pieces of **** that should be sold for a hundred bucks. Not even kidding and there is really no debate. The Ety's sound like a muffled box compared to these. Sad that I have to send them back already but whatever.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,685 of 4,010
So has no one done a comparison between the Amperiors and the DT1350's yet?  I just searched through about 25 pages of people saying they wanted comparisons, but none were ever made.

I'm still using the DT1350's and love them for portable use.  I did some calculations based on "another previous members" blog article.  These are calculations for using the DT1350's with the SanDisk Sansa Clip+, which I now use as my portable player and it sounds excellent with the DT1350's unamped, and here's why...

DT1350's have a nominal impedance of 80 ohms and 109 db-SPL @ 1mW (often written 109dB, or 109 db/mW)

The Sansa Clip+ has a power output of roughly 15mW into a 16 ohm load.  That would be 3mW into an 80 ohm load (DT1350's). This is already good news knowing that we can achieve 109 db-SPL with only 1mW. 

The maximum output of the DT1350's from the Sansa Clip+ is:

dBSPL = Sensitivity in dB/mW + 10 * LOG ( Pmax in mW)
           = 109 + 10 * LOG(3)
           = 119.9 db-SPL

That's great news, these things can rock out. 

To calculate the power consumed by the DT1350's to drive them to a "comfortable" 105 dB...

Power in mW = Antilog ( ( Desired SPL - SPL at 1 mW ) / 10 )
                    = Antilog ( (105 - 109) / 10 )
                    = 0.398 mW.

At max output, the DT1350's can get 3mW, so 0.4mW for comfortable listening is nothing.

EDIT:  I wanted to add one more thing.  The output impedance of the Sansa Clip+ is only 1 ohm so anything 8 ohms or higher can be matched well with the Clip+, meaning any IEM can be driven from these.

The DT1350's can be driven by the Sansa Clip+ easily with no amp required.

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #1,686 of 4,010
Quote:
So has no one done a comparison between the Amperiors and the DT1350's yet?  I just searched through about 25 pages of people saying they wanted comparisons, but none were ever made.

Amperiors haven't been released for sale yet.

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,687 of 4,010

I'm still using the DT1350's and love them for portable use.  I did some calculations based on "another previous members" blog article.  These are calculations for using the DT1350's with the SanDisk Sansa Clip+, which I now use as my portable player and it sounds excellent with the DT1350's unamped, and here's why...

DT1350's have a nominal impedance of 80 ohms and 109 db-SPL @ 1mW (often written 109dB, or 109 db/mW)

The Sansa Clip+ has a power output of roughly 15mW into a 16 ohm load.  That would be 3mW into an 80 ohm load (DT1350's). This is already good news knowing that we can achieve 109 db-SPL with only 1mW. 

The maximum output of the DT1350's from the Sansa Clip+ is:

dBSPL = Sensitivity in dB/mW + 10 * LOG ( Pmax in mW)
           = 109 + 10 * LOG(3)
           = 119.9 db-SPL

That's great news, these things can rock out. 

To calculate the power consumed by the DT1350's to drive them to a "comfortable" 105 dB...

Power in mW = Antilog ( ( Desired SPL - SPL at 1 mW ) / 10 )
                    = Antilog ( (105 - 109) / 10 )
                    = 0.398 mW.

At max output, the DT1350's can get 3mW, so 0.4mW for comfortable listening is nothing.

EDIT:  I wanted to add one more thing.  The output impedance of the Sansa Clip+ is only 1 ohm so anything 8 ohms or higher can be matched well with the Clip+, meaning any IEM can be driven from these.

The DT1350's can be driven by the Sansa Clip+ easily with no amp required.

Except that efficiency ratings are about generating sound volume from a given amount of power. Making high quality music is a whole other thing. Bass control takes big reserves of power in my experience.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,688 of 4,010
Quote:
Except that efficiency ratings are about generating sound volume from a given amount of power. Making high quality music is a whole other thing. Bass control takes big reserves of power in my experience.

And in my experience, the Clip+ with the DT1350 sounds identical to the iPod Touch --> LOD --> O2 amp.

I also don't agree with your post.  Power is power, BASS CONTROL comes from DAMPING FACTOR.  Damping factor is the ratio of output impedance and load (headphone impedance).  The damping factor is 1/80 which is plenty (anything over 1/8 is good).

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,689 of 4,010
I can't comment specifically about the sound output of the clip but my experience has clearly demonstrated that external amps for portable or even big monoblocs for home make a difference. I don't want to get into arguing debating power details and dampening factors etc.

The sound difference more often is heard in the performance of the bass as this is where the larger power drains come from.

It is good that you are happy with your clip "unplugged".

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,690 of 4,010
Also, if you look one "that one blog", square wave tests confirm what I hear.  Very true to the original wave form.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #1,691 of 4,010
I haven't seen that blog but was the test tone done at 50 hz?

We are off topic. You win.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #1,695 of 4,010

Could you please quantify the power reserves required for optimal performance of the DT1350, from your experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back