New Beyer DT1350
May 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,666 of 4,010
Could someone please elaborate more on the "defective" part of DT1350s?

I picked up a pair recently, serial number: 12039

Is this a hit or miss thing or below a certain serial where these are defective.

May 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,667 of 4,010
As far as I know there is no serial number range for defective unit. Just use your DT1350 and enjoy them. If they don't sound good you'll know right away. :wink:

Just make sure you get a good fit and voila!

Could someone please elaborate more on the "defective" part of DT1350s?

I picked up a pair recently, serial number: 12039

Is this a hit or miss thing or below a certain serial where these are defective.

May 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #1,668 of 4,010
I'm still interested in the differences sonically between the two (I've searched here and google with little info). Just wondered if the defective ones really do sound that different?

May 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,669 of 4,010
Quote:
I'm still interested in the differences sonically between the two (I've searched here and google with little info). Just wondered if the defective ones really do sound that different?

There isn't a specific batch or range of serial numbers that are defective. Previous comments were based on bad QC from another Beyer model and is based on driver matching. Do they sound that different? It would differ between each set since how closely the drivers are matched is the issue being discussed. One set might be way off, while another might be only slightly. The only thing you can do is try to test with tones and sweeps to see if you hear a difference. 

The difference between early serial numbers and newer ones that people refer to is in regards to damping inside the cup. That can be searched for in this thread for more details, but again that is not in regards to a defect.

May 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,670 of 4,010
Yes it seems like it's probably something that varies with different degrees of mismatch, and not a have it/don't have it defect.  The only reason to even think about it is if you don't like what you're hearing.  It could be why.  But you could also just not like the DT1350 in general.  So if you don't like them, you might try another pair.  But otherwise I think you should just enjoy them and don't think about it. 

And again, it's not easy to hear channel imbalances or at least to identify them as such.

May 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,671 of 4,010
Quote:
And again, it's not easy to hear channel imbalances or at least to identify them as such.

Channel mismatches are something I can usually zero in right away. I've had a few IEMs go down the toilet for such issues. As well with tubes. Immediately the imaging is "off center" and validation with my SPL meter have proven my ears correct almost every time. I've done a few frequency scans with my pair of DT1350s and ears/SPL meter and they're pretty tight L and R.

May 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #1,672 of 4,010
I did the sine sweep test and it seemed pretty close from what I could tell, though I was just earing it. I'm kind OCD about that stuff but glad mine aren't flawed :p at least from a balance perspective (seem spot on). They are great backup and travel headphones.

May 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,673 of 4,010
Quote:

I've had a chance to sample 3 different 1350s. From my limited sample/experience.

Defective pair = inaccurate timbre + bloated mid-bass. Upper mids sound even more "uneven/odd" than correct pair. I think the dead giveaway is the timbre.

My 2 cents.

May 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #1,674 of 4,010
I have a slight feeling (and I could totally be wrong) but I think the placement / seal of each side is very important. I found that out the hard way a few days ago, kind of why I was asking. Once I get both sides sealed up good they do sounds pretty great, they're MUCH better then the other small headphones I have for traveling (B&W P5, Bose QC3 I was gifted, AIAIAI's - really just a bass drum headphone). I am kind of curious to try out the new Senns Amperior's (silver ones look awesome).

May 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,675 of 4,010
Quote:
I have a slight feeling (and I could totally be wrong) but I think the placement / seal of each side is very important. I found that out the hard way a few days ago, kind of why I was asking. Once I get both sides sealed up good they do sounds pretty great, they're MUCH better then the other small headphones I have for traveling (B&W P5, Bose QC3 I was gifted, AIAIAI's - really just a bass drum headphone). I am kind of curious to try out the new Senns Amperior's (silver ones look awesome).

Getting the right seal in each side is indeed very important! If you are not able to find that position then you might as well forget about the DT-1350 (and T50p for that matter).

May 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #1,676 of 4,010
Quote:

Getting the right seal in each side is indeed very important! If you are not able to find that position then you might as well forget about the DT-1350 (and T50p for that matter).

You might consider giving it a week or two in finding the right seal. The "break-in" of the earpads seems to have a factor too.

May 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #1,677 of 4,010
Quote:

You might consider giving it a week or two in finding the right seal. The "break-in" of the earpads seems to have a factor too.

I found that too. They soften quiet a bit after some use and then they are great headphones. :)

Sent from my Commodore C64 using Tapatalk

May 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,678 of 4,010
I struggled with fit first week or so.  The "Hum" test works well - hum, and when you have the headphones in the right spot, your hum sounds loudest to you.  I can now just about nail the fit even time when I slip them on.  I might have to fiddle just a little, and I find pushing on the pads lightly while i do so helps get the seal and correct position seated in quickly.  They are not a difficult fit for me any more.  I still can't get more than a couple hours out of them at a sitting, though.

May 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #1,679 of 4,010
can someone show a photo of 1350s without the pads, is the driver exposed? I wanna know what it looks like but I don't wanna remove the ear cushions on mine yet, lol. Or can someone just tell me if I will damage the driver if I press the center of the headphones with the cushion, on PX100 you won't because the driver is covered with plastic. You know what I mean sorry for bad grammar thanks!

May 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,680 of 4,010
Quote:
can someone show a photo of 1350s without the pads, is the driver exposed? I wanna know what it looks like but I don't wanna remove the ear cushions on mine yet, lol. Or can someone just tell me if I will damage the driver if I press the center of the headphones with the cushion, on PX100 you won't because the driver is covered with plastic. You know what I mean sorry for bad grammar thanks!

The driver is not exposed. Don't worry you can not destroy the driver if removing the ear pads is all you do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back