NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
Jun 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #31 of 160
I got the NFB 12.1 instead of this. I didn't need a "portable" device.

@tim below me.

Yes, as you stated 5 or 6 posts ago. What is the point of this post? Why are you here if you have no interest in the NFB-16? This isn't Twitter....

*facepalm* I forgot I did say that. Sorry. I forgot about this. I'll take my leave now. I didn't add a new post....as I didn't want to add another pointless post.Good day.

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #33 of 160
Quote:
Yes, as you stated 5 or 6 posts ago. What is the point of this post? Why are you here if you have no interest in the NFB-16? This isn't Twitter....

Well, I think because he expressed interest in this product when he was doing his original search for an amp. I have no issue with the post.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #34 of 160
im tempted to get this, just to see how it compares to my O2 and ODAC combo. Considering the NFB-16 is half the cost (without PSU) it would be interesting to see how they compaired.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #35 of 160
This thing is interesting.. I'm wondering, if it has the TE8802 and a coax out, isn't it a DI v2 with a DAC and headphone amplifier, for really cheap price? :eek:

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #36 of 160
Quote:
This thing is interesting.. I'm wondering, if it has the TE8802 and a coax out, isn't it a DI v2 with a DAC and headphone amplifier, for really cheap price?
eek.gif

I was thinking the exact same thing!! If the reviews look good, it will be hard for me to pass on this one.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #38 of 160
That would be an interesting comparison for me. Looks like there will be quite a few people getting this product this coming week.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #39 of 160
This captured my interest since I've been interested in a good computer or DAP-based transportable rig, so I now have one. Sounds good out of the box off USB power. I'll compare it to an Apogee Duet and the components of my "portable" rig in a couple of weeks.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #41 of 160
This captured my interest since I've been interested in a good computer or DAP-based transportable rig, so I now have one. Sounds good out of the box off USB power. I'll compare it to an Apogee Duet and the components of my "portable" rig in a couple of weeks.

Upgrading the "Starbux Rig"? :p

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #42 of 160
Quote:
Quote:

Upgrading the "Starbux Rig"?
tongue.gif

Yup, that's right! I'm listening to with with my Magnums at the moment, using bowls taped to HD-414 pads, so I get more space, but also ends up giving me more treble. The NFB-16 seemed to lose its initial harshness (which I find most new Audio-gd products have) in one day of being left switched on. It has the typical non-feedback sound, which is that darker, black-background-like sound. With most of the music I listen to it is quite relaxing, the music sounding a bit distant with a narrower perceived soundstage. 

Doing what I call the Bolero! test, playing fast, dramatic classical music, its limitations become apparent and fast passages become a blur and various instruments lost in the sound, which isn't a surprise.

I reckon that this plus a pair of Grados would be a good, basic dorm/office rig.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #44 of 160
I've had mine for a couple of days now- the sound is what I hoped for- typical AGD, deep and wide sound with great clarity and positioning of vocals and instruments. I am running my DT700/600 which I worried would not work well but I am about 50% volume on USB power and it's full and dynamic. The E17 is not bad but this is clearly steps above that unit IMO.  My Fuze, forget it.
The bad, Kingwa is having a problem with the 1/8" input which is not good quality (1/4" jack is fine). He is working on a fix for current users and I'm sure he'll have an improved version in the next batch. Also, it's quite big but not impossibly so as I have it velcro'd to the back of my laptop well enough. 
In comparison to my NFB10SE, bass is tighter, soundstage is wider and ultimate fidelity is greater but it's not far behind.

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #45 of 160
The crappy input jack may be partly my fault. I told him if he was going to make anything portable, it would need something that would work with an iPod LOD. That, and he has crammed a 3.5mm headphone out on it as well. It needs to be in a smaller case though. I reckon if he designed it with two circuit boards sandwiched together into a case half the size it might actually work as a portable, if the right flat LiON battery could be crammed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back