NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
Jul 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #61 of 160
Lol Tim, I know what you mean.  I was just curious since in my communications with him about that, he kept saying an adapter for the 1/4", whereas a mini to mini would be much easier and suffice.  I thought maybe he had the output of the 1/4" differently.  Well, I'll find out in a while and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!!!

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #63 of 160
Quote:
Hmm, since it's battery powered I wonder if this would work with an ipad via cck.

I would also be very interested in finding this out! Has anyone tried it?

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #64 of 160
Quote:

Tim,

could you elaborate the DAC part of e17 when connected to NFB16 compared to built-in DAC on NFB16? thanks

E17 is gone already, sorry. The NFB16 has what the others were missing, air and 3D sound that is not too far off from my main rig. I can only guess this is due to the power goodies and upsampling of the TCXO. I need to say again that this is the size of the Digital Interface (same case).

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #65 of 160
wow... are you seriously saying that this thing not too far from your Master amp + Ref 8 source?

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #66 of 160
well, call it approaching, but you get that wow feeling with good recordings that I did not with the E17- I am very impressed with it. Hopefully they get the Tenor drivers squared away soon, I do has some nagging (not fatal) issues with it like getting static after pausing and replaying music.

Also, I use this as DAC/Amp and not stand-alone amp- I connected my Blu-Ray players analog outs to the 16 and thought it sounded poor, nothing like going through the USB using the 16's DAC. I don't know why.

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #68 of 160
Line in is not what I was expecting- let me try more testing with it though. Yes, the new Tenor USB still has a few issues, nothing fatal but "nagging" (think work-around)- they have a new driver coming out soon that I am hopeful for.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #70 of 160
I tested the line in with 3 different sources. It seems it is made for a low level line in like an iPod. My CD player (Pioneer CD changer) and Panasonic BD player were too much for the line in and it distorted the sound. The iPod however sounds great, full and deep but I get a tiny bit of noise at high volume, silent parts.
Using USB from the laptop via the battery is very, very clean and silent sounding.

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #71 of 160
I have just received a reply from Kingwa. Apparently, it is unlikely to work with an iPad because it needs a proprietary driver which is not available for the iPad at present.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #74 of 160
I have a weird issue with mine that it doesn't always show up. Try flipping the front switch between "DAC" and "HP" and switching it on and off. After a couple of tries it shows up. The same problem sometimes happens with my DI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back