NEW Audio-gd NFB-16 class A ACSS portable DAC/Amp
Jul 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #49 of 160
Mine has some noise from USB power and why the battery is being used now I'm guessing (I have not tested it using a separate power supply as I only use it as a portable). Kingwa told me he has no noise with his Mac laptop. The sound quality is better than any portable I have ever used even with the noise. I may sell my NFB10SE and use this for my bedroom rig it's that good.
He needs to get a better 1/8" jack though, I think he fixed that.

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #50 of 160
I got the new battery powered NFB-16 today. Huge improvement in background noise- as in, there is no noise- totally black background like all their other gear. Great realism, depth and air to well recorded music, on par with my NFB10SE.

If you can tolerate the larger size and weight, I can't imagine better portable music (especially for under $200). Also, using USB power, noise is considerably less though still audible especially with sensitive IEM's (hard to hear with my DT770-600 until near full volume).

I am looking to go USB from my Samsung Note phone at some point (hoping to have this work)- this rig would be awesome for traveling.

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #52 of 160
Tim,

if I'm not wrong, I recall you used to have Audinst MX-1? If you still had it, how are they compared?

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #53 of 160
^ I would like to know too.  I had the MX1 but gave it to my girlfriend, it sounded great and wondering if this compares.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #55 of 160
Tim,

I have been back and forth with Kingwa for 2 weeks about the NFB-16, so just want to confirm.

I mainly want to use it with DAPs (ipod LOD etc.) with the usb input as a plus for laptop.  Battery charges via wall wart only?  Basically, charge it up and you can use it solely on battery power for DAPs and usb?  Says about 5 hours for usb use and 20 or so for line in on battey charge?

Basically, I wanted something like the FUN(A) which I own but with a smaller foot print.  I use the FUN with powered speakers, headphones, line-in etc. and Kingwa advised that since the NFB-16 has no pre-out I can still use it in that fashion via an adapter to the headphone out.  Thoughts?  Not really a necessity but would be nice if I can use speakers as well.

Last thing, since you spoke about the DI.  I have the DI (B).  Can you use the supplied wall wart for the NFB-16 in the DI? 

Just trying to maximize this product...lol

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #56 of 160
Yes, battery alone works well and is more powerful than USB as a bonus. I t looks like it charges only via the power supply (not usb). I have not tested the DI with this power supply but the spec's are the same on the agd website for DI and NFB16. I don't imagine the line out of the Fun vs the head out of the 16 would be noticeably different.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #57 of 160
Quote:
Yes, battery alone works well and is more powerful than USB as a bonus. I t looks like it charges only via the power supply (not usb). I have not tested the DI with this power supply but the spec's are the same on the agd website for DI and NFB16. I don't imagine the line out of the Fun vs the head out of the 16 would be noticeably different.

Thanks very much for the info Tim.  Will be ordering shortly.

Cheers!!!

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #59 of 160
Order placed Tim.  Can't wait to play with this little bad boy.

In reference to the headout being used as a pre-out that you mentioned, would you think using the 1/8" vs the 1/4" make a difference?  I have a TS adapter I can throw on it but using a mini to mini would be much easier to my A5s vs. RCA to my Rokits.

Again, just trying to maximixe this $200 box...lol...

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back