New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Nov 12, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #2,221 of 2,819

I didn't talk about the Susvaras though. I'm thinking of doing an updated review of the Susvaras themselves with all the amps I have here.

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,222 of 2,819

I didn't talk about the Susvaras though. I'm thinking of doing an updated review of the Susvaras themselves with all the amps I have here.

The GSX mini must be a solid choice for an totl amp for most head-fiers out there. Given GSX mini’s good reputation, many of us can grab this amp and be happy for years. Thank you for your review, I got a Luxman P750u right here and I was iching if I should by another amp for example the GSX mini. But you reminded me about the diminishing return issue. I think I should save it for other upgrades.

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #2,224 of 2,819
I wish I can hear the Mini one of these days. Its bigger brother the MK2 seems to sound very different after all based on the recent video reviews from @Currawong and @GoldenOne.
Just curious, what do think the GS-X Mini can do that the GS-X MK2 can't do?

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #2,225 of 2,819
Can any gs-mini owner plz tell me if they can tell any sq difference between single ended and balanced inputs? I am running two amps,. mini and mJ2 off my Yggy and having to choose between which amp gets the xlr and which one gets the rca. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #2,226 of 2,819
Can any gs-mini owner plz tell me if they can tell any sq difference between single ended and balanced inputs? I am running two amps,. mini and mJ2 off my Yggy and having to choose between which amp gets the xlr and which one gets the rca. Any help would be appreciated.
I have not noticed huge sound differences on medium or low sensitivity headphones. Certainly not as big a difference as I hear from low gain vs high gain. But you get double the power in balanced. @Currawong discusses this issue in video above.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,227 of 2,819
I have not noticed huge sound differences on medium or low sensitivity headphones. Certainly not as big a difference as I hear from low gain vs high gain. But you get double the power in balanced. @Currawong discusses this issue in video above.
youre talking about the INPUTs right?

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #2,228 of 2,819
youre talking about the INPUTs right?
No, sorry, outputs. I missed you said inputs. SE inputs are converted to balanced, so I don’t think it matters which you use. In fact, HeadAmp says so on its site:

“This means no more compromising your headphone experience when using a single-ended source, your high-end headphones will always benefit from the speed and power of balanced drive when connected to the GS-X Mini.”

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #2,229 of 2,819

Awesome review Currawong! Your quality keeps getting better and it's very consistent format now. One cool thing I learned from your video is that the GS-X Mini will be getting the 4.4mm connector. This is kind of awesome for me as I just had a whole slew of cables made by FAW in the 4.4 termination for most of my headphones. I really need Schiit / Burson / Woo Audio and the rest of the popular manufacturers to get with the times. Good on Justin for leading the way. Mini is so tempting...

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #2,230 of 2,819
One of my DAC is single ended and I do not notice a compromise in sq using RCA input to the GSX mini.
You should probably worry about the output of the Ygg instead, as Ygg does have different output stages for XLR and RCA. That difference is probably more significant than the input of your amps as the Mjolnir and GSX mini are both inherently balanced.

If I were you I would use rca to Mjonlir2 and XLR to GSX mini because IMO GSX mini is the better amp.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #2,232 of 2,819
I inquired about a 4.4 mini today and got a reply that there was some misinformation in a video and there isn't going to be one for now but maybe in a few years.

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,233 of 2,819
Anyone using this with a Bifrost 2 DAC and loving/hating the combo? Would love to hear impressions

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,234 of 2,819
Just curious, what do think the GS-X Mini can do that the GS-X MK2 can't do?
He use Utopia and Nordost Heimdall cable. The slight warmer character of Mini pick his interest I think.

I suppose Mini is the better choice if you seek a little colouration or don't need the extra power the MK2 provides.
Elite would sound better through your GSX Mk2 I believe :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back