New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Oct 22, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2,192 of 2,819
Did you find the Holo and mini pairing a little off?
So I can't really explain why, but I did seem to find some 'odd' behaviour when using it with high output dacs. This occurred on both the may and the bartok. But then turning output level down a bit with dsp vol control fixes the issue

Didnt see anything particularly unusual with a few quick measurements but unfortunately it's gone back to the owner now so can't test thoroughly.

So I guess what I'd say is its not the may pairing, but more just the gsx mini doesn't seem to like >4v output dacs that much I guess?

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #2,193 of 2,819
So I can't really explain why, but I did seem to find some 'odd' behaviour when using it with high output dacs. This occurred on both the may and the bartok. But then turning output level down a bit with dsp vol control fixes the issue

Didnt see anything particularly unusual with a few quick measurements but unfortunately it's gone back to the owner now so can't test thoroughly.

So I guess what I'd say is its not the may pairing, but more just the gsx mini doesn't seem to like >4v output dacs that much I guess?
I think the answer might be to put the mini on low gain when paired with the Holo May. I've been listening to the mini on high gain with the holo this entire time. I was not impressed... until a few hours ago, I accidentally had my gain set on low, and was wondering if it was starting to finally burn in. I was so accustomed to high gain while using the Pegasus r2r dac that I never considered that the May would sound better on low gain. Could that be from the difference in voltage?

Oct 28, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #2,194 of 2,819
I’m currently using a Manley Absolute (which I love) but I want to add a solid state amplifier for those days when I don’t want to switch the tube amp, maybe for a shorter listening session. My main headphones are the Meze Empyrean and I want to add a HD800s.
I’ve narrowed down my list to the Ferrum OOR, the FluxLabs FA10 or 12, the Burson Soloist and the GS-X mini. The Violectric HPA 550 is also a contender but it’s more expensive.
I have a Burson Conductor on my other desk setup, so I’m not too keen on the Soloist…the Conductor is great but I’d like something different.
The Ferrum is quite new and some owners have reported problems…also I would probably end up getting the dedicated PSU, which is pretty expensive.
The Fluxlab is great on paper, reviews are almost unanimously positive, but oh boy is it ugly!
I can’t find any cons on the GS-X mini!! and it works as preamp, which is a plus, as my DAC doesn’t like having two amps connected as the same time. Am I missing anything? Anything else I should consider?

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #2,195 of 2,819
Just saw this, and while I haven't checked the GS-X Mini, while most amps have their volume control directly wired to the inputs, others have the volume control after the initial gain stage for lower distortion. That makes it readily possible to overload the amp, something you can't do if the volume is on the input.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #2,196 of 2,819
I owned a GSX-Mini (sold towards a Linear Tube Audio MZ3) which was connected by XLR cables to the balanced ‘outs’ of the Mojo Audio EVO Mystique DAC. The output voltage from the EVO is: 2.5 (SE) and 5.0 (BAL). I never had a problem between the EVO and the Mini.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,197 of 2,819
I owned a GSX-Mini (sold towards a Linear Tube Audio MZ3) which was connected by XLR cables to the balanced ‘outs’ of the Mojo Audio EVO Mystique DAC. The output voltage from the EVO is: 2.5 (SE) and 5.0 (BAL). I never had a problem between the EVO and the Mini.
It was never 'problematic' as such.
I just noticed that with the bartok for example, having the outputs set to 6v sounded harsher with the mini than when it was set to 2v. But the same was not the case on other amps.

Not really a problem though as one can just add a few dB headroom on your dac and you're good

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,198 of 2,819
I’m currently using a Manley Absolute (which I love) but I want to add a solid state amplifier for those days when I don’t want to switch the tube amp, maybe for a shorter listening session. My main headphones are the Meze Empyrean and I want to add a HD800s.
I’ve narrowed down my list to the Ferrum OOR, the FluxLabs FA10 or 12, the Burson Soloist and the GS-X mini. The Violectric HPA 550 is also a contender but it’s more expensive.
I have a Burson Conductor on my other desk setup, so I’m not too keen on the Soloist…the Conductor is great but I’d like something different.
The Ferrum is quite new and some owners have reported problems…also I would probably end up getting the dedicated PSU, which is pretty expensive.
The Fluxlab is great on paper, reviews are almost unanimously positive, but oh boy is it ugly!
I can’t find any cons on the GS-X mini!! and it works as preamp, which is a plus, as my DAC doesn’t like having two amps connected as the same time. Am I missing anything? Anything else I should consider?
Yes, you need to consider which color faceplate you are going get for your GSX mini :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #2,199 of 2,819
I do notice the GSX mk2/GSX mini does not like high level line signal, input or output, not sure why.

If you get some really high input from DAC, or use the preamp output of other amp, crank up the volume and feed into GSX mini, it will sound "hot" and harsh.
likewise if you use the preamp output of GSX mini on high gain, turn the volume to near max and connect to other amps. It also sounded bad the same way.

But when driving my HE-6, on high gain I turn the volume to near max and use it as a speaker there was no problem with the sound.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #2,200 of 2,819
I don't think it's ugly. Looks as good as my satin blue Mini...

PXL_20211029_030653571.jpg

Oct 29, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,202 of 2,819
I've tried the mini with a few different DACs whilst it was here. May, Bartok, x26 pro.

My personal fav amp is the AHB2 but it requires a preamp
I've tried the mini with a few different DACs whilst it was here. May, Bartok, x26 pro.

Oct 29, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #2,203 of 2,819

Oct 29, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,204 of 2,819
@realmassy I have currently Burson Soloist in one of my systems and honestly speaking if you already have Conductor and you are looking for something else, I would not follow Burson path. While Soloist is great for some rock tracks (and even some very particular jazz recordings) due to its natural speed and kind of clarity I miss this magic bit that makes you fall in love with it. Adding to it: too sensitive volume knob and hiss on medium and high gain with some headphones (not IEMs!) I'd rather look for something else.

I think that Ferrum OOR is over hyped and well overpriced especially considering that manufacture says it sounds awesome only with additional power supply, which is again overpriced for me. There are also some quality issues.

I can't tell anything about FluxLabs but for me the only true contenders from your list are: GS-X Mini and Violectric. Considering they are manufactured in US and Germany I would say their pricing is honest and so is the quality. Personally I would probably get GS-X Mini long time ago if I only would be able to listen to it. It has all the features I need, I like the design, people who had it (not so called "professional" reviewers) in the past says only good things about it. I'd go with standard ALPS RK27 instead of 24 step DACT since I like to heave more headroom. Just 2 cents...

Have fun selecting your best next amp mate! :)

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,205 of 2,819
They definitely have something in common, you are right! Maybe it’s the silver knob that bothers me LOL
Other than aesthetics, which of the two units is your favourite? Any substantial difference?
You can get the knob in black. I just liked the silver on blue.

I really like them both. For having less power, the GS-X mini can drive pretty much anything. I like the balanced design and pre-outs on the mini. The size is easier to accommodate on a desk. The FA-10 is pretty bare-bones, but packs a lot of value for the price. They both sound excellent. Both have very quiet backgrounds with sensitive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back