New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #2,177 of 2,818
I've been listening on my Utopia's with the low gain on - switched to high and it seems punchier to me as well.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,179 of 2,818
I went and had a listen after volume matching and you're right -- low gain sounds a bit more muted in dynamics as well, even at a higher volume. That was unexpected.
So glad my ears aren’t broken. I’m not very good at picking up subtle changes, but this one really jumped out at me. Even on sensitive headphones I notice the difference. It seems to apply to both planars and dynamics.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #2,180 of 2,818
I wonder if @justin w. could weigh in here on why we’re noticing this difference between low and high gain, even volume matched. What’s going on to make the high gain setting more dynamic and full sounding?

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,181 of 2,818
I wonder if @justin w. could weigh in here on why we’re noticing this difference between low and high gain, even volume matched. What’s going on to make the high gain setting more dynamic and full sounding?
I'm just glad it sounds as good as it does on high gain. Makes me wonder if the gsx mk2 can benefit as much from high gain as the mini.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,182 of 2,818

Happen on every single amp with gain selector that I ever tried (which is plenty). Wondering what make this effect as well...

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,183 of 2,818
I went and had a listen after volume matching and you're right -- low gain sounds a bit more muted in dynamics as well, even at a higher volume. That was unexpected.
Has it something to do with the output impedance? On one of my tube amp switching between H/L gain does have a subtle effect albeit unnoticeable change on it's output impedance and this was listed in it's spec sheet.

Sep 30, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,184 of 2,818
Sep 30, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,185 of 2,818
Ferrum OOR + Hypsos to me was a bit too harsh in the upper-mids and I had a hard time listening to it with a couple different sources. Definitely less veiled and cleaner sounding than Mini, but timbre seemed a more unnatural and certainly less warm.

Hard to comment on smaller details as I only tried it for about half an hour in show conditions, but these were my first impressions.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,187 of 2,818
Ferrum OOR + Hypsos to me was a bit too harsh in the upper-mids and I had a hard time listening to it with a couple different sources. Definitely less veiled and cleaner sounding than Mini, but timbre seemed a more unnatural and certainly less warm.

Hard to comment on smaller details as I only tried it for about half an hour in show conditions, but these were my first impressions.

I got a chance to try it with OOR too. I pretty much agree with you.
I wouldn't call the OOR more transparent though, but "faster" sounding, very crisp.
GSX mini is the traditional class A sound, smooth and organic, and is as transparent as it could get.
the OOR actually reminds me of the THX789, even the look and feel somewhat like it. of course a super buffed one. and it does not run warm like the mini.

They are the same price point, OOR and GSX mini are both ~2k
OOR with external PSU is ~3k which is at same price point with GSX mk2

I like the sound of both, but for the price I'd pick GSX mini any day for the build and finish.
and would pick the HPA4 if I go for the "faster" type of sound, as the benchmark also has a better finish.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,189 of 2,818
Couldn't seem to find any measurements of it about so this might be the first. Put some up here: https://goldensound.audio/2021/09/30/headamp-gs-x-mini-headphone-amplifier-measurements/

Sounding brilliant so far. Bit soft with susvara but Arya and HD800S are :ok_hand:

will be interesting to see how this compares to OOR
Hey just saw your review on the mini. Thanks for another great review. Did you pair the mini with the holo? How did you find that pairing? What amp is your favorite when paired with the Holo May? Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,190 of 2,818
Hey just saw your review on the mini. Thanks for another great review. Did you pair the mini with the holo? How did you find that pairing? What amp is your favorite when paired with the Holo May? Thanks.
I've tried the mini with a few different DACs whilst it was here. May, Bartok, x26 pro.

My personal fav amp is the AHB2 but it requires a preamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back