New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Nov 30, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #2,251 of 2,819
I inquired about a 4.4 mini today and got a reply that there was some misinformation in a video and there isn't going to be one for now but maybe in a few years.
I unfortunately caused confusion. People thought that I meant that there would be 4.4 soon. I didn't imply that, but people don't realise that designs and updates can take years. I've edited the video now to remove that part.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #2,252 of 2,819
I unfortunately caused confusion. People thought that I meant that there would be 4.4 soon. I didn't imply that, but people don't realise that designs and updates can take years. I've edited the video now to remove that part.
I did a thing.

All is good. I found a pre-owned one and ended up saving some money had they came out with a 4.4. Sent the LCD-5 cable to Audeze in exchange for a balanced XLR and no longer have desire for the 4.4.

Got a satin blue one. Purchased satin red face from Justin. Changing the faceplate was a little more involved than I read about. The two bottom XLR out screws are right up against the board that my L wrench could only turn a quarter to half revolution at a time! In all, ended up removing 20 screws and a nut with 3 different size tools for the job.

Attachments

• 20211130_194345 (2).jpg
    20211130_194345 (2).jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,255 of 2,819
I've my GS-X Mini DACT24 Stepped now for 3 months.
Since the beginning it had this thing, when I turn the volume knob I can hear a light eletrical crackle in my headphones. Not with every step, and not always the same steps. The loudness of the crackle also varies each time. It happens when both playing or not playing music while changing volume on the amp. I've found 2 other people in this thread that described this phenomenon.

Now I personally dont mind it, since I dont change volume often and it's not really that loud. But I was wondering if that would put any stress on my headphone? Wanna make sure I keep my audio gear in good shape.

I don't have any electrical/engineering knowledge, so I hope somebody here can assure me that it doesn't hurt my headphones.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #2,256 of 2,819
This amp is some thing special, I've tried over 30 amps from low to high end and the mini is the one to keep for me because of its amazing tonality, it can play from low impedance planars to dynamics with authority and even make make my HekSe sound amazing
Same here, HEKse is beautiful with the Mini and despite getting BS on the HugoTT2 thread, I prefer this configuration compared to TT2 direct. It gives this slight coloration and a tad more warmth and body that synergises splendidly with the HEKse and my HD800S.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #2,257 of 2,819
I am surprised to see that I can max out the volume on high gain and control volume with the X26 Pro and remote. Zero noise. Really happy with this combo.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #2,258 of 2,819
Same here, HEKse is beautiful with the Mini and despite getting BS on the HugoTT2 thread, I prefer this configuration compared to TT2 direct. It gives this slight coloration and a tad more warmth and body that synergises splendidly with the HEKse and my HD800S.
I haven't been lucky enough to try the TT2 but judging from chord house sound it doesn't surprise me, I have tried it with a hugo2 and qutest and the added warmth the mini brings makes everything sound more natural

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #2,259 of 2,819
I've my GS-X Mini DACT24 Stepped now for 3 months.
Since the beginning it had this thing, when I turn the volume knob I can hear a light eletrical crackle in my headphones. Not with every step, and not always the same steps. The loudness of the crackle also varies each time. It happens when both playing or not playing music while changing volume on the amp. I've found 2 other people in this thread that described this phenomenon.

Now I personally dont mind it, since I dont change volume often and it's not really that loud. But I was wondering if that would put any stress on my headphone? Wanna make sure I keep my audio gear in good shape.

I don't have any electrical/engineering knowledge, so I hope somebody here can assure me that it doesn't hurt my headphones.

Could be dust/dirt in the pot. Have you tried carefully blowing it out with compressed air?

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,260 of 2,819
Could be dust/dirt in the pot. Have you tried carefully blowing it out with compressed air?

Haven't opened up the amplifier yet. Thanks for pointing out a possible culprit. I've also sent a message to the manufacturer, if it could do damage to my headphones I'll try the gentle compressed air. I personally don't feel too comfortable opening up electronics, because I'm extremely clumsy..

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,261 of 2,819
Haven't opened up the amplifier yet. Thanks for pointing out a possible culprit. I've also sent a message to the manufacturer, if it could do damage to my headphones I'll try the gentle compressed air. I personally don't feel too comfortable opening up electronics, because I'm extremely clumsy..

No need to open anything up. If the compressed air doesn't work, I'm sure Headamp will take care of you.

Dec 9, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #2,262 of 2,819
Just FYI, the DACT volume controller is a stepped attenuator, not a potentiometer (the ALPS option they offer is a pot). It's still possible that compressed air could help, but I haven't heard of anyone cleaning out their stepped attenuator that way before.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #2,263 of 2,819
Just FYI, the DACT volume controller is a stepped attenuator, not a potentiometer (the ALPS option they offer is a pot). It's still possible that compressed air could help, but I haven't heard of anyone cleaning out their stepped attenuator that way before.

I have a GSX-MK2 with DACT and it solved a minor crackling problem for me. Agree that it's less likely with a stepped attenuator, but dust/dirt can still build up around the contact points. Who knows, it could have been a coincidence that the problem went away after blowing it out carefully, but not much to lose...

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,264 of 2,819
I have a GSX-MK2 with DACT and it solved a minor crackling problem for me. Agree that it's less likely with a stepped attenuator, but dust/dirt can still build up around the contact points. Who knows, it could have been a coincidence that the problem went away after blowing it out carefully, but not much to lose...
You gave me the idea of turning the volume all the way knob up/down for a minute to try and move the potential dust away in a natural way. This has greatly reduced the crackle! It happens way less often now and the sound is softer. It seems you were right on the dust/dirt part. Thanks for the idea!

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,265 of 2,819
You gave me the idea of turning the volume all the way knob up/down for a minute to try and move the potential dust away in a natural way. This has greatly reduced the crackle! It happens way less often now and the sound is softer. It seems you were right on the dust/dirt part. Thanks for the idea!

Glad it helped! I'll send you the bill... :wink:

I'd still reach out to Headamp/Justin though - he may have some other ideas on how to completely eliminate the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back