New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Nov 27, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #2,236 of 2,819
I wonder how the LCD-5 are going to sound with the MK2. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I would think very well. The Mk2 is very nice with LCD-4.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #2,238 of 2,819
Just joined the GS-X Mini club. I paid for a brand new polished blue model from the official dealer in my country w/ the DACT CT-24 option. I should take delivery early next week. OMG struggled so much trying to find a good amp at a reasonable price and also reading so many conflicting reports regarding it's capabilities with the Susvara. In any event I have 14 other headphones and from all accounts the GS-X Mini should do well with most of them. I'll be pairing the Mini with the Qutest and Bifrost 2. I should be able to toggle back and forth between the two sources and have some fun. I hope this can be a reasonable endgame until I can step up to the WA33. Will post some impressions against my cheaper/popular Chinese duo, the A90 / Singxer SA-1

Really looking forward to hearing how the GS-X does with my HD800S, LCD-3 / 4Z, D8000 Pro, Empyrean, Utopia and others. I figured even if it's not the greatest amp for Susvara I can get plenty of enjoyment from my other headphones and by all accounts it is anywhere between okay to even good depending on who you ask

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #2,239 of 2,819
He use Utopia and Nordost Heimdall cable. The slight warmer character of Mini pick his interest I think.

Elite would sound better through your GSX Mk2 I believe :beyersmile:
Yep, you are absolutely right about the GS-X MK2 pairing with the Elites. That headphone sounds amazing on it.
I wonder how the LCD-5 are going to sound with the MK2. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The LCD-5’s is another headphone that sounds incredible on the GS-X MK2. in short nothing sounds bad on the it :)

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,240 of 2,819
My LCD-5 is coming today without a balanced cable. If I'm running my D90 balanced into the Mini can I still listen with a single ended cable without any issues? I assume leave the input knob on XLR and the only difference would be lower gain for the SE cable?

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #2,241 of 2,819
Yep, you are absolutely right about the GS-X MK2 pairing with the Elites. That headphone sounds amazing on it.

The LCD-5’s is another headphone that sounds incredible on the GS-X MK2. in short nothing sounds bad on the it :)

What do you think about GSX Mk2 vs Formula/Powerman combo when driving Elite?

My LCD-5 is coming today without a balanced cable. If I'm running my D90 balanced into the Mini can I still listen with a single ended cable without any issues? I assume leave the input knob on XLR and the only difference would be lower gain for the SE cable?
Yes, you good to go, no problem using SE cable. Balance would be more optimal though.

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #2,242 of 2,819

Yes, you good to go, no problem using SE cable. Balance would be more optimal though.
Thanks. Luckily I remembered I had a extra xlr cable laying around from an lcd2c. The LCD5 sounds amazing on the mini. No burn in or EQ needed on this bad boy

Attachments

• lcdbreh.jpg
    lcdbreh.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,244 of 2,819
Initially I was a bigger fan of the Elites on the Formula S/Powerman with the Sagra as the DAC. Then I started hearing some midrange smearing and some thickening of the sound that I did not find preferable. The Elites are really musical on the XIAudio Stack with terrific bass.

Out of the GS-X with the Dave/HMS as the DAC the sound cleaned up considerably. The Elites are more expressive, more resolving, with improved transients and definition across the frequency spectrum.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,245 of 2,819
I haven't heard this combination, but I'd reckon: pretty amazing!
I imagine it would be a similar experience to what you are hearing on your HPA4.

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #2,246 of 2,819
I have a few days to initiate a return for my Jot2 I recently acquired to use with my Bifrost 2 and Verite Closed. I'm really thinking about returning the Jot2 for a GSX Mini. Anyone here got any thoughts on that idea? I don't mind the current BF2/Jot2 pairing but it's a tad warm (or rather, 'veiled') for my liking and others have reported that amp/dac pairing is certainly on the warm side (especially considering the VCs are already warm oriented IMO).

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #2,247 of 2,819
I have a few days to initiate a return for my Jot2 I recently acquired to use with my Bifrost 2 and Verite Closed. I'm really thinking about returning the Jot2 for a GSX Mini. Anyone here got any thoughts on that idea? I don't mind the current BF2/Jot2 pairing but it's a tad warm (or rather, 'veiled') for my liking and others have reported that amp/dac pairing is certainly on the warm side (especially considering the VCs are already warm oriented IMO).
I have both and there is nothing that the jot2 can do better then the mini but you are comparing 2 amps that are in completely different price brackets

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #2,248 of 2,819
I have both and there is nothing that the jot2 can do better then the mini but you are comparing 2 amps that are in completely different price brackets

Yeah I understand there's quite an increase between the Jot2's $400 price tag vs. the GSX mini's $1700. I suppose I'm wondering whether or not I'm getting the most out of my VCs by going with a relatively entry level amp like the Jot2 vs. going with something supposedly a lot more competent such as the GSX. Are you saying the difference in *sound* is practically unnoticeable? Or are you referring to another category such as power?

For reference I got the Jot2 after I tried driving the VCs with a portable amp/dac (iFi micro iDSD Signature) and found everything sounded compressed and muddy (also the bass just wasn't hitting). There was a noticeable step up going from that amp to the Jot2, everything opened up a bit more and the bass response started to come in. I'm wondering if going from something in the price category of a Jot2 to something in the category of a GSX mini would yield a similar level up in sound, particularly in soundstage and detail.

I'm fairly new to the desktop amp/dac game so apologies for any misunderstandings.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #2,249 of 2,819
Not sure about the Mini but the Jot 2 got outclassed by the Singxer SA-1 and the Singxer got outclassed by the GS-X MK2. Having heard these 3 amps, the Mini should be quite substantially better than the Jot 2 I feel. Both the SA-1 and MK2 are far more neutral and smoother than the Jot 2 with better layering and details.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #2,250 of 2,819
Yeah I understand there's quite an increase between the Jot2's $400 price tag vs. the GSX mini's $1700. I suppose I'm wondering whether or not I'm getting the most out of my VCs by going with a relatively entry level amp like the Jot2 vs. going with something supposedly a lot more competent such as the GSX. Are you saying the difference in *sound* is practically unnoticeable? Or are you referring to another category such as power?

For reference I got the Jot2 after I tried driving the VCs with a portable amp/dac (iFi micro iDSD Signature) and found everything sounded compressed and muddy (also the bass just wasn't hitting). There was a noticeable step up going from that amp to the Jot2, everything opened up a bit more and the bass response started to come in. I'm wondering if going from something in the price category of a Jot2 to something in the category of a GSX mini would yield a similar level up in sound, particularly in soundstage and detail.

I'm fairly new to the desktop amp/dac game so apologies for any misunderstandings.
If you are happy with the sound your are getting from the jot2 I would just stay there until you get to audition more gear, the name of the game is synergy in this hobby. But I can tell you what I hear between the 2, the mini compared to the jot2 is cleaner, wider and more natural sounding. It doesn't have the emphasis on the highs and graininess that the jot has which in your case might be a detriment if you feel your chain is to warm.

I did try the VC on your exact same set up when I had it and to me it sounded better on the mini but just for reference I prefer a more warm analog sound so your preferences might differ from mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back