New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 23, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #2,041 of 2,819
Totally agree. My impressions of Soloist are superficial.
And to be honest. We spent more time chatting and having fun than listening. Lol

May 23, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #2,042 of 2,819
Fully agree! That's why I'm hesitant to share my thoughts, I need more time with the GSX Mini to make a true deduction. I may just buy one used and resell. I like the Burson a lot, but want to spend more time with the Headamp. Based on memory if I didn't have the V280 I'd go with the GSX in a heartbeat. I found it to be really engaging and tonally balanced.

Ps- great equipment list! Looks like we have similar tastes :beerchug:
Looking forward to your big amp review! The 2 part Dac one you did was pretty helpful back when I was in decision limbo.
Big fan of the GSX Mini myself.

Chibs

May 23, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #2,043 of 2,819
Fully agree! That's why I'm hesitant to share my thoughts, I need more time with the GSX Mini to make a true deduction. I may just buy one used and resell. I like the Burson a lot, but want to spend more time with the Headamp. Based on memory if I didn't have the V280 I'd go with the GSX in a heartbeat. I found it to be really engaging and tonally balanced.

Ps- great equipment list! Looks like we have similar tastes :beerchug:
I own the Violectric V280 (two of them...) and the HeadAmp GSX-mini. These are my first and second favourite solid-state headphone amplifiers. Each of these has a number of undeniable strengths of which the most important, to me, is musicality - or said differently, a lack of sterility. I have found that each of these h/p/a has real synergy with different headphones. That may be important to you depending on which headphone(s) you are using or considering. My “thumbs up” headphones with the GSX-mini are the Meze Empyrean and the Rosson Audio RAD-0, particularly with silver headphone cable. For the V280, my “thumbs up” headphones are ZMF Auteur and Focal Clear (original), again with silver or copper headphone cable. When the Clear is driven by the GSX-mini, I hear a “sheen” in the sound; when the RAD-0 is driven by the V280, there is a bit less “vivacity”. Just my thoughts.

May 23, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #2,044 of 2,819
Looking forward to your big amp review! The 2 part Dac one you did was pretty helpful back when I was in decision limbo.
Big fan of the GSX Mini myself.

Thanks! I feel many are in the same boat. So many quality choices out there that it's really hard to lose. Though we all still wonder which we may suit out tastes better.

I own the Violectric V280 (two of them...) and the HeadAmp GSX-mini. These are my first and second favourite solid-state headphone amplifiers. Each of these has a number of undeniable strengths of which the most important, to me, is musicality - or said differently, a lack of sterility. I have found that each of these h/p/a has real synergy with different headphones. That may be important to you depending on which headphone(s) you are using or considering. My “thumbs up” headphones with the GSX-mini are the Meze Empyrean and the Rosson Audio RAD-0, particularly with silver headphone cable. For the V280, my “thumbs up” headphones are ZMF Auteur and Focal Clear (original), again with silver or copper headphone cable. When the Clear is driven by the GSX-mini, I hear a “sheen” in the sound; when the RAD-0 is driven by the V280, there is a bit less “vivacity”. Just my thoughts.

We're of the same mind. The whole reason I wanted to try out and compare different solid states is because I was simply dissatisfied with how the Empy's sounded on the V280. Good to hear I'm not the only one.

May 24, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #2,045 of 2,819
Good to know that the VC's will pair well. So, what about the Stellia and low impedance headphones in general?
I'm using my Stellia + mini right now. Excellent pairing, I can only think of good things about it. Zero desire to change to or try a different solid state amp unless my budget was waaay higher. At 9 o'clock on the volume pot and low gain, the headphones are comfortably loud for me. So there's an enormous amount of headroom and they drive the Stellia with complete authority.

edit: forgot to mention I'm using the balanced output

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,046 of 2,819

Any "sheen" could likely be from your DAC/source/music. The GS-X mini is ruthlessly revealing and is showing you what issues you may have upstream. The V280 is a rather coloured amplifier and smearing over it.

May 26, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2,047 of 2,819
Any "sheen" could likely be from your DAC/source/music. The GS-X mini is ruthlessly revealing and is showing you what issues you may have upstream. The V280 is a rather coloured amplifier and smearing over it.
The DAC that I use is the Mojo Audio EVO Mystique Pro 21(R2R non-over-sampling): going on two years. I can attest that the “sheen” is not from this DAC.

May 26, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #2,048 of 2,819
The DAC that I use is the Mojo Audio EVO Mystique Pro 21(R2R non-over-sampling): going on two years. I can attest that the “sheen” is not from this DAC.
I'd try something else....NOS DAC's aren't known for being the most accurate. I reviewed the GS-X mini with the Chord DAVE and "sheen" is the last word I would use. :wink:

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2,050 of 2,819
Audiolab CDT-6000

May 26, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2,052 of 2,819
I'm a fan of the rear exhaust model for use with GSX Mini. Works very well and allows you to stack something on top :L3000:
Thanks for posting your photos.
Thanks for providing the links. I went ahead and ordered one with rear exhaust today from Amazon and should have it by Friday this week.

May 27, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,055 of 2,819
The GS-X mini I ordered just arrived. Guess I'll have to do a head to head with my singxer sa-1 to see how close/different they really are.
Somebody @ Zeos on the results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back