New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 20, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,026 of 2,819
Good to know that the VC's will pair well. So, what about the Stellia and low impedance headphones in general?
I have also listened to my HE1000se and Empyreans and both of them sound wonderful. I like a bit more bass with the HE1000se so i use my Liquid Platinum but the mini is actually my preferred amp with my Empyreans.

May 21, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #2,027 of 2,819
Good to know that the VC's will pair well. So, what about the Stellia and low impedance headphones in general?
Yes I also agree, the VC pairs very well with the GS-X mini (had the VC for 8 month exclusively on the mini). Basically the GS-X mini is great with almost any headphone and particularly with modern headphones with low impedance and high sensitivity: no hiss, no noise (not all compareable amps in my collection can offer this)

May 21, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #2,028 of 2,819
Yes I also agree, the VC pairs very well with the GS-X mini (had the VC for 8 month exclusively on the mini). Basically the GS-X mini is great with almost any headphone and particularly with modern headphones with low impedance and high sensitivity: no hiss, no noise (not all compareable amps in my collection can offer this)
Thank you.

May 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,030 of 2,819
Can someone who has heard the Burson Soloist 3X and GSX Mini give a breakdown on which of these two amps they prefer and the differences in sound from both.
GS-X is the better amp, just not as feature filled. Smoother, more detailed. I didn’t get a ton of time with Soloist but @FYFL and @Relaxasaurus might have more thoughts on this. We did a big amp comparison last week.

May 22, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,031 of 2,819
May 22, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,033 of 2,819
GS-X is the better amp, just not as feature filled. Smoother, more detailed. I didn’t get a ton of time with Soloist but @FYFL and @Relaxasaurus might have more thoughts on this. We did a big amp comparison last week.
I didn’t spend a ton of time with them either. They are definitely different enough that one might suit someone’s preferences better over the other. But from what I remember, Mini is more honest/faithful to music reproduction. Solist is interesting but I couldn’t figure out what its signature reminded me of. I feel that Mini was one of the better amps of the bunch.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,034 of 2,819
I didn’t spend a ton of time with them either. They are definitely different enough that one might suit someone’s preferences better over the other. But from what I remember, Mini is more honest/faithful to music reproduction. Solist is interesting but I couldn’t figure out what its signature reminded me of. I feel that Mini was one of the better amps of the bunch.

Curious what the other amps were.

May 23, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #2,038 of 2,819
Can someone who has heard the Burson Soloist 3X and GSX Mini give a breakdown on which of these two amps they prefer and the differences in sound from both.
Is there anything the burson soloist 3x did better than the gs-x mini? What dac did you use with the GS-X Mini?
In my opinion you need more extensive time to adapt an appreciate the minor differences that headphone amplifiers can offer (or not) and cannot be reliable judged over a time-boxed listening session/shoot-out. Lastly it up to you to try for yourself, since only your personal expectation and listening habits will tell if you can make out those differences and like them with the headphones you own and prefer.

Unlike stated in the previous posts above I personally would not say the GS-X mini is more detailed than the Soloist 3XP rather the opposite, but that might be personal perception and bias. My ranking for detail/nuances of amps would be: Soloist 3XP > GS-X mini > Singxer SA-1 > Violectric V281.

If I could keep only one of my amps it would probably still be the GS-X mini, but that does not mean the others are worse, just the overall package might be a hair more convincing. One really cool feature of the Soloist 3XP is the headphone power amp mode that can make the difference for you on the right headphone (e.g. Meze Empyrean).

You can't go wrong with either amplifier, they offer both great listening experience and are for me in the same league.

May 23, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,039 of 2,819
In my opinion you need more extensive time to adapt an appreciate the minor differences that headphone amplifiers can offer (or not) and cannot be reliable judged over a time-boxed listening session/shoot-out. Lastly it up to you to try for yourself, since only your personal expectation and listening habits will tell if you can make out those differences and like them with the headphones you own and prefer.

Unlike stated in the previous posts above I personally would not say the GS-X mini is more detailed than the Soloist 3XP rather the opposite, but that might be personal perception and bias. My ranking for detail/nuances of amps would be: Soloist 3XP > GS-X mini > Singxer SA-1 > Violectric V281.

If I could keep only one of my amps it would probably still be the GS-X mini, but that does not mean the others are worse, just the overall package might be a hair more convincing. One really cool feature of the Soloist 3XP is the headphone power amp mode that can make the difference for you on the right headphone (e.g. Meze Empyrean).

You can't go wrong with either amplifier, they offer both great listening experience and are for me in the same league.

Fully agree! That's why I'm hesitant to share my thoughts, I need more time with the GSX Mini to make a true deduction. I may just buy one used and resell. I like the Burson a lot, but want to spend more time with the Headamp. Based on memory if I didn't have the V280 I'd go with the GSX in a heartbeat. I found it to be really engaging and tonally balanced.

Ps- great equipment list! Looks like we have similar tastes :beerchug:

May 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,040 of 2,819

Totally agree. My impressions of Soloist are superficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back