New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 18, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #1,996 of 2,814
Mini finally arrived today, and it's been a pretty amazing experience so far.

Quick question, is the volume knob suppose to get HOT (alps)? I expected the rest of it to be a furnace, but the knob was a bit of a surprise as it's pretty unpleasant to change the volume after a while.
Yes, the knob can get warm also after a while, but not so much, when ventilation is guaranteed. Is your mini free standing?

May 18, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,997 of 2,814
Yes, the knob can get warm also after a while, but not so much, when ventilation is guaranteed. Is your mini free standing?
There's nothing stacked on top of it (or below it) but there's glass about an inch above it, which may be pushing the hot air that comes out of the vents back in?

Attachments

• unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 18, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,999 of 2,814
That glass is definitely limiting cooling.
There's nothing stacked on top of it (or below it) but there's glass about an inch above it, which may be pushing the hot air that comes out of the vents back in?
The glass could prevent proper ventilation, when you only got about an inch space between. I had a similar situation with my GS-X mini and my rack.
I could not put the mini into the inner compartments, otherwise it would heat up very fast. So I put it on top and everything was fine from there on.
Audio.Rack.2021-04.jpg

May 18, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #2,000 of 2,814
Mini finally arrived today, and it's been a pretty amazing experience so far.

Quick question, is the volume knob suppose to get HOT (alps)? I expected the rest of it to be a furnace, but the knob was a bit of a surprise as it's pretty unpleasant to change the volume after a while.
Congrats! it’s so good.

The volume knob on mine — also alps — does indeed get hot. I was noticing it today. Seems really weird since it’s just a piece of plastic anchored to the knob with a hex screw. I guess the amp is just so hot it heats up everything it touches.

May 18, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #2,001 of 2,814
That glass is definitely limiting cooling.
Yea figured, will have to reorganize my desk to accommodate the oven! I don't know how I see pictures of people stacking other equipment on top of the mini.
The glass could prevent proper ventilation, when you only got about an inch space between. I had a similar situation with my GS-X mini and my rack.
I could not put the mini into the inner compartments, otherwise it would heat up very fast. So I put it on top and everything was fine from there on.
Audio.Rack.2021-04.jpg
Yea I moved it forward and it cooled down within a couple of minutes (a slightly cooler oven haha), but will need to rethink some rack options. Right now the tube amp is at the top because it requires the most space! What kind of rack is that you're using? It's very nice!

May 18, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #2,002 of 2,814
I don't particularly like the design of the Mini but compared to your other amps I think it is the most beautiful of all :)

May 18, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #2,004 of 2,814
The Alps RK27 Potentiometer on mine gets fairly warm, but not hot. The top of my unit gets the hottest, but never to the point where I can't rest my hand on it without pain. This is so subjective though. We'd have to do something like take measurements with infrared thermometers after the unit has been on for some specified time to make a more objective comparison.

May 18, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #2,005 of 2,814
Anyone here experienced with soldering and electronics? I'm looking for something I can solder in those 6 holes so I can just move wires without having to solder again.

I did look up and found "pin headers" but could not find stacking wires unless I just make my own with a closed loop end. Though I doubt I will ever use 100v. I think holes 0 and 7 should be big enough to keep the permanent wire + add a pin header then I wont need to stack wires over.

May 19, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #2,006 of 2,814
May 19, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #2,008 of 2,814
May 19, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #2,009 of 2,814
I'm a fan of the rear exhaust model for use with GSX Mini. Works very well and allows you to stack something on top :L3000:
That looks very interesting. Would you share a photo of how it looks sitting on top of your GS-X?

May 19, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,010 of 2,814
That looks very interesting. Would you share a photo of how it looks sitting on top of your GS-X?
Sure

187971CB-FCC8-42DC-9DC0-264CB38115E9.jpeg

If you go back a bit in this thread I posted a shot of this combo with a Gustard X-16 stacked on top of the Aircom S6. Great system for the GSX Mini. It switches itself on automatically when the Gsx gets warm. Switches itself off when things cool back down.
Chibs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back