New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Apr 30, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,967 of 2,814
Thinking about getting an R2R Dac. Looking very carefully at Denafrips Pontus II.
Anyone using this dac or similar R2R wit GSX Mini?
I am using the Ares II with the GS-X mini exclusively, so you can go very well with the Pontus II.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,968 of 2,814
I am using the Ares II with the GS-X mini exclusively, so you can go very well with the Pontus II.
I see you've got Meze Empyrean too! How do those sound with gsx and Ares II? I just got Empyrean yesterday and looking at my system, cant help but wonder if the Pontus will end up sounding more organic / better somehow than my Gustard X-16.

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #1,969 of 2,814
I see you've got Meze Empyrean too! How do those sound with gsx and Ares II? I just got Empyrean yesterday and looking at my system, cant help but wonder if the Pontus will end up sounding more organic / better somehow than my Gustard X-16
I do like the combination GS-X mini+Ares II very much with the Empyrean, yes. But I would suggest you take some time first with the Gustard X-16 and let the Empyrean grow on you and later you can decide for yourself if you are really missing something (your brain needs some time to adjust). Don't think about the next possible "upgrade" too fast since the DAC has not the biggest impact overall in my opinion. And with the GS-X mini you already have a very good amplifier that makes any headphone sound great!

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,971 of 2,814
I do like the combination GS-X mini+Ares II very much with the Empyrean, yes. But I would suggest you take some time first with the Gustard X-16 and let the Empyrean grow on you and later you can decide for yourself if you are really missing something (your brain needs some time to adjust). Don't think about the next possible "upgrade" too fast since the DAC has not the biggest impact overall in my opinion. And with the GS-X mini you already have a very good amplifier that makes any headphone sound great!
That’s the most rational thing anyone has explained to me all week. Still - PONTUS! It’s becoming a mantra in my brain. Pontus. Pontus. Pontus. Pon-Tus. I love the way it looks and the way it sounds coming out of my mouth. Must sound amazing. Not the most rational person! Still, I’ll hold out for as long as I can. :o2smile:

PONTUS.

Pontus.

help me.

Chibs

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,975 of 2,814
Thanks! I almost went with that color but decided to wait for the purple. Big mistake, in hindsight lol

It really is a good blue. Like you I wanted purple but when I asked for an ETA, I was told they were looking for a supplier that could do it.
I could always order the faceplate down the road once they start stocking it again. So I decided Satin black with blue volume knob. Moastly business with just bit of party :L3000: Ended up loving it!
5D47F40A-C61E-435D-B86F-81A6DF6E9457.jpeg

This amp with Empyreans is unfluffing believable.
Chibs

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #1,976 of 2,814
It really is a good blue. Like you I wanted purple but when I asked for an ETA, I was told they were looking for a supplier that could do it.
I could always order the faceplate down the road once they start stocking it again. So I decided Satin black with blue volume knob. Moastly business with just bit of party :L3000: Ended up loving it!

This amp with Empyreans is unfluffing believable.
Chibs
GS-X mini + Empyrean not too warm? I am thinking about this combo down the line... Elex is just too clinical and boring to be my daily driver.

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #1,977 of 2,814
GS-X mini + Empyrean not too warm? I am thinking about this combo down the line... Elex is just too clinical and boring to be my daily driver.
I'll put it to you like this. There should be a per minute charge for how much I'm enjoying this combo. 1-900-GSX-EMPY something along those lines.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #1,978 of 2,814
More to the point, I tried to go back to Arya to compare. They lasted 20 seconds and I was like NOOOOOOPE.
I'm experiencing the no time limit on listening phenomenon folks describe about Empyreans. No ear fatigue. No Sharpness after 20 - 30 minutes.
It's only Day 2 with them but things are sounding great.

Perhaps I should sell Arya. Pontus. Pon-tus. :p

May 1, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,980 of 2,814
Yeah it's frickin' un'funk'believable how can GS-X dance with Empys. But be sure to obtain a balanced cable, because there's where the magic happens! (Ideally some TOTL silver one :} )
They were supposed to come with the xlr cables but I was sent single ended on accident. Should be getting the xlr Monday according to Justin @ Headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back