New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 1, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #1,981 of 2,809
Which XLR cable is Justin sending?

May 3, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,982 of 2,809
Which XLR cable is Justin sending?
Just got it delivered and now have it hooked up to the GSX Mini (listening to Phish :)) Assuming it’s the regular one I originally ordered. Nothing fancy although I like the construction, length, and colour coded mini xlr connectors. These are the first OEM cables that have me debating wether or not I should order from Periapt. Crazy!

AD1994C7-E31A-41F9-8829-C8D90FD08865.jpeg
Came with a nice vinyl bag.

192CF028-A722-4B29-9E43-F5635A3C3278.jpeg
The GSX mini definitely needs to be on low gain for my Empyreans now that I'm running balanced. These things are similar to my Focals in that they don't require gobs of power to drive.

Chibs

May 5, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #1,983 of 2,809
Here’s a ranking of my current open backs on my two amps, one of which is a GS-X Mini that I just got in on Monday. The Mini has about 35 hours of burn-in time now and I only have a balanced cable for my ZMF, so consider this very preliminary. Still, you’ll see there are some interesting findings. The IHA-1 tubes are Natural Sound CV181-T and Grant Fidelity PSvane West Electric 274B replica. The Mini has the Alps RK27.

HeadAmp GS-X Mini:
* 1. Hifiman Arya (SE) *
* 2. Beyer T1 (SE) *
* 3. ZMF Aeolus (Balanced) *

Dragon Inspire IHA-1:
* 1. ZMF Aeolus *
* 2. Beyer T1 *
* 3. Hifiman Arya *

Two surprises here for me...

First, the T1 performs way better than I expected on the Mini, and I think that offers some good evidence for just how great an amp it is. The T1 sounds better on some tracks than the Arya and is a close second here (it’s also a close second on the IHA-1, but that’s not a shocker). I’ll be interested to see how balanced output improves Arya when my new Norne Drausk Lite arrives.

Second, and the bigger surprise, is that the Aeolus sounds like crap on the Mini. I mean, bad. I don’t even want to listen to it. I expected it to just slap harder than it does on the IHA-1, but it actually sounds congested and even muddy at times. Weird stuff.

May 5, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #1,984 of 2,809
Here’s a ranking of my current open backs on my two amps, one of which is a GS-X Mini that I just got in on Monday. The Mini has about 35 hours of burn-in time now and I only have a balanced cable for my ZMF, so consider this very preliminary. Still, you’ll see there are some interesting findings. The IHA-1 tubes are Natural Sound CV181-T and Grant Fidelity PSvane West Electric 274B replica. The Mini has the Alps RK27.

HeadAmp GS-X Mini:
* 1. Hifiman Arya (SE) *
* 2. Beyer T1 (SE) *
* 3. ZMF Aeolus (Balanced) *

Dragon Inspire IHA-1:
* 1. ZMF Aeolus *
* 2. Beyer T1 *
* 3. Hifiman Arya *

Two surprises here for me...

First, the T1 performs way better than I expected on the Mini, and I think that offers some good evidence for just how great an amp it is. The T1 sounds better on some tracks than the Arya and is a close second here (it’s also a close second on the IHA-1, but that’s not a shocker). I’ll be interested to see how balanced output improves Arya when my new Norne Drausk Lite arrives.

Second, and the bigger surprise, is that the Aeolus sounds like crap on the Mini. I mean, bad. I don’t even want to listen to it. I expected it to just slap harder than it does on the IHA-1, but it actually sounds congested and even muddy at times. Weird stuff.
Interesting,
Maybe try the Aeolus single ended if you can? *edit - just realized you don't have SE of Aeolus*

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #1,986 of 2,809
Interesting,
Maybe try the Aeolus single ended if you can?
OK, yeah, the results are pretty similar. I’m probably exaggerating a bit about how bad the ZMF sounds – I do mean relative to the IHA-1. I love the elevated midbass off the IHA-1, but it’s just not that enjoyable on the GS-X.

May 10, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,987 of 2,809
Has anyone here tried/heard from someone else testing 115v vs 230v on the Mini? For my last bit of upgrade/experiment I'm thinking of getting a power conditioner with toroidal transformer. I have an option to get 115v or 230v out. The Mini has a switch inside to change voltage. I wonder if higher voltage would also reduce the heat on the Mini.

edit: nevermind. The 230v unit will require a different kind of power cable. My current ones will not fit so I'm crossing out this option of going to 230v

Edit2: they found a US standard output. I will be getting a Keces BP 600. Will post results in a week

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,989 of 2,809
May 17, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,991 of 2,809
@justin w.
Hi Justin! Sent you an email last week re: instructions how to change voltage on the mini. Can DM or post here.

edit: received. Thanks!!

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,992 of 2,809
1621294065051.png

In case someone in the future wants to know how to change input voltage from 115v to 230v.
Soldering is needed. In the picture (from left to right), 6+7+3 and 4+0+1 are connected which makes it 115V. Wires from 7+3 and 4+0 (red) needs to be cut, then 3+4 (blue) needs to be joined. Wouldve been nice if they were pins so I can easily switch voltages. Wish me luck tomorrow /sweat

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #1,993 of 2,809

In case someone in the future wants to know how to change input voltage from 115v to 230v.
Soldering is needed. In the picture (from left to right), 6+7+3 and 4+0+1 are connected which makes it 115V. Wires from 7+3 and 4+0 (red) needs to be cut, then 3+4 (blue) needs to be joined. Wouldve been nice if they were pins so I can easily switch voltages. Wish me luck tomorrow /sweat
Be careful. I bet those capacitors store a lot of juice.

May 18, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,995 of 2,809
Mini finally arrived today, and it's been a pretty amazing experience so far.

Quick question, is the volume knob suppose to get HOT (alps)? I expected the rest of it to be a furnace, but the knob was a bit of a surprise as it's pretty unpleasant to change the volume after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back