New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #2,056 of 2,819
Alright, it's setup. Now it begins. I do like the satin champagne color.

4zx9sm.jpg

4z3bbp.jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #2,059 of 2,819
My preliminary findings, even without burn in, lean heavily in favor of the gs-x mini. The difference is night and day, and it hasn't even been a day since I plugged up the gs-x. With just 4 hours of listening through the gs-x, I respectfully disagree with Zeos' assessment and comparison of the two amps. It's not even close. The Singxer does have that Class A sound, it's just that the gs-x mini does everything better. I'll give a more in-depth comparison after burning it in.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #2,060 of 2,819
My preliminary findings, even without burn in, lean heavily in favor of the gs-x mini. The difference is night and day, and it hasn't even been a day since I plugged up the gs-x. With just 4 hours of listening through the gs-x, I respectfully disagree with Zeos' assessment and comparison of the two amps. It's not even close. The Singxer does have that Class A sound, it's just that the gs-x mini does everything better. I'll give a more in-depth comparison after burning it in.
Yup. Not even close. SingXer sounds like a toy in comparison.

May 28, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #2,061 of 2,819
Yup. Not even close. SingXer sounds like a toy in comparison.
I would go that far its 'toy in comparison', since every person has different expectations how someting has to sound, to sound 'right'. Additionally my daily variation in mood can even make my best gear sound dull from time to time :smirk:.
The SA-1 can power many headphones to some extend as good as the GS-X mini, but maybe not in all combinations. I doubt there is even a specific/typical class A sound, just the availability of full power at any given time and load brings the best driver output (headphone or speaker) possible over all frequencies.
The issue with the influencers/"reviewers" like Zeos is, he does not spend infinite amount of time with one product and judges stuff not from the perspective of spending his own money and relies on the goodwill of companies to send stuff free also in the future or the revenue from affiliate links.
In my opinion the Singxer is still a very good amp, but the GS-X mini is naturally and as expected the better amp in some aspects for sure (the price difference also idicates this rightfully).

May 28, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #2,062 of 2,819
I would go that far its 'toy in comparison', since every person has different expectations how someting has to sound, to sound 'right'. Additionally my daily variation in mood can even make my best gear sound dull from time to time :smirk:.
The SA-1 can power many headphones to some extend as good as the GS-X mini, but maybe not in all combinations. I doubt there is even a specific/typical class A sound, just the availability of full power at any given time and load brings the best driver output (headphone or speaker) possible over all frequencies.
The issue with the influencers/"reviewers" like Zeos is, he does not spend infinite amount of time with one product and judges stuff not from the perspective of spending his own money and relies on the goodwill of companies to send stuff free also in the future or the revenue from affiliate links.
In my opinion the Singxer is still a very good amp, but the GS-X mini is naturally and as expected the better amp in some aspects for sure (the price difference also idicates this rightfully).
Totally agree with your breakdown of Zeos flawed approach. And you’re right. For the money, SingXer might be a good value. To my ears, it sounded artificial. Perhaps I was expecting more and set myself up for disappointment.

May 28, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #2,063 of 2,819
Totally agree with your breakdown of Zeos flawed approach. And you’re right. For the money, SingXer might be a good value. To my ears, it sounded artificial. Perhaps I was expecting more and set myself up for disappointment.
@godmax Yeah, I do think the SingXer offers a type of sound that is hard (impossible?) to find at the price, at least in new stock. My one quibble with what you said is an amp’s timbre can be wrong -- a piano can sound off, a recording you’ve heard on 100 amps can sound totally different. It’s still subjective, still up to what the individual hears, but there can be a right and wrong.

Not saying that’s definitely an issue with the SingXer, but it seemed that way to me in my brief listen and comparison to a bunch of other amps. It was just.. odd sounding. I thought the Jot 2 was easily competitive in sound quality, even without being pure class A.

Curious if anyone has compared the SingXer (or GS-X) to the RebelAmp?

May 28, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,064 of 2,819

First off, congrats on the new amp, It looks great in the champagne!
Your preliminary findings don't surprise me at all. I remember seeing that purple GSX on Zeos's desk and getting excited that his review was incoming. I really enjoy Zeos's reviews and subscribe to his channel. So the review finally dropped and I remember feeling bummed after watching it. I had already spent all that extra money on the GSX Mini. Having said that, you have to expect Zeos is going to have a bias which may have nothing to do with the way something sounds. He has a life to live, a mortgage to pay, and YT is the hub of his full time job. So I did a little digging. Apos sent him that SA-1 review unit. Headamp did not send Zeos that purple GSX Mini, one of his patrons dropped it off to evaluate. If you click on the GSX Mini link Zeos provides, you go directly to the product page, just as you would searching it out yourself. Now if you click on the SA-1 link Zeos provides, you go to it's product page but if you look at the actual web address, it's not the same as searching it out yourself (like it was on GSX Mini). This tells us that his APOS link is part of an affiliate program and he gets a percentage of each sale from this link. GSX mini makes him nothing. Zeos said they sounded just about the same. Think about it, thousands of people watching this video are potentially choosing between the two. Doesn't it make more sense to pick the much Cheeper amp if they sound the same? It also makes the viewer feel validated in that they're getting a hell of a deal. An $1800 amp's equal at $600. Seems like a no brainer! Now is this evil? Not in my opinion. As i said earlier, he's got a life to pay for and his channel isn't a public service. Just know your players while you play the game. Those are my thoughts.

Chibs

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,065 of 2,819
First off, congrats on the new amp, It looks great in the champagne!
Your preliminary findings don't surprise me at all. I remember seeing that purple GSX on Zeos's desk and getting excited that his review was incoming. I really enjoy Zeos's reviews and subscribe to his channel. So the review finally dropped and I remember feeling bummed after watching it. I had already spent all that extra money on the GSX Mini. Having said that, you have to expect Zeos is going to have a bias which may have nothing to do with the way something sounds. He has a life to live, a mortgage to pay, and YT is the hub of his full time job. So I did a little digging. Apos sent him that SA-1 review unit. Headamp did not send Zeos that purple GSX Mini, one of his patrons dropped it off to evaluate. If you click on the GSX Mini link Zeos provides, you go directly to the product page, just as you would searching it out yourself. Now if you click on the SA-1 link Zeos provides, you go to it's product page but if you look at the actual web address, it's not the same as searching it out yourself (like it was on GSX Mini). This tells us that his APOS link is part of an affiliate program and he gets a percentage of each sale from this link. GSX mini makes him nothing. Zeos said they sounded just about the same. Think about it, thousands of people watching this video are potentially choosing between the two. Doesn't it make more sense to pick the much Cheeper amp if they sound the same? It also makes the viewer feel validated in that they're getting a hell of a deal. An $1800 amp's equal at $600. Seems like a no brainer! Now is this evil? Not in my opinion. As i said earlier, he's got a life to pay for and his channel isn't a public service. Just know your players while you play the game. Those are my thoughts.

Chibs
A lot of reviewers do the affiliate links… I honestly don’t think it’s nefarious like that. I think he genuinely couldn’t tell the difference.

May 28, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #2,066 of 2,819
That’s what happens when “reviewing” turns into a business with mortgage on the line. That’s my 2cents.

May 28, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #2,067 of 2,819
@godmax Yeah, I do think the SingXer offers a type of sound that is hard (impossible?) to find at the price, at least in new stock. My one quibble with what you said is an amp’s timbre can be wrong -- a piano can sound off, a recording you’ve heard on 100 amps can sound totally different. It’s still subjective, still up to what the individual hears, but there can be a right and wrong.

Not saying that’s definitely an issue with the SingXer, but it seemed that way to me in my brief listen and comparison to a bunch of other amps. It was just.. odd sounding. I thought the Jot 2 was easily competitive in sound quality, even without being pure class A.

Curious if anyone has compared the SingXer (or GS-X) to the RebelAmp?
Without long term evaluation it’s unfair for me to crap on it but It didn't wow me in any kind of way.

May 28, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,068 of 2,819
A lot of reviewers do the affiliate links… I honestly don’t think it’s nefarious like that. I think he genuinely couldn’t tell the difference.
Differences were NOT “small”. If he can’t tell the difference, what does it say about his competence? I can think of only one thing in his defense. He might be overwhelmed with crap he agrees to review. And rushing those reviews out the door is showing. I mean…… he reviews LED bulbs and toilet bidet for Christ sake!
On top of all that, he does his unboxing channel and cooking channel. SMH/LMAO. 🤣

May 28, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #2,069 of 2,819

I would say the Singxer punches above it's price bracket. It's a smooth sounding amp, that "creamifies" (thanks Zeos) the music while retaining a decent amount of detail. For the price, you would be hard pressed to find better. If you are on a budget, the Singxer should be able to get it done. If you are able to acquire the gs-x mini, that's even better. In all honesty, they're leagues apart. And yeah, to FYFL's point, I do hear that artificial timbre and/or tone to the Singxer that I was only able to pick up on after comparing the two amps. If I said they were the "practically the same" amp, I would be lying to myself. I was completely satisfied with the Singxer, but after hearing the GS-X Mini, I can't go back listening to the Singxer, there's no way (at least voluntarily). You "can" argue that the Singxer has good price to performance, but you can't compare the Singxer with the gs-x and conclude that they are practically the same amp. The GS-X is a game changer.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #2,070 of 2,819
While a bit of disclosure would have been appreciated, I already explained that I don't see this as overtly evil.
Wether or not his opinion was trustworthy is up to interpretation. Considering those with both amps say they do notice difference, I'm inclined to believe them over Zeos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back