Need "upgrade" to my Sennheisers
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shakgriig

New Head-Fier
So I am looking for a something to replace my HD 439s for as cheap as possible without being a huge downgrade(not that these are high end anyway) for my uses. My issue is that the pads don't fit quite well enough on my ears so why my right ear is fine enough, my left war is constantly uncomfortable but the clamping force is perfect. I find the audio quality good enough for me as I not even close to being an audiophile, not to say that I don't know bad quality headphones when I hear them. I use them mostly for gaming when I can't disturb people around me so they need to be closed. I do also use them for music sometimes, not as often as gaming, but the music I listen to ranges from classical, rock, metal, acoustic, ska and basically everything but country and rap/hip-hop. I am also in a poor location to be able to go try out headphones before I buy them and there really isn't anywhere to do that with a wide selection.

I don'y necessarily need a completely new set of headphones if some sort of mod or pad swap with higher end Sennheiser models is possible. If new headphones are the best choice then I would prefer ones with velour/fabric pads like my 439s but not completely needed. I want to keep it around $100 but the lower the better. I am not against buying used or refurbs.

Some of the model I have looked at: (considering switching pads with DT250 or SRH940 pads for compatible ones)
Shure SRH840 (used)
Audio Technica ATH-700X (refurb but still a little high in price)
Audio Technica ATH-900X (refurb but still a little high in price)
Samson SR950 (haven't really been able to find info about them)
Koss ProDJ100 (needs pad swap from what I have read)
Gemini HSR-1000 aka Takstar PRO 80 (read that is not good for bigger heads)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (used or refurb)
AKG K272HD (used/refurb/seems like a bass downgrade though)
AKG K271 MK II (used/refurb/seems like a bass downgrade also)
AKG K550 (if I get lucky with an eBay auction or something)
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (also if I get lucky like with the K550)
M-Audio Q40 (not sure if worth it compared to other choices for lower prices)
Creative Aurana Live!
KRK KNS8400

I have been searching for a few weeks and have yet to some to a conclusion so I am seeking help on this issue. The main things are that I want the comfort upgrade without getting a worse sounding pair of headphones and although almost everyone I have looked at seems to be an audio upgrade. I am open to other suggestions if you have them.

edit: Forgot to mention that I wear glasses.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 12
If comfort is a big issue for you, I would cross the SRH840 off the list (although those sound really good, I found the comfort quite lacking with its earcups being somewhat shallow.

Of the choices you listed there, I would recommend

ATH-M50 (with DT250 pads, might be able to score a used pair for 80 bucks + 20 for the pads, great sounding and built like a tank)

ATH-900X (heard lots of good things about this, haven't personally used.  I've seen these go for 99.99 refurbed on ebay before.  The Audio technica wings design are very loose clamping and might not be good for you if you have a smaller head, but will be very comfortable if you have a med-large to large sized head).

Creative Aurvana Lives (one of my all time favorite headphones for the price.  I found these to be very comfortable and sound great.  However, I wouly only get these if you can score them for 70 dollars or less.  If you can get refurbed or lightly used pair on ebay for 50-60 bcuks, I would recommend these without a heartbeat).

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 12
In regards to the 900X fit size I am sure I would be fine as my friends AD700 fit well on my head.

How much would the CALs be effected if switched to non-leather pads?(if that is possible on them)

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 12
If your head fits fine on the AD700s, then it should be fine on the A900x.

I have never switched pads on the Creative Aurvana Lives (not sure if there are other compatible pads), but from reading online, switching to Velour like pads from leather will reduce the bass impact.

In your case I would try to hunt down the A900x since I've actually heard a lot of really good reviews on them and sound quality wise, they're probably better than the M50s and CAL.  There's a refurbed on ebay right now for 129 with best offer, so you can try to offer them 99.00. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Well while the ATH-900x seems like the best I am not sure because if I decide to change to velour pads its not so easy, especially if I get the ones for the AD900x which costs $35-45 and I do not know if beyer, akg or other fit on them.

Aug 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 12
If you are very adament about changing to velour pads, then the M50s is probably the safest way to go.  I personally used my cousin's M50s extensively with the DT250 pads and they are a perfect fit.  (He claims that it loses a little bit of bass, but overall is MUCH more comfortable and breathes much more easily than with the stock pleathers).  I'm sure you can probably get M50s on these classied forums for around 80 shipped, as they go for 99.99 shipped brand new sometimes online. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back