Need help with my first high quality IEM purchase.
Sep 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Slashed

New Head-Fier
Hi, the title says it all, I need your expert opinions. My price range is between $250-$400.

I usually listen to Classical, Alternative Rock, Dubstep, and some Rap.
I'd like a good amount bass impact but it doesn't need to be the main focus. 
I'll also probably be working out in these so i'd need something that would stay in my ear.
I'd like them to be stylish but its not a priority. 
I had previously been looking at some atomic floyd supers but its hard to find them in the states, so that didn't work out.

thanks for the all the help in advance, 
Slashed

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 8
That is quite a budget for a first set, that will also be worked out in.

My advice... Save some money and start slowly.

Etymotic MC5.

Jim

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
That is quite a budget for a first set, that will also be worked out in.
My advice... Save some money and start slowly.
Etymotic MC5.
Jim

And in comes Jim with the Ety call!
biggrin.gif

While I haven't heard the MC5's, he does make a point. Start low, then work your way up. You won't appreciate them as much if you start that high, simply because you won't be attuned to listening for certain things (apologies if it sounds harsh, just my experience). I would personally say go for some VSonic GR07's. Good for the genres you mentioned, look cool (who doesn't love shiny brown?) and shouldn't have a problem with working out. Either those, or if you can sacrifice the looks a tad and get some amping, the RE262's may also be great for those. At least I loved them for that :wink:

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 8
For what your looking for the W4 might work or if you want to save a bit the GR07, e-Q5 and BA200 would be good ones to look at.  You don't have to spend $300 or $400 to get really good sound quality, the last 3 I mentioned can all compete with the big boys imo and all cost right at or under $200.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
This isnt my first set, I've had two different pairs of Bose IEMs but they break too easily. I just need them to be sturdy enough for me to work out in.

All the more reason to buy an economy set...

Jim

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII definitely, great build quality and sound, with nice bass impact and clarity
Or shure SE535, the mids are very forward though. 425 are more neutral, 535 warmer.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 8
I also agree with Jims sentiment here. Although for your music tastes I would look at the GR06 and AT CKS-500.

Dont ruin good IEMs by sweating into them.

I have a set of GR06. For the money they are hugely capable, good solid mid-bass response, nice clear vocals and a pretty sweet treble. They are not hugely extended top and bottom, but they won't give you a headache. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back