Need help picking headphone
Jul 14, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 20
When you say a headphone needs an amp does it mean that you cant hear the music without one? cuz some people are suggesting the hd600 without an amp and arent suggesting the hd650 without an amp, I dont understand this because because they are both 300 ohm impedance models. could someone explain?

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #17 of 20
Any audio device has an amp. We, by saying it needs an amp, are meaning it needs it's own dedicated full size amplifier. Using a very resistive headphone (such as the HD600 or HD650, which are almost identical in function) will not sound very good without a good amount of power. The minuscule amplifier in portable devices have neither the current (amps) nor the voltage required to run such headphones as we are discussing.

Think about it this way, would you put a high performance engine in a road race car without upgrading the suspension also? You would be fast, but only in a straight line because your car couldn't handle the power or speeds with the stock suspension. In the headphone you would have the beginnings of clarity, space, timbre, but not the full signature sound.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #18 of 20
I know everyone hates the stock ipod earbuds, but theyre the only thing I can make a comparison with...So which is louder without the amp and cranked up to full volume on the ipod, the hd600's or the ipod stock earbuds

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
When you say a headphone needs an amp does it mean that you cant hear the music without one? cuz some people are suggesting the hd600 without an amp and arent suggesting the hd650 without an amp, I dont understand this because because they are both 300 ohm impedance models. could someone explain?

I can't explain why, but I can say that in direct testing with lesser amps (like my old Echo indigo IO and computer audio outs), the HD600 sounded better then the HD650 with weaker amplification to me. They both benefit from high end amplification, but the HD650 really needs it to impress.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #20 of 20
My reminder to OP is that everyone's ears are different. My best suggestion right now, is if comfort is number one concern for you, go to BESTBUY or wherever and try on some Grados. Heck, do that even if comfort isn't big to you.

So you should try some cans on, and I personally believe Grados is the way to go with you. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back