Need help picking headphone
Jul 10, 2010 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

trane

New Head-Fier
Im new to high quality headphones, so I have no idea what to look for. My friend helped me narrow down some brands: Sennheiser, akg, grado, audio technica, beyerdynamic, shure, ultrasone. Are there more brands i should look into? I listen to jazz, soul, blues, and some hip-hop and reggae.

Are there any specifications i should look for in headphones? Im interested in what peoples recommendations are, but i also understand that itll be biased, so knowing good specifications will be helpful. I just wanna know the basics before I commit to buying expensive headphones.

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Are there any specifications i should look for in headphones? Im interested in what peoples recommendations are, but i also understand that itll be biased, so knowing good specifications will be helpful. I just wanna know the basics before I commit to buying expensive headphones.

Basics? on high quality headphone i suggest to test the entry tier on headphones. popular choices here are the Grado sr80/225 which are open for Beyer dt 770, Denon has the D2000, same goes for the closed ATH700 , Sen 650/600 and the AKGs everyone has a different sound signature and i suggest to know/research exactly what you're looking for in a headphone before dropping some moolah on the table

and yes electrostats is the final destination of most headphone conquest

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 20
k thx, i was thinking of getting open headphones for my dorm, cuz i heard they have the better sound quality, and then some cheap in ears so i dont bother ppl in the library and in public. any suggestions for >$50 ie?

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 20
At your price range I'd certainly stay away from mid range Sennheiser or AKG due to amp cost.

AudioTechnica AD900

Ultrasone HFI780

Beyerdynamic DT880 32ohm

Grado SR325i

Give a look at those.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 20
Thx maxvla that helped alot. I was thinking of buying akg k701 or the sennheiser hd600 until you said that. I didnt know they wouldnt be loud enough straight from my ipod. Im thinking of buying the grados but ppl keep saying theyre best for rock and metal, and i dont listen to either. Also are they as uncomfortable as some ppl say? I just want a pair of headphones i can relax in for up to 4 hours.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 20
I'd get the AD900s as they don't need good amplification to shine.

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Thx maxvla that helped alot. I was thinking of buying akg k701 or the sennheiser hd600 until you said that. I didnt know they wouldnt be loud enough straight from my ipod. Im thinking of buying the grados but ppl keep saying theyre best for rock and metal, and i dont listen to either. Also are they as uncomfortable as some ppl say? I just want a pair of headphones i can relax in for up to 4 hours.

Some of the mid-range Grados are a bit smoother like the 325i which is the only reason I listed it. Also the Alessandro series is like Grado but balanced more to your genres, you might take a look at those as well.

I can't stand the Grado fit, regardless of pads, but there are some who find them perfectly comfortable. You'd have to try them yourself to know for sure. If comfort is a concern at all, the AD900 looks better and better, as it's a universally comfortable headphone. The only complaint some have with the AT phones is they can be a bit loose so you don't want to jerk your head suddenly or they might fall off.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Some of the mid-range Grados are a bit smoother like the 325i which is the only reason I listed it. Also the Alessandro series is like Grado but balanced more to your genres, you might take a look at those as well.

I can't stand the Grado fit, regardless of pads, but there are some who find them perfectly comfortable. You'd have to try them yourself to know for sure. If comfort is a concern at all, the AD900 looks better and better, as it's a universally comfortable headphone. The only complaint some have with the AT phones is they can be a bit loose so you don't want to jerk your head suddenly or they might fall off.

One of them is me :), I would suggest Alessandro MS2i's. Those excel in Blues for sure, the other genres it will do good with

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 20
I agree with the HD-600. One of the best out there at any price, but I wonder if it is perceived as "old" because the various Ultrasones, Audio-Technicas, et al. usually are recommended over it. But the HD-600 is a classic like a navy blazer or a little black dress. The others have their charms, but a HD-600 is something you truly can't go wrong with. They do like amplification, but you can get it from an old two channel receiver found at a junk store. You can also build your own if you want. Also, I'll disagree about 'stats being the ultimate iteration of headphones. I still prefer the K-1000 to the O2 for soundstage. You also get a much cooler array of tubes (including DHT) to power dynamic headphones. Though electrostatic speakers are possibly my favorite overall....

Jul 10, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 20
I agree the HD600 is a great phone, but after my experience I just can't suggest it without proper amping. They sound completely different from an ipod than an amp pushing a few watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back